android
Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Rockbox subforum for Fuze

AronA:

Believe it or not this is not the Rockbox forum, it is the Fuze forum. Please indicate on your header that you are asking a Rockbox question. Then those who don't give a damn about Rockbox can more easily ignore it, and those that love Rockbox can focus in on your question.

Moderators: have you considered Rockbox sub-forums for the Fuze and Clip+? I know most of you are Rockbox-mad, but not everyone shares your love.

Thanks, Steve

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
...SNIPPED...
Moderators: have you considered Rockbox sub-forums for the Fuze and Clip+? ...

This is a capital idea!

Would certainly here make the Rockbox folks' lives easier answering questions as well I should think.

Rockbox-related queries here seem to be quite high on a daily basis. Dedicated manufacturer Rockbox sub-forums would make things much more organized and as Steve notes, would spare the non-Rockboxers from having to wade through posts that are irrelevant to them.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Done. Seems it was about time, at least for the Fuze forums. I don't have a Fuze myself, so I don't really check this forum often, but it sure needed a dedicated Rockbox subforum more than the Clip forum and its relatively few Rockbox-related threads.

I'm in the process of moving Rockbox threads over to this new subforum. If I miss a few, feel free to PM me about it.

BTW, didn't know you're a Rockbox-hater, FreeZ5.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
BTW, didn't know you're a Rockbox-hater, FreeZ5.
dfkt:

I'm not a Rockbox HATER. However, I have not found any reason to install Rockbox on any of my four Sansa products. One reason is that they would all require a different download...Clip V1, Clip V2, Fuze (V2 I think), Clip+.

I've been looking at the Rockbox threads and gotten confused because I haven't been reading one implementation but four.

Regardless, I think separating the Rockbox threads should make it easier for newcomers to ask their Qs, and learn about the players.

Thanks for making the change.

Steve

Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think this was a good idea, Steve. I'd like to see it done on the SanDisk forums too.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I'd like to see it done on the SanDisk forums too.
do you get a lot of rockbox related threads there? i'm amazed sandisk put up with any rockbox related discussions on their forums.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
One reason is that they would all require a different download...Clip V1, Clip V2, Fuze (V2 I think), Clip+.

I've been looking at the Rockbox threads and gotten confused because I haven't been reading one implementation but four.
Ever tried updating the Sandisk firmware on your player? You can't use the Clip firmware files on the Fuze for the same reason you need a different rockbox version for each. The hardware is similar but its not wired the same, so various things in each build need to be changed (e.g. which pin connects to which button on each player).

If you look at the Sandisk firmware or Rockbox you'll see its not 4 (or for Sandisk more then a dozen) implementations, but a smaller number that gets customized for each CPU family and device.

If this is confusing, you should probably just use the installer and let it worry about what to put where.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:50 PM

sorry didn't notice that there was a rockbox fuze forum
won't happen again

Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

AronA: No need to apologize - a Fuze Rockbox forum on ABi didn't exist until today. :-D

@Marvin: Could a similar thing even happen on the Sandisk forums? That would clearly be, at the very least, a tacit endorsement of Rockbox itself.

Oh, the horror! lol
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2003 View Post
do you get a lot of rockbox related threads there? i'm amazed sandisk put up with any rockbox related discussions on their forums.
There's a lot of RB discussion there. I don't mind people discussing it,here or there, but I would like to see it in a sub-forum, because there are people that don't have any interest in it, as FreeZ5 mentioned.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post

@Marvin: Could a similar thing even happen on the Sandisk forums? That would clearly be, at the very least, a tacit endorsement of Rockbox itself.

Oh, the horror! lol
Well, it would be a dose of reality, because RB is clearly not going to disappear.