android
Old 06-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Help Zune Library Data to New Computer?

I'm putting together a new computer and am curious about how to keep all my Zune library data intact. I'm not so concerned about the music/picture/video files themselves as I will just throw those on an external and move them over, but I'm worried about all the data related to them.

I've put a lot of effort into my hearts and don't want to lose them, same with individual song play-counts and other library info like this. How do I get this sort of information to the new computer?

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-09-2010, 11:51 AM

hook the zune up to the new computer, open the software (make sure manual sync is on) to to device> whatever content you want on the new computer> select all the content> right click>copy to collection....this should keep all your hearts, playlists, and music/movie data that you have in them.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:02 PM

"Heart" ratings are stored inside the actual music files (as long as the files can be written to by the Zune software), unless you configured the software to have non-shared ratings.

So, just copying the files will work for that.

Your "Collection" track play counts won't carry over... it's database/PC specific. The Zune Social play statistics, however, won't be impacted since those are stored in your Zune account at Microsoft.

FYI: Using reverse sync is not a good idea unless it's an emergency, since content can be transcoded/converted at sync depending on your settings and media types. In other words, you may not get back the same file.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:13 PM

FYI, from my post in the Zune official forums if you really, really want to try to keep your per track Collection plays:

"But if you are rebuilding your Windows system, and nothing changes in your file structure, you might be able to migrate the collection/settings "as is" using a very unsupported method. Remember, all content needs to be in the exact same drive and folder hierarchy as it was on the original PC or this will not work. Basically, the new system needs to be as close to the original as possible.

You'll need to copy everything in your Zune application data folder in your account. Here is a "normal" location on a Vista or XP system: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Zune (These directories will be hidden.) The actual database is ZuneStore.sdf.

After installing the Zune software on the new box, copy everything in the Zune application data hierarchy from your old PC to your PC... and copy all your media content to exactly the same places on your new PC.

Then cross your fingers, launch the Zune software... and hope it all works. Disclaimer: I've only done this to save local play counts and user specific (non-global) song ratings... which was successful, but I did this a long time ago."

Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 PM

You can't simply copy and paste your collection? I don't really use the hearts, I use Window's integrated star-rating system, which automatically translates to hearts in the Zune software. As others have said, though, it shouldn't matter, as if you simply copy and paste your collection the hearts should be preserved.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
FYI, from my post in the Zune official forums if you really, really want to try to keep your per track Collection plays:

"But if you are rebuilding your Windows system, and nothing changes in your file structure, you might be able to migrate the collection/settings "as is" using a very unsupported method. Remember, all content needs to be in the exact same drive and folder hierarchy as it was on the original PC or this will not work. Basically, the new system needs to be as close to the original as possible.

You'll need to copy everything in your Zune application data folder in your account. Here is a "normal" location on a Vista or XP system: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Zune (These directories will be hidden.) The actual database is ZuneStore.sdf.

After installing the Zune software on the new box, copy everything in the Zune application data hierarchy from your old PC to your PC... and copy all your media content to exactly the same places on your new PC.

Then cross your fingers, launch the Zune software... and hope it all works. Disclaimer: I've only done this to save local play counts and user specific (non-global) song ratings... which was successful, but I did this a long time ago."
I believe all you need is the Zunestore.sdf file... haven't tried it myself but I recommended it as a trial once and the poster said it worked.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I use the heart ratings for a dynamic playlist, and have put ~7 months so far into slowly listening to every song and giving a heart to the ones I want. The HD is my first Zune

Also, I have a playlist of 200 songs with 0 plays which gets updated every time I sync, which is how I have been going through and adding the hearts, and that is why I don't want to lose my local playcount either.

Unfortunately the file structure pointing to the music will be much different on the new machine as it is now.

Once I get the rig all put together I guess I will try:
1. Copy everything over as-is and hope for the best.
2. If that doesn't work: temporarily set up the file structure on the old computer's zune software to match the new, THEN copy everything over (100% fresh).
3. If all else fails, reverse sync?
4.???Any other suggestions?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkus View Post
Thanks for all the info everyone!

I use the heart ratings for a dynamic playlist, and have put ~7 months so far into slowly listening to every song and giving a heart to the ones I want. The HD is my first Zune

Also, I have a playlist of 200 songs with 0 plays which gets updated every time I sync, which is how I have been going through and adding the hearts, and that is why I don't want to lose my local playcount either.

Unfortunately the file structure pointing to the music will be much different on the new machine as it is now.

Once I get the rig all put together I guess I will try:
1. Copy everything over as-is and hope for the best.
2. If that doesn't work: temporarily set up the file structure on the old computer's zune software to match the new, THEN copy everything over (100% fresh).
3. If all else fails, reverse sync?
4.???Any other suggestions?
reverse sync won't do anything to help.
i think copying zunestore will do what you need.
start out with the same folder structure you have now...then change it to what you prefer on the new machine after you get zunestore up and running.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:36 AM

Why not just keep all files on an external drive? In that case, you would install the Zune software on the new computer and point to the external drive location in the preferences.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blegs38552 View Post
Why not just keep all files on an external drive? In that case, you would install the Zune software on the new computer and point to the external drive location in the preferences.
that won't do anything to save playcounts... you have to move the zunestore file to preserve those regardless of where the content lives.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Wanted to post an update: This worked perfectly.

Setting up the files to be in the same path as before was unnecessary as when I copied over the \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Zune folder (I copied the whole folder to be safe, and so I wouldn't need to re-download apps) the Zune software settings for library locations didn't copy over. So I just put the music where I wanted it and set up the folder monitoring and everything got added.

The rating hearts came along with the App Data folder, play counts did not. The play counts were all zero until I signed into my Zune account, at which point the play counts became accurate. Weird. So they either store play counts for every song with your account, or there is some kind of authentication involved with it where you need to access your account to unlock them(doubtful).

The only other issue I had was that the first time I copied my files over it replaced the created on date with the current date, so all my "added to library" dates got messed up. After I realized this I re-copied everything using Teracopy instead which maintained the correct created date and fixed my added dates.

So everything is now exactly how it was before, except on a much beefier more modern machine!
Thanks for all the help!