android
Old 05-21-2010, 05:31 PM

Default Assistance Putting Rockbox on V2 Fuze

So I am not too tech savvy. The directions for putting RB on my Fuze are confusing me. Am I supposed to downgrade the firmware? I have the latest firmware: 2.3.33 (I think thats it). Do I need to downgrade to the original firmware, 2.2.26? If so, when putting the firmware file in the root directory and disconnecting the Fuze, it did nothing.

Next, I cannot figure out how to run this stuff using Run on Windows.

First instruction says: Open a new command promt window (Windowskey+R->cmd.exe). CD to the 'rbinstall' folder ('cd Desktop\rbinstall')

Then: Run mkamsboot from the command line window you opened in the previous step, passing the name of the OF file you've downloaded and the the bootloader file you've downloaded, as well as a name you can chose yourself for the patched output file
(e.g. 'mkamsboot.exe fuzea.bin bootloader-fuze.bin patched.bin')

Good lord can somebody make sense of this for me? What does it mean to "CD to the 'rbinstall' folder? Huh? I typed stuff in the command line but have no clue if I am even doing the right thing--I have no experience with this kind of stuff whatsoever, so any help is appreciated. Also, I did a search and couldn't find anything, so if there is a thread on this already, I'd be happy with a link.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-21-2010, 07:59 PM

You might want to wait a little bit until rockbox for the v2 fuze is "Stable" i.e. all the bugs have fixed as it will also probably be supported by the Rockbox automated installer that runs directly from Windows
Quote:
Originally Posted by glove4 View Post
Am I supposed to downgrade the firmware? I have the latest firmware: 2.3.33 (I think thats it). Do I need to downgrade to the original firmware, 2.2.26? If so, when putting the firmware file in the root directory and disconnecting the Fuze, it did nothing.
The version of mkamsboot for Windows on the rockbox site can't patch Sansa Firmware newer then 2.2.26 so you when you patch the firmware you need to use this http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmwa...ze02.02.26.zip as the firmware file to patch

Quote:
Next, I cannot figure out how to run this stuff using Run on Windows.

First instruction says: Open a new command promt window (Windowskey+R->cmd.exe). CD to the 'rbinstall' folder ('cd Desktop\rbinstall')Then: Run mkamsboot from the command line window you opened in the previous step, passing the name of the OF file you've downloaded and the the bootloader file you've downloaded, as well as a name you can chose yourself for the patched output file

Good lord can somebody make sense of this for me? What does it mean to "CD to the 'rbinstall' folder? Huh?
The command line (at least on windows 7) will open up in your C:\users\<current user> directory. so if you have the mkamsboot.exe, the fuzpa.bin original firmware file and the bootloader-fuzev2.sansa patch all on the desktop you just type cd desktop and the prompt should show you are now in the C:\users\<current user>\desktop folder.

The output file from the patcher can be named anything you want however in order to have the fuze see it as being a firmware upgrade it needs to be renamed to "fuzpa.bin"
Very important: make sure you rename the right file
You will irretrievably brick your Fuze if anything other then a properly patched firmware is copied to the Fuze root directory.
The actual Rockbox firmware is separate from this bootloader and consists of a set of files in a .Rockbox folder (the contents of the zip file from the Rockbox link in the table showing the different players) this should be copied over at the same time as the bootloader otherwise the bootloader will give you a error message on startup. You can always restart the orginal (now 2.2.26 ver) firmware by holding down the |<< button when turning one the player

Old 05-22-2010, 07:06 AM

Hi Glove

I have successfully installed Rockbox. I just referred to the instructions on the Rockbox site. And dang, I would love to post some links here, but at this moment the rockbox.org site is down so I cannot link to it. I'm writing from memory here, so please double-check by reading the info on Rockbox.org. Basically, you need to refer to the instructions for the Fuze v2 (currently classed as "unstable" - but it works great for my needs - ie. gapless/cuesheet support).

You have to download just a few things, and they are all grouped together on the page to download one by one:
1. The ".rockbox" folder (it's zipped, so DL it and unzip it).
2. A file called fuzpA.bin
3. A file called bootloader-fuzev2.sansa

There are instructions on the Rockbox site about how to "patch" the fuzpA.bin file - first thing you do is press CTRL/R then run "cmd.exe" then you need to type in the command as given on the Rockbox site. This will create a new patched file, which you need to copy onto your Fuze and rename as fuzpA.bin. You also copy over the .rockbox folder.
Before copying the files to your Fuze, you need to first make sure that the USB mode is correct. Go to Settings-System Settings-USB Mode then select "MSC."
Then connect your Fuze v2 to your PC, open up the root directory window for the Fuze (it will appear just as a storage drive with folders like MUSIC, AUDIOBOOKS, etc), and drag the patched file and .rockbox folder across (not forgetting to rename the file as mentioned above).

Then unplug your USB and the firmware will update - it takes a few seconds. Then it will shut down.
When you start it again you will have Rockbox. You can always revert back to native firmware by holding down the left side of the scroll wheel whilst booting.

Now you can enable cuesheet support, and also enjoy APE and WV support (in addition to FLAC).

WARNING - I found the sound to be less smooth than the native. Even with Dither turned on, it just sounds harsher and more 'digital' to my ears.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 PM

The link to the patched fuzpa file is down. The instructions at the rockbox page (here) give a link pointing to the OF and say that you need to place the OF file in a folder with the bootloader and mkamsboot files. However, the OF link just points to a firmware updater application - you cannot just download the firmware file.

Am I missing something here? I ran the updater hoping it would leave me with a copy of the firmware file but it didn't.

Also, the two most important steps are not very clear to me:
  • Open a new command promt window (Windowskey+R->cmd.exe). CD to the 'rbinstall' folder ('cd Desktop\rbinstall')
  • Run mkamsboot from the command line window you opened in the previous step, passing the name of the OF file you've downloaded and the the bootloader file you've downloaded, as well as a name you can chose yourself for the patched output file

If anyone could point me to a pre-patched fuzpa.bin file it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyjenkis View Post
Am I missing something here? I ran the updater hoping it would leave me with a copy of the firmware file but it didn't.
Yeah, don't download the firmware updater. Download the firmware zip file instead. Its on the same page as the updater.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Yeah, don't download the firmware updater. Download the firmware zip file instead. Its on the same page as the updater.
Thanks, figured it out and am rockboxed.

I tried to add a theme by placing the theme's files in the appropriate folders within the .rockbox folder, but I don't see the option to select the new theme. I cannot find any guide online about how to install a theme - am I missing a step?

Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks, figured it out and am rockboxed.

I tried to add a theme by placing the theme's files in the appropriate folders within the .rockbox folder, but I don't see the option to select the new theme. I cannot find any guide online about how to install a theme - am I missing a step?
Check the manual.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Check the manual.
This section doesn't really have any directions other than to put the files in the appropriate folders like I think I have done. I do not think any other section has any more info on the topic.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
This section doesn't really have any directions other than to put the files in the appropriate folders like I think I have done. I do not think any other section has any more info on the topic.
Ch. 9Theme Settings doesn't cover this? What exactly was the question then?