android
Old 12-19-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Dead battery

I bought an X5 15 months ago in Australia. Beautiful machine, 15 hour battery life.

Now 1 year later, battery's diminished to 2 hours. Apparently this is quite common for the X5.

Cowon in Korea doesn't like to receive units out of warranty. Does anyone know where can I get a new battery (or repackaged battery) in Singapore? I want to avoid a $500 paperweight?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

What do you mean "doesn't like to receive units out of warranty"? - Don't they like to make some money? Of course it would cost you to replace the battery out of warranty, but that is no reason for Cowon to refuse to fix your X5... weird.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:20 AM

Their reply (not to me, but as posted on another forum, paraphrased) was "if you send it to us in Korea, and we replace battery, and send it back, this costs as much as a new X5". That was their rhetoric, they didn't give that poster an option.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow, that is lame... Cowon Europe/Germany exchanges the battery for less than Apple charges for an iPod battery.

Sorry, can't help you there... maybe check eBay for a replacement battery? - Or contact Cowon yourself - you never know if the other poster exaggerated...

Old 12-19-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaixiu View Post
Their reply (not to me, but as posted on another forum, paraphrased) was "if you send it to us in Korea, and we replace battery, and send it back, this costs as much as a new X5". That was their rhetoric, they didn't give that poster an option.
That sucks. Weird that it would cost so much. Perhaps try to contact someone in Cowon Europe to send u a battery for cheap(er). You think it would be hard to install it yourself?

Old 02-12-2007, 03:59 AM

Angry

I contacted someone in Cowon Europe, who seemed a bit pissed off, but referred me to Boon and Co in Singapore.

Boon and Co said they would need to send it to Korea, and it would cost me 70 SGD. Seemed like a reasonable price.

Now I've got it back and it still won't play for more than three hours. And they deleted all my music off the disk...

Old 02-12-2007, 03:48 PM

I had read somewhere a how-to for a user replacement of X5 battery. It was a cell phone battery that was used for the job (must be same specs) and it easily fits the compartment. Done with care, replacement should not be difficult.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Wow, does it require soldering or something?
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=114916
MSC Playlist editor
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=2381

Old 03-04-2007, 01:50 PM

Same here, i've had it for about 16 months now and my player has 2 hrs playback time. I have it to turn off the backlight/LCD, and i'm using latest retail firmware (never had rockbox on it)... My batteries dying... I've been playing only audio. (I thought that it was because i filled almost all the HD space on my 30gb but i cleared a lot and it still happens)... For the past week i've been fully charging it and timing how long the battery life is... and it's pretty consistent with 2 hrs. Anyone know what the specs r for the battery (i'm thikning about replacing it on my own)? The cowon site doesn't tell me anything about the battery.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:48 AM

I've gone through some of the same issues with my iAudio X5 as well. After having used my X5 for almost 2 years now, it is not holding a charge as well as when it was new. I love my X5 very dearly, so I decided the best course of action was to replace the battery so my X5 could make it through the day.

Here is the link to the best place I found for this. It is important to note that there are different batteries for the 20gig as opposed to the 30gig.

20gb: http://www.ipods99.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=iAudX520GSL

30gb: http://www.ipods99.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=iAudX530GSL

They have very reasonable prices and appear to ship the battery quickly. However, my only complaint is they do not provide any instructions or guidance on how to change the battery, except that it requires some expertise in soldering.

I don't have a soldering iron, so I'll probably take my X5 to my local electronics store and have them put the battery in for me.

Although this is a challenge, I am looking forward to reviving my X5. I just placed my order and I should receive my battery in about a week. I'll let you know more details soon.

Thanx,
Stan

Old 07-20-2007, 03:34 PM

Sorry to hear about your problem, hanmaixiu.

Based on what I've read, 15 months seems to be the magic number for X5 batteries. Mine also showed a big decrease right around 15 months. At the same time, the joystick stopped working the "down" position so I returned it for service in California. I must admit I was very pleased. They charged $45 US to replace the battery and fix the joystick and I had the unit back within one week. It's a shame you can't return it to a different Cowan repair facility.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:06 PM

My Bros x5 just died on him, & despite spending his last year showing off his awsome bass as compared with my ZVM me, he doesn't think he wants another cowon-so sad

Old 08-12-2007, 06:19 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binks View Post
My Bros x5 just died on him, & despite spending his last year showing off his awsome bass as compared with my ZVM me, he doesn't think he wants another cowon-so sad
have him send it to me...lol

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-07-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Replacement battery..

google for "PPCW0401"

Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

PhantomPower, do you know the battery type for the 2250mAh X5L battery as well?

Old 11-09-2007, 06:37 AM

Default Replacing battery :)

I have replaced my original battery in X5 with an ipod battery.

The ipod battery fits wit only one adjustment (two exactly). You have to remove an thumb latch that keep the original battery in place, beacuse the new battery is slightly bigger. If you dont remove the obstacle, you would make som presure to the harddrive when assembling the X5.
The ipod battery came with a plug. The X5 battery is solderd to the print board. Cut the plug an solder red to red and black to black.

dr_scrlk

Old 11-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_scrlk View Post
I have replaced my original battery in X5 with an ipod battery.

The ipod battery fits wit only one adjustment (two exactly). You have to remove an thumb latch that keep the original battery in place, beacuse the new battery is slightly bigger. If you dont remove the obstacle, you would make som presure to the harddrive when assembling the X5.
The ipod battery came with a plug. The X5 battery is solderd to the print board. Cut the plug an solder red to red and black to black.

dr_scrlk
Thanks for sharing with us, dr_scrlk.

Would you mind posting some pics of the replacemernt procedure? If the battery works fine, it would help people out there in the same fix. Can you also post battery model and specs?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:23 PM

dfkt, sorry but it's a no about the battery type for the X5L..

Old 11-09-2007, 03:27 PM

I thought the X5L comprised of two batteries? Not had my hands on one to disect..

Old 11-09-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Replacing battery 2

Hi Almoxil. This is what I purchased: 616-0206 IPod Photo, 4th gen. Li-ion 3.7V 1000mAh http://search.ebay.com/MP3-Player-Ba...20PhotosQ20NIB To open the X5 is very simple. Just unscrew the 4 screws. To look inside before opening, go to http://iaudiophile.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=11 If you click on http://iaudiophile.net/gallery/displ...album=11&pos=8 you see a grey plastic L-shape. This is the piece that needs to be fixed. Just cut the plastic I in the L so it levels with the _ in the L. The new battery will now fit in the whole area. As you see in http://iaudiophile.net/gallery/displ...album=11&pos=8 the battery is soldered to the print board. You can either desolder an solder to the print board, or cut the wire and splice in the new battery. BUT REMEMBER TO ONLY CUT ONE WIRE AT THE TIME, due to shortcut the battery. dr_scrlk