android
  #1  
Old 07-03-2010, 07:51 PM
coachop94's Avatar
coachop94 coachop94 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: california
Posts: 1,049
Help Advantages of Rockbox on Clip+

What are the advantages of rockbox on the Clip. I just purchased one & would like to know what they are.Is it easy to install? Is there an autoloader for it ect.??
__________________
Sit Down, Shut Up, Don't *!@#*^#!! With Me. I'm Drivin'
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 07-03-2010, 08:41 PM
lestatar's Avatar
lestatar lestatar is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hong Kong now, but NYC always
Posts: 4,657
Default

Hey Coachop: Congrats!

I believe most of the features of Rockbox are similar from device to device. So, for the Clip+ you will get a zillion features, but a few of the major ones are:

- Gapless playback
- Terrific EQ and a huge array of sound enhancement features
- Crossfade capability
- Crossfeed
- On-the-go playlist creation/editing, most important of which is the ability to create playlists that can mix songs from both main memory and microSDHC card

Actually, the complete feature list and why one should try Rockbox is probably best understood by looking here:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/GeneralFAQ

Of course, let me not forget Rockbox's most important feature on the Clip/+, as shown in this video from dfkt:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...postcount=3504

On a more serious note, I have found Rockbox to be really quite amazing - nearly overwhelming in terms of what it can do on my Fuze. However, I am delighted with the results and since I Rockboxed my Fuze a couple of weeks ago, I have not used the original firmware even one time.

But TBH, Rockbox does require a certain amount of time and effort on your part, mostly to wrap your brains around how much this amazing, free product can do for you. As skip252 and others have reminded me, Rockbox might not be for everyone - but if you are curious and want to give it a shot and are willing to spend a little time getting up to speed, I think you to will be amazed by what RB can offer.

As for ease of installation on your Clip+ I have no personal experience - others will of course chime in I hope. But from all I have read here, most people have no problems at all.

Finally, adding RB to your device is not an either or situation - this is to me perhaps the most compelling reason to give RB a shot. Aside from the [smallish] possibility of bricking your player, this ability to rollback and boot your device's original FW is perhaps the best/risk-free reason to check out Rockbox.

Good luck and hope this helps!
-lestatar

PS: Where are those pics you threatened us with??
__________________
DAPs:2xRBFuze8+16GB|SonyE345|ZenV+,Micro,Xtra40GBx2|RBG igabeatFX|RCAOpal
IEMs:PanaHJE900|Nuforce 700x|HippoVB|iMetal590,i490|SM PL-21|CX300|EP630,Aurvana
Guitars:IbanezS540,JS1200|Ovation
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 07-03-2010, 09:04 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Why Rockbox.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 07-04-2010, 05:02 AM
coachop94's Avatar
coachop94 coachop94 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: california
Posts: 1,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Hey Coachop: Congrats!

I believe most of the features of Rockbox are similar from device to device. So, for the Clip+ you will get a zillion features, but a few of the major ones are:

- Gapless playback
- Terrific EQ and a huge array of sound enhancement features
- Crossfade capability
- Crossfeed
- On-the-go playlist creation/editing, most important of which is the ability to create playlists that can mix songs from both main memory and microSDHC card

Actually, the complete feature list and why one should try Rockbox is probably best understood by looking here:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/GeneralFAQ

Of course, let me not forget Rockbox's most important feature on the Clip/+, as shown in this video from dfkt:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...postcount=3504

On a more serious note, I have found Rockbox to be really quite amazing - nearly overwhelming in terms of what it can do on my Fuze. However, I am delighted with the results and since I Rockboxed my Fuze a couple of weeks ago, I have not used the original firmware even one time.

But TBH, Rockbox does require a certain amount of time and effort on your part, mostly to wrap your brains around how much this amazing, free product can do for you. As skip252 and others have reminded me, Rockbox might not be for everyone - but if you are curious and want to give it a shot and are willing to spend a little time getting up to speed, I think you to will be amazed by what RB can offer.

As for ease of installation on your Clip+ I have no personal experience - others will of course chime in I hope. But from all I have read here, most people have no problems at all.

