android
Old 06-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Fuzev2, RB, microSDHC and Album Art...

Apologies in advance for what will undoubtedly be the first in a series of noob like questions for this pretty happy, new RB/v2Fuze owner. However, I have researched the RB site with no solution/definitive answer.

Simple question: Will album art display for songs on microSDHC? All my album art are embedded in mp3 tags.

I have:
- v2Fuze 8GB
- RB build 26906-100618
- 16GB microSDHC, class 2
- successfully used Album Art Extractor plugin for all artwork to properly display for main memory songs
- used Album Art Extractor to successfully create the jpgs, but none display properly for songs on microSDHC
- managed to create a .rockbox/albumart folder on the root of my microSDHC card as documentation suggested

but still no album art shows for microSDHC songs.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a known limitation?

tia and thanks again for the brilliant work on RB.
cheers,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Rockbox definitely shows album art from the external card. I've always just put the AA .jpeg renamed folder.jpg in the same folder as the album and it shows wherever the album is. The few kb across thousands of files do add up. I've just considered that part of the Rockbox overhead. Well worth it for everything I gain.

MediaMonkey will save both the folder.jpg and embed the AA automatically during tagging if you tell it to. Not sure about Mp3tag.

Hope you're enjoying your Rockboxed player. There's a bit of a learning curve but once you work through that it's the best way to enjoy your portable music IMO.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey skip252, long time no speak!

Thanks a ton for the confirmation...I will adjust my setup accordingly. My path is weird though...

On my card, I have under MUSIC a folder called TUNES with no further sub-folders. My AA is in same name as the artist/album name.

Hopefully I can copy all the jpgs into the TUNES folder and then have AA display properly.

Will give it a shot and report back...THANKS AGAIN!

and yes, for sure RB is a bit daunting, but i am willing to put in the time/legwork to get a handle on it...

cheers,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Administrator

Get a nasty feeling that's not going to work. I have my files per album and a file folder.jpg in each. I'd love to be wrong about that. I hope it does but you probably will need to find the spot either in the manual or the Twiki that will help you with this one.

Of course there's always the possibility that a user or developer will come along with a simple solution. It may be something as simple as a minor path problem to your .rockbox/albumart folder. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm, ok, thanks for the heads up then....Will wait, hopefully Saratoga or Funman will chime in...

I can be patient on this...not a deal breaker for me! ;-)

thanks again...
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Rockbox Developer

There is some info in the manual but it was a bit hidden..

Here are the details

Old 06-19-2010, 03:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks alot funman...unfortunately, the following does not appear to work - it appears skip252 was correct on his guess on this.

From the manual section you linked:
"You can place the picture in the same directory as the file,..."

My microSDHC path for all my mp3, no artists sub-folders:
Music/Tunes
e.g. Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet - 01 - Up In The Sky.mp3
has Album Art named
Joe Satriani-Crystal Planet.jpg

- AA is in 100x100 size as Album Art Extractor and Cabbie Enhanced supports;
- AA jpg filename convention on microSDHC is identical to that used for main mem AA [only diff is that on main mem, all album art resides in .rockbox/AlbumArt folder and this works perfectly];

I was able to create a .rockbox/AlbumArt folder on the root of my microSDHC initially, trying to mimic the structure of main mem for AA, but AA failed to load for microSDHC songs. Thus this post... :-)

Any other ideas or am I really doing something way wrong? :-)

thanks so much for getting back,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Rockbox Developer

'albumtitle.{jpeg,jpg,bmp}' in the same directory should do it

=> 'Crystal Planet.jpg'

The .rockbox directory is only looked in / = root = internal storage

Old 06-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by funman View Post

=> 'Crystal Planet.jpg'

Didn't notice the "../" in line 6 when I looked at the manual last night. Tried 'albumtitle.{jpeg,jpg,bmp}' and it's working very well for me. Think I'll take some time now and then and do a rename of my folder.jpgs to albumtitle.jpgs in case I every decide to change my organization system. MediaMonkey will do it on a album by album basis but theres should be a way to automate it. I really hope so or I've got several hundred albums to redo 1 by 1.

