android
Old 06-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Default Cannot delete folder

I was rearranging my songs on my E345 and was in the process of deleting some folders. One folder is giving me trouble. Everytime I try to delete it, I get an error message saying the storage is write protected. It says I should remove the write protection and try again. I never write protected it in the first place. How can I delete the folder?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC_783 View Post
I was rearranging my songs on my E345 and was in the process of deleting some folders. One folder is giving me trouble. Everytime I try to delete it, I get an error message saying the storage is write protected. It says I should remove the write protection and try again. I never write protected it in the first place. How can I delete the folder?
Use the E's own format command. Obviously, make sure everything is backed up on your computer first though.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey JayC:

I agree with Marvin - Sony's format command should wipe the device and allow you to start from scratch, but def back up all your music/videos/pictures first, obviously. However, a few questions:

- what specific folder are you trying to delete?
- why exactly do you wish to delete this folder?
- how exactly are you trying to delete this folder?

cheers!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-07-2010, 08:58 AM

I was afraid formatting might be the only option. I like my E but it takes forever to move songs to this thing.

Quote:
- what specific folder are you trying to delete?
- why exactly do you wish to delete this folder?
The folder is just a folder I had created for various artists. I had a bunch of different folders for various artists and just decided to put the songs in one folder on the player.

Quote:
- how exactly are you trying to delete this folder?
I was trying to delete through Windows Explorer.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC_783 View Post
I was afraid formatting might be the only option. I like my E but it takes forever to move songs to this thing.

The folder is just a folder I had created for various artists. I had a bunch of different folders for various artists and just decided to put the songs in one folder on the player.

I was trying to delete through Windows Explorer.
The same thing has happened to me on my S545, the folder that wouldn't go away. At one point I was almost exclusively using just that player, and swapping content in and out all the time....I could delete the contents of the folder, but not the folder itself.

I understand what you're saying about the load time though....if you format it takes an eternity to load the thing full again. Luckily for me, now that I have three players, their contents are pretty much constant....I haven't changed anything on my two Sony players in weeks now. And the only thing on my Clip+ that has changed are the podcasts.....but at least if I wanted to change that one up, it loads far, far faster.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 AM

I went ahead and pulled all my songs off the player and formatted it. That folder sitting around not be able to be deleted is just the thing that drives me crazy. I figured I would just redo the songs than obsessing over some folder.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

JayC: Glad you got it sorted out. ...Weird how stuff like that sometimes happens...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 PM

Default How to delete folder without reformatting

“Write Protection” is a ticklish problem, but may be solvable (short of re-formating) by checking the original files which, most likely, came from a CD copy. To see the attributes, right click on the icon and go down to select properties. There you will find “read only” highlighted for both the album folder and its subfiles or songs. At this point the trick of avoiding “write protection” is to select the “read” attribute to unselect “read”. Then select “Apply” and a window pops up showing boxes, one of which will say apply to folders, sub-folders or files, etc. Click on that box, then click on “OK”. You will notice that the folder “read” attribute will remain highlighted, but that the subfolders’ attributes do not!! (This is for Windows XP) At this point proceed to copy this folder OVER the same folder. You will be asked if you want to overwrite the existing folder with the same name. YES, please. The files will be replaced with identical file data, except the “read” attribute will be blank or unhighlighted, and NOW you can delete the folder.