android
Old 05-28-2010, 08:52 AM

Default Problem play FLAC files

A have a few songs as FLAC files on my zen x-fi2, but every time i play the different FLAC files, alot of random small pauses appear during the song. The pauses is only 0.5 seconds, but its still very annoying. Anybody know how to fix this??

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 PM

I have experienced the same problem a little bit. I can't tell if it is because of FLACs that are extremely high bitrate (1000Kbps+), or if it is poor rips. One thing I have at least been pretending works is locking the player so it can hibernate and only has the task of playing the music. Hope that helps a little bit. I would be interested to know if others are having the same problem. Theoretically the players shouldn't even have issues with WAV format, which is like 2400Kbps I believe, so I am thinking my guess could be wrong and it could just be the rips or a problem maintaining the file integrity transferring the songs over.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:06 AM

I think it may be a bitrate issue, since the player has some trouble with high bitrate movies also. So it's running out of buffer and that's where the small pause comes in when I think it's rebuffering a quickie. That's what I think.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 06-19-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
I think it may be a bitrate issue, since the player has some trouble with high bitrate movies also. So it's running out of buffer and that's where the small pause comes in when I think it's rebuffering a quickie. That's what I think.

Ya... this is my guess as well given the same experience with high bitrate movies. I really do feel like locking the player and letting it sleeps helps it out a bit though, again because of my experience with movies. When watching, the movie will stutter if i open/close menus much more than when I leave the player be. I think locking it stops any random animations from happening if you accidentally touch the player or have it in your car like me where it can move and trigger the screen buttons. Anyway, any other persons experience regarding FLACs stuttering would be interesting to hear feedback from.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:30 PM

I also noticed this.

I hoped it would be a bitrate problem, so I encoded the same CD to flac -0 and to flac -6, but they both skip. It also happens when the player is on hold.

Okay I think I confused bitrate with compression now.. How do you lower the bitrate on FLAC files?

Also, I don't think it's caused by bad rips or anything, because it always happens at a different time in the song. I also believe it's some sort of buffer overload.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:23 PM

To my understanding the bitrate on FLAC files is determined by the highest bitrate necessary to successfully reproduce the most audially complex moment of the song... That is why FLAC files will range from ~750Kbps to upwards of 1100Kbps, just depends on what the song itself demands to be exactly reproduced. As I noted before, the X-Fi2 only seems to have real trouble with the files of mine that are 1000Kbps+. Will take more time with it to fully assess this, though, it seems to be occurring less lately.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 PM

According to the Creative website the player can only play flac files up to 1.1mbps. Could this be the problem?

Old 07-26-2010, 06:03 PM

.wav is 1411.33 kbps not 2400. I have no idea where you got that number from Astro.

Use preset 8 for the best compression. . . I don't know why one would ever use 0. Actually I don't why one would bother using FLAC on a DAP, Its just not worth the memory, even on my i7.

1.1 mbps = 1100 kbps I guess.

Last edited by Satellite_6; 07-26-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM

Hi, did anybody get to the bottom of this. My new x-fi2 does this every time I use it after approx 15 minutes of playing. It pauses for 0.5secs 2 or 3 times within 10seconds of each other and then carries on playing quite happily after that. This happens on all of my FLAC compressed albums. I have tried to immediately go back to the beginning of a track which it stutters on and it plays fine, proving that it’s not a problem with the file. I only have FLAC files on the x-fi2 at the moment so I will put some mp3’s on it and retest. Any input would be most welcome before I get in touch with Creative.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Just a practical question: I know that lossless audio codecs are cool but is there anyone who can actually hear any difference between flac and 320kbps mp3? Or is it just that everyone is pretending?
Sure, the advantage of lossless formats is that you can avoid lossy to lossy (e.g. mp3 to ogg) conversions which are the cause of quality degradation, but that's about it.
Why not convert your flac to more compact format when it is preferable?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohajc View Post
Just a practical question: I know that lossless audio codecs are cool but is there anyone who can actually hear any difference between flac and 320kbps mp3? Or is it just that everyone is pretending?
Sure, the advantage of lossless formats is that you can avoid lossy to lossy (e.g. mp3 to ogg) conversions which are the cause of quality degradation, but that's about it.
Why not convert your flac to more compact format when it is preferable?
I can, but on a DAP the differences will be marginal at best. Save memory and use high bit rate lossy. FLAC takes up about 3x the memory of the mp3 files I use (on average), therefore it's only really worth bothering with on a HiFi setup where you have plenty of hard drive space.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 AM

I bought a 30GB model and a 16GB memory card so that I would have enough memory for FLAC, so I'm a bit disappointed at the moment unless I can find a reason for the pauses

Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Aside from the question whether it's worth to use FLAC or not, it's a feature of this player that isn't working right and didn't get fixed in firmware updates. It's sad to see the problem still persists and I'm curious to know what Creative has to say about it.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:18 AM

Me too. Last night I put an mp3 album on the player and I listened to it on the way into work this morning and there were no pauses, proving to me that it is a problem with the player reading the FLAC files. I will write to Creative.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:44 AM

I have had a response from Creative: Basically they want me to transfer the FLAC files to the X-Fi2 with the bundled Creative Centrale to ensure the format is supported by the ZEN X-Fi2. Then if problem still exists, to install firmware version 1.22.03.
OK, I am already running firmware version 1.22.03 so nothing to do there. However I have been using MediaMonkey to transfer the files so that the album art works with the FLAC files, but I will transfer 1 album with Creative Centrale and see if that fixes it. If it fixes it, then no more album art with FLAC for me :-(

Old 01-14-2011, 02:03 PM

I'm not sure why that would help.. except when Centrale converts it, and that information would be helpful if that plays fine.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:15 PM

I have a feeling that there are occasional gaps even with flac at preset 8 (the best compression and smallest bitrate).

Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 AM

OK, I transferred 2 FLAC albums with Creative Centrale and there is no difference, just after 20mins of continuous play I get 3 or 4 skips and then it carries on playing uninterrupted. Interestingly, I tried 1 FLAC album on my son's 8GB X-Fi2 and that also skipped just after 20mins of continuous play. His player also has firmware version 1.22.03. I have written back to Creative support this morning. Is it worth beginning a new thread asking if anybody on here is playing FLAC compressed music without problems and if so, how are they compressing and transferring it and which firmware version?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 AM

This is what I received last Saturday:
'
Thank you for contacting Creative Technical Support.
Looking at Creative Centrale rip settings, it only gives you an option to choose mp3 and wma format.
Would you please send us a screenshot (less than 1MB in JPEG format) of Creative Centrale rip settings where it ask you to choose it to FLAC format?'

Rather worrying isn't it?
Anyway, I sent them a screenshot On Monday but still haven't heard anything back. I chased them again this morning.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:27 PM

Eh Centrale can't convert to FLAC, isn't it? (not sure since I don't use Centrale..)

Too bad their suggestion to transfer it with their software didn't help, I kinda have the feeling they don't recognize the problem and just tell people to use their software and stuff, just stating the obvious without acknowledging anything.

As for starting a new thread asking if anyone is playing FLAC successfully, I've only read complaints about it in multiple threads and no one ever said that it works fine...