android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Site Related > MP3 Player News

Old 05-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Viliv P3 Prime shows up on the Viliv site

Okay, this is already on the ABI homepage, but I would like to have a discussion here

Quote:
Viliv is one of those companies that make somewhat niche products that are still very impressive- such as the Viliv S5 and X70 UMPCs, the new S10 convertible netbook etc. Now a new Viliv device has popped up on their website, the P3 Prime media player.
Unfotunately Viliv like Cowon likes to incorporate their Klingon writing in pictures, so Google translate is utterly useless in trying to figure out what this thing can do. From the few words that are understandable on the product page, it's clear that it's a 3.7" AMOLED device with a resolution of 480x800. It appears to be running a dual OS Android and Windows CE combo, and possibly the Android version is even 2.1.It has a heap of SRS and other sound enhancements and play MP3, FLAC and APE.It also apparently plays 720p video, although which formats are unknown (probably all, MKV is mentioned in another spec sheet though that's not really a format). It has a MicroUSB connector as well as a MicroSDHC card slot.
There has also been some leaked information abuot this thing earlier, and if that still stands true the Windows CE version is 6.0, it has an 800Mhz Arm Cortex CPU, capacitive touch screen, accelerometer, WiFi and comes in capacities up to 32GB.
Without a complete set of confirmed features it's hard to tell if this is any good, but so far it seems awesome. If they can pull off running Android, it might be the device that Archos failed miserably trying to make with the Archos 5 IT. Viliv generally know what they're doing (contrary to Archos) and from the looks of the device it's very streamlined, but it remains to be seen how it performs. Take a look at the product page for pictures and if someone knows Korean and care to translate or fill in details let me know.
Well... i want it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

I want it too.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Yep.

Cowon disappointed me bitterly when it comes to PMPs. I hope Viliv are less retarded than that.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:20 PM

Hey man, this beast has the POTENTIAL to work.... if they can nail android market....

Old 05-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

TBH,......................I want this instead of the J3,..............it's got all the good stuffage. I just hope it has good SQ as well, considering it has SRS WOW and not BBE sound enhancements. Still, a 10 band EQ is a real nice thing to be on the device.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It certainly looks good from specs. I've been fooled by specs alone before though. First person to get one should do a quick youtube video showing the UI and media player apps. My J3 is proving to be quite a performer, even surpassing what I expected from its specs alone.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:31 PM

Yea, it definitely is the best player out, IMO. If I get my hands on one anytime soon, I'll be sure to put up a review, unless someone does before me. I'm really looking forward to the P3.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ill get the 4GB and stuff it with a 8GB SD card if i get it

Old 05-24-2010, 08:18 PM

Interesting that it has both Android and Windows CE. I'd really like one of these

Old 05-24-2010, 09:15 PM

its like a developers dream! What the Zii Egg should have been....

Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 PM

Okay, I'm really interested now.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:02 PM

Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm looking at this player to replace my broken iAudio 7. I don't usually like to buy players without some kind of review first but the old iRiver I'm using in the meantime isn't really cutting it.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Umm... welcome to ABI>> i guess

Old 05-25-2010, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
First person to get one should do a quick youtube video showing the UI and media player apps.

Source: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36148

Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My moto Droid does all of that, I just wish it had the same battery life and (hopefully) great sq. I guess I should wait then, as 2 devices rocking the same screen size and most features would be a bit redundant.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
My moto Droid does all of that, I just wish it had the same battery life and (hopefully) great sq. I guess I should wait then, as 2 devices rocking the same screen size and most features would be a bit redundant.
It would certainly be nice to know more before you commit one way or the other, I say this one might be good for a review ... /me calls EnzoTen

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

This seems like a great PMP, but I am not sure if the installed base of iPod owners would want to swing to this one. To me, it resembles an iPod Touch with the addition of a much better EQ with sound enhanements, Android and Windows CE. I think most iPod owners will care less. I am mentioning this because the DAP market is pretty much saturated as it is, and companies need to tap the iPod installed base. If they don't, potentials like this one will be just a flash in the pan, IMO.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:13 PM

Seems like this will be a good companion to my iPhone. It's like having the Nexus One without the contract. I have a Cowon S9 now so I wonder how much better this thing is.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:48 PM

More screenshot goodness: http://blog.naver.com/59hjh/40107105046

BTW: What's with all those stupid Korean sites having all texts as graphics so they can't be machine-translated? This is a really, really annoying fad - and it only seems to be popular in Korea...

Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
This seems like a great PMP, but I am not sure if the installed base of iPod owners would want to swing to this one. To me, it resembles an iPod Touch with the addition of a much better EQ with sound enhanements, Android and Windows CE. I think most iPod owners will care less. I am mentioning this because the DAP market is pretty much saturated as it is, and companies need to tap the iPod installed base. If they don't, potentials like this one will be just a flash in the pan, IMO.
Well, I don't think this player is marketed for everyone. Besides, I don't really see what else they could possible add to make people want to switch. This player is already amazing as it is. Most apple users(at least the ones I know) are completely set on thinking the Ipod is best in terms of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
More screenshot goodness: http://blog.naver.com/59hjh/40107105046

BTW: What's with all those stupid Korean sites having all texts as graphics so they can't be machine-translated? This is a really, really annoying fad - and it only seems to be popular in Korea...
Google Chrome can translate those pages.
Not the ones with the text actually in the picture though, like the one on the Viliv site.

Also, more pictures.
P3 Pictures