android
Old 06-22-2010, 01:33 PM

Default Ghost in the Rockbox'ed Sansa Fuze v2

My manual install of Rockbox on my Fuze V2 seems to have gone normally however I'm left with some issues and questions.

1. Main problem: I'm finding that it will "skip" portions of the music during playback while using Rockbox. I've only had the player for less than a day, so I haven't had a chance to isolate when it occurs, but it seems to happen randomly, like a ghost doesn't like the portion of the track its playing and fast forwards a few minutes into the song, or into the middle of the next track in the playlist.

2. Is it normal for booting into the OF to require holding the left button continuously during boot? On the e270 I owned, it only required holding the button until the bootloader recognized it - on this Fuze, I really need to hold the left button BEFORE I turn it on, and keep it pressed until I see the Sansa startup screeen. This caused me concern at first that the OF wasn't booting (and I actually tried to update the Sansa firmware to the latest version in order to try "re-install" it). It wasn't until I accidentally pressed it too early that I realized the OF still worked.

3. IIRC, Rockbox now allows various formats for album art. None of my album art is showing up in the OF because it was all converted previously to work on my old RB'ed Sansa e270. Is there a common format that album art can share between both firmwares now, and is there an easy way (using Mac OSX) to get my existing RB album art to be seen by Fuze's OF?

4. Charging is probably my 2nd biggest problem after the ghost skipping:
It seems that the supplied charger is the same as the one I have from my old e270 -that's excellent, as I now have a spare. The bad part is that ONLY my computer USB port seems to charge the Fuze. I was able to use just about ANY USB port to charge the e270 - the one on the front of my cable box was PERFECT! Has anyone found a USB port that charges the Fuze besides paying for a dock or hooking it to a computer (which in my case, isn't convenient on a daily basis)?

5. I ended up using the OF to "delete" the tracks that came with the player. Is there a way to do this when connected to my Mac? I had the same problem with my old e270. I believe the OF is seen as a different mount point, filing system or SOMETHING, which prevents me from simply trashing tracks that are "within" (for lack of a better description) the Sansa's OF.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey KCrimson....you and me both on V2 Fuze/RB...

First, what version rb you have?

1: I have not observed this on any of my music. However, like you, my v2Fuze RB is only a few days old. I have noticed 2 crashes, but nothing a reboot didn't fix.

Have you/do you check your mp3 files for encoding errors [if using mp3]? I religiously use 3 separate [and free] Win apps to check all my mp3 for validity [mp3utility, mp3Validator, Audio Tester]. I almost never encounter problems with corrupt music files as a result....

2: I believe this is the normal procedure, but I have not yet committed the rb Fuze manual to memory... ;-)

3: I think usual BMP and JPG are only Album Art supported. TBH, why use anything else? Even BMP is a waste imo, especially on small Fuze screen. But I got all my AA working now - had to use Album Art Extractor RB addon app [which works flawlessly] as all my artwork are embedded jpgs. With correct pixel for my themes [usually Cabbie Enhanced], 100x100 is maximum and all is perfect.

4: On my main Win XP PC where several of my DAPs live/charge, I use same port in back of PC for now RB Fuze as for when it was OF. No difference/problems for me. Are you using a front panel USB port? Some old PCs may not provide enough juice to front panel USB ports - try a back panel USB.

As an option, consider a dedicated Fuze wallcharger like one in this accessory pack:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-AC-Charger-C...95731647132062

I bought this and everything is quite nice. The clear shell case is also very well fitted to the Fuze with surprisingly tight tolerances.

Also, consider something like this - best 20USD I have spent in years:
http://tekkeon.com/products-tekcharge1550.html

I really feel anyone with multiple electronic devices who is on the go a lot will benefit enormously from something like this...

5: Dunno yet...haven't figured out if there is a way to perform on-device delete of songs on Fuze V2 with RB - haven't had a need to do this yet. If you find out, please let me/us know...

About all I can offer you at this point KCrimson...

cheers and good luck,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-22-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
... 5: Dunno yet...haven't figured out if there is a way to perform on-device delete of songs on Fuze V2 with RB - haven't had a need to do this yet. If you find out, please let me/us know...
Look under browsing and playing, 4.1.2 Context Menu & Figure 4.2.: The Context Menu here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sweet! Thanks WalkGood - as you may know, on device delete is one of my biggest things... :-)
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrimson View Post
1. Main problem: I'm finding that it will "skip" portions of the music during playback while using Rockbox.
This bug should be fixed in current build r27044 or newer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrimson View Post
2. Is it normal for booting into the OF to require holding the left button continuously during boot? On the e270 I owned, it only required holding the button until the bootloader recognized it - on this Fuze, I really need to hold the left button BEFORE I turn it on, and keep it pressed until I see the Sansa startup screeen.
Actually you only have to press the button during the few microseconds the pre-bootloader is run, but the fuzev2 is so fast that keeping it pressed before turning it on and wait a bit is the best method to not miss this small time interval

Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. The skipping seems to have stopped with the newer build mentioned. Now I've got a new (and possibly more serious) problem.

The battery, when connected via USB to the computer and other sources seems to be charging SOMETIMES, deciding not to charge other times, and other times reporting a DIScharge after hours of connection (in both OF and RB). Last night it charged for 2 hrs to about 97% (which RB predicts to last less than 10 hrs), I plugged it back in to finish the charge - woke up and now its about 50% charged as reported in both firmwares.
I also noticed that sometimes when I plug it in to charge, the green indicator inside the battery icon will animate quickly for a minute (or minutes) and then stop moving, only to report later no activity (no additional charge), minimal charging, or even discharge.
Any suggestions? I purposefully ran it until it drained last night before the 97% charge (actually, I charged it for about an hour, it only reached about 25% charge, and then plugged it back in and after another 2 hrs THEN reached 97%). I'm thinking of trying to re-install the Sansa or RB (or both) - perhaps I screwed something up when I did the Sansa update after the RB install the first night.

Last edited by KCrimson; 06-23-2010 at 08:38 AM.