android
Old 07-01-2010, 04:54 PM

Default Micro SD card worth it?

I recently added some music to my player but unfortunately i have reached that dreaded point where i have to look for stuff to delete because its full up.

Luckily there was a bunch of long podcasts i didnt need anymore which freed up about 200mb but this is obviously going to become a problem for me again soon.

So i was wondering if it would be worth getting an Mirco SD card and put that slot to use? Im not sure how well they work with the player which is my main concern.

I would appreciate it if any more experienced users could give me some advice with it!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-01-2010, 05:13 PM

Isn't that what the slot is for, expansion of on board memory. I don't have your player but do have one with a slot that I've used from day one and even switch cards no problem. So unless you want to buy a larger player I'd say try it out, cards are cheap now a days.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-01-2010, 06:08 PM

I have a 16Gb X-fi2 player and it is full of music. I bought a 16Gb microSD card and I loaded it with videos and audio books. The memory doesn't integrate but works well to store files separately. I can even output videos from the memory card to a TV without problems or lag.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:45 AM

Will any brand work? Or does it not really matter which you go with?

Old 07-02-2010, 04:50 AM

i just got the 32gb player and i'm going to buy a 16gb microSD that i'll only put movies on.

I tested it out with a 1gb microSD and it seemed to work fine.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:48 AM

I use a 16Gb Sandisk microSD card

Old 07-02-2010, 12:27 PM

I just bought a 16gb Kingston microSD card and the player just keeps saying "building library".

How long does it take to build a library? it's taking ages and I may have to reset the player.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:24 PM

It will take a while if you put a lot of files or movies on it that the player has to read.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:27 AM

Further to my earlier post (btw it was taking way to long to build a library)

I have emailed creative and they have given me a (great) solution.

Quote:
1. Connect your player to your computer using USB cable. Your memory card appears as a Removable Disk under My Computer in Windows Explorer.

2. Right-click Removable Disk and select Format.
(Note: Formatting will erase all files in your SD card. Please ensure that all data files are backed up before starting the format)

3. Ensure that File System is set to FAT32 and then click Start.

4. Once the formatting is successful, close the window and begin transferring the media files again for proper playback.
It seems formatting it and inserting the files once the disk is part of the zen works best.

It took literally 5 seconds to "build the library" (12gb of video files!)

Old 07-07-2010, 03:57 PM

I may be mistaken, but I believe the length of time it takes to "build the library" is based on the number of files not the total size of the file group. For this reason you should use the microSD card for movies (which are large files but you would have less of them) and keep your music on the player.

Cheers,
Your friendly neighborhood
Dark Lord

Old 07-08-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordXenos View Post
I may be mistaken, but I believe the length of time it takes to "build the library" is based on the number of files not the total size of the file group. For this reason you should use the microSD card for movies (which are large files but you would have less of them) and keep your music on the player.
I would have thought similar but by placing the files (about 13 video files) on the microsd card before putting it into my zen just kept building the library (hr+) until i reset.

Using the instructions by creative and it took 5 seconds.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:21 PM

I'm looking to buy a Sandisk Micro SDHC card for my X-fi2, will this one be ok?

SanDisk microSDHC 8GB Card

Technical Details

Item model number: SDSDQ-008G-E11M

Creative's website says the card below is compatible

SanDisk microSDHC - 8GB Card

Technical Details

Item model number: SDSDQR-8192-A11m

Does this mean the card which I want isn't compaible??

Old 07-08-2010, 12:54 PM

That card is perfectly compatible. I have the exact same card only 16gb. Just be on the lookout for fakes when buying online. I saw on Amazon that two people tried to be Sandisk's new 32gb microSDHC card from a third party seller and end up with junk 2gb cards.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:31 AM

Is there a way to speed up building of the memory stick library?

Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 PM

i've tried formatting as instructed by creative but altho my pc can see the memory card and lets me add files to it as soon as i try and open it on the player it still says the media is not supported. i've tried using different files to test whether the problem is with the media but that makes no difference. my friend put the card in his phone and it worked fine...this is a genuine card as well definitely not a fake. my sister has the same player and card and the same problem...

Old 01-17-2012, 06:53 PM

I have a Sandisk 16GB MicroSD, Type II, and it works really great. I have it almost full of only MP3's, and it does take approximately 2 minutes to build library, but after that, it is kick ass rock out time!

I have a question, since we are on the subject of these cards. I know the manufacturer's site claims it will run up to 16GB of external storage(MicroSD), but has anyone ever tried a 32GB card to see if it works or not? I am curious. I have the 64GB X-FI II, with the 16GB card, bringing me approximately 80GB's of storage(except the 4GB reserved for video only on the player's internal storage), but have tons more music I would like to have from my collection. I know i could get more cards, but don't feel like carrying extra cards around, and risk losing them.

Anyone try this?

Old 01-26-2012, 06:07 AM

Hi guys,
i bought xifi2 with only 2GB inter space, because i thought i would buy a micro sd. I have done that but......dont tell me, you really cant make in micro sd any playlist, so you become a clicking monkey then and if you try to import all files, it means real tranfer, not just it is going to create the way from sd to originall?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:38 PM

@nefertitithequeen:

Not entirely sure what you are saying, but the integration of the MicroSD card on the Zen is not so good. The cards' contents do not show up in the player's library but only in it's own part in the menu, where you can access and copy the contents as you have already discovered.

The way I see the whole 'SDcard in Zen players' issue, is that it's never meant to be a way to permanently expand the internal memory. What it's good for, is to transfer media files from the card to the player, and in addition you can also view/play the media from the card. For example when you have a digital camera that uses a MicroSD card it's really handy that you can copy everything to your Zen when the camera's card is full, without the need of a computer.

I'm sorry to break it to you but if you want to use memory cards to enjoy a larger capacity player, the Zen is not the best choice..

Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_val View Post
@nefertitithequeen:

Not entirely sure what you are saying, but the integration of the MicroSD card on the Zen is not so good. The cards' contents do not show up in the player's library but only in it's own part in the menu, where you can access and copy the contents as you have already discovered.

The way I see the whole 'SDcard in Zen players' issue, is that it's never meant to be a way to permanently expand the internal memory. What it's good for, is to transfer media files from the card to the player, and in addition you can also view/play the media from the card. For example when you have a digital camera that uses a MicroSD card it's really handy that you can copy everything to your Zen when the camera's card is full, without the need of a computer.

I'm sorry to break it to you but if you want to use memory cards to enjoy a larger capacity player, the Zen is not the best choice..
Awesome! :-D Because that is what I really wanted it for. That was one of the reason I wanted this player. Because it wasn't pushing you to buy high capacity internal memory and you can actually extend it with micro SD. Nice fraud, really. And of course Creative better not mention this anywhere (or I have never found that anywhere), let the stupid buyers find that out themselves, hahaha............grrr, vrrr. Even in manual I couldn't find any note about this......now I'm pissed :-/

Old 07-04-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_val View Post
@nefertitithequeen:

Please, exactly how would you copy pictures from a digital camera to the MicroSD card in the Zen Xi-fi2 without using a computer?