@ funman, Thank you and ALL of the Rockbox team for sharing your hobby. It has truly enriched my musical life. Learning how to customize all of the important elements to my liking has been challenging at times but has also been lots of fun. I hope you folks have as much fun creating this magic as I do using it.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I hope you folks have as much fun creating this magic as I do using it.
Considering how much we are paid, I think having fun is a requirement

Old 06-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Considering how much we are paid, I think having fun is a requirement
Please feel free to draw enough from project funds to double, no TRIPLE, your current pay.
No, no... don't thank me, happy to help out.

Seriously (almost), I'm a carpenter and I participate in community building projects. I know a little bit of the satisfaction of doing a job right because I WANT to. To someone looking at it from the outside I'm working my butt off but I'm having so much fun when I do one of the projects it make me feel like a kid again. Coming back a few years later and seeing the kids whooping, hollering and enjoying something I put together is tremendously satisfying.

Excuse me while I go have fun with my Rockboxed Fuze playground.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

=> 'Crystal Planet.jpg'

Thank you funman - will implement and test ASAP.

And of course, I completely echo skip252's comments - you and everyone else on the RB project deserve medals. Huge ones...

Will advise on results...
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Thanks so much funman - I have confirmed that simply using albumtitle.jpg does work fine. AA is now displaying properly from microSDHC cards.

I just renamed 100+ files, so skip252, go right ahead with confidence if you wish... :-)

Funman, obvious question though: how should I handle situations where I might have the same albumtitle? Aside from putting one on microSDHC and the other on main memory.

Albumtitle is not necessarily unique, especially with some live recordings [Live In Budokan, e.g.]. This is one major reason why my entire collection has embedded album art - I find embedding simply neater and easier with no need to worry about folder.jpg, etc...

Are there any plans for rb [on the Fuze v2 specifically] to be able to read/use embedded album art [as the OF does]?

Again, thanks so much!
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

This is because you didn't sort your music into folder for each album right? Wouldn't it be easier to just do that and use a folder.jpg file?

FWIW we've talked about embedded album art for a long time. Its just tricky to do so no one has gotten around to it.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

saratoga: LOL....of course, you are correct!

However, i am the lazy type - My entire 14k collection of mp3 resides in 3 folders. I understand the organizational benefits of a distinct folder structure but for me, this is just too much hassle and not how I like to organize/do things.

And while folder.jpg would be great in this instance, I still do not feel it is as elegant and easy a solution as embedded album art. How much simpler can it get than embedding art into metatags? :-)

And no worries about embedded art support! This is not a problem for me, though of course I would love to see/have it one day.

Have I thanked you today? :-D

-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
WE HAVE A WINNER!

Thanks so much funman - I have confirmed that simply using albumtitle.jpg does work fine. AA is now displaying properly from microSDHC cards.

I just renamed 100+ files, so skip252, go right ahead with confidence if you wish... :-)

Funman, obvious question though: how should I handle situations where I might have the same albumtitle? Aside from putting one on microSDHC and the other on main memory.

Albumtitle is not necessarily unique, especially with some live recordings [Live In Budokan, e.g.]. This is one major reason why my entire collection has embedded album art - I find embedding simply neater and easier with no need to worry about folder.jpg, etc...

Are there any plans for rb [on the Fuze v2 specifically] to be able to read/use embedded album art [as the OF does]?

Again, thanks so much!
-lestatar
If you're taking the time to do all this stuff, you might as well have Mediamonkey scan your library for ReplayGain data, as well.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
If you're taking the time to do all this stuff, you might as well have Mediamonkey scan your library for ReplayGain data, as well.
Real men use volume controls.... LOL
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Real men use volume controls.... LOL
Hard to do if the player is in your pocket, with the hold engaged, isn't it?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

thats why i have an e3(and pl30 combo) on order from mp4nation, can have the amp clipped where i can get at it and fuze in my pocket and the e5 has vol control

Old 06-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepCake View Post
thats why i have an e3(and pl30 combo) on order from mp4nation, can have the amp clipped where i can get at it and fuze in my pocket and the e5 has vol control
So which one are you getting... the E3 or the E5?