Finally, adding RB to your device is not an either or situation - this is to me perhaps the most compelling reason to give RB a shot. Aside from the [smallish] possibility of bricking your player, this ability to rollback and boot your device's original FW is perhaps the best/risk-free reason to check out Rockbox.

Good luck and hope this helps!
-lestatar

PS: Where are those pics you threatened us with??
Now that sounds promising. The gapless playback & crossfading are features I would love. BTW still looking for my camera. That kid of mine has really hidden it well.I'm starting to wonder if she remembers where she hid the dang thing.
__________________
Sit Down, Shut Up, Don't *!@#*^#!! With Me. I'm Drivin'
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 07-04-2010, 06:03 AM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Thread moved with redirect to 'Sansa Clip / Clip+ Rockbox'.
__________________
Please don't PM me with questions that can be answered in a forum thread. Don't be an idiot.
My Gear and Reviews | My RMAA Tests | IRC: #anythingbutipod on Freenode | Last.fm | Album Art Exchange | Rockbox | Replaygain
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 07-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Cpt_BlackBeard Cpt_BlackBeard is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Limerick, Ireland
Posts: 10
Default

I was actually considering starting a thread about this myself but never got around to it. The biggest issue for me is the Clip's battery life and i was wondering if rockbox significantly improves this over the OF as some have said in the Clip+ Rockbox thread??
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 07-04-2010, 10:18 AM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

I got 15h40m from my Clip+ with my latest builds, Adub got over 17h with his Clip+. So yeah, Rockbox seems to give significantly better battery life than the stock firmware already.

You can easily do a battery benchmark yourself, the test plugin is included with Rockbox.
__________________
Please don't PM me with questions that can be answered in a forum thread. Don't be an idiot.
My Gear and Reviews | My RMAA Tests | IRC: #anythingbutipod on Freenode | Last.fm | Album Art Exchange | Rockbox | Replaygain
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 07-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,571
Default

With the stock firmware, the Fuze , Clip, and Clip+ custom EQ is a noticable extra drain on the battery.....is this not the case with Rockbox? I know with the stock firmware even without EQ enabled, I have not approached the life of the builds mentioned here.
__________________
Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB<-All RB'd Clip Sport 8GB, Cowon D2+20GB
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB,Touch 2G 8GB,2012 Nexus 7 32GB(4.4.2),Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB(4.2.2)
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 07-04-2010, 10:50 AM
lestatar's Avatar
lestatar lestatar is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hong Kong now, but NYC always
Posts: 4,657
Default

On my RB'd Fuze V2, I am getting 17-19 hours consistently. Though this is without EQ at the moment, but with Crossfade and Crossfeed enabled and some Bass and Treble tweaks. And because RB is still new to me, I am messing around in the menus quite a bit so this battery life is IMO pretty good. :-)
__________________
DAPs:2xRBFuze8+16GB|SonyE345|ZenV+,Micro,Xtra40GBx2|RBG igabeatFX|RCAOpal
IEMs:PanaHJE900|Nuforce 700x|HippoVB|iMetal590,i490|SM PL-21|CX300|EP630,Aurvana
Guitars:IbanezS540,JS1200|Ovation
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 07-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
On my RB'd Fuze V2, I am getting 17-19 hours consistently. Though this is without EQ at the moment, but with Crossfade and Crossfeed enabled and some Bass and Treble tweaks. And because RB is still new to me, I am messing around in the menus quite a bit so this battery life is IMO pretty good. :-)
I routinely got 22-24 hours with my V1 Fuze and the stock firmware, though, without EQ enabled. Besides, battery life generally is not an issue with the Fuze.....my question is how RB affects the battery life of the tiny-batteried Clip+.
__________________
Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB<-All RB'd Clip Sport 8GB, Cowon D2+20GB
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB,Touch 2G 8GB,2012 Nexus 7 32GB(4.4.2),Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB(4.2.2)
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:06 AM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Batteries in Clips are obviously hit or miss, the mAh quality seems to differ wildly among those, according to various people's reports. Some people got better batteries in their Clips, some people got duds. It's hard to make a decisive statement about how good one's battery is/will be, but in general Rockbox seems to go easier on the batteries than the original firmware.
__________________
Please don't PM me with questions that can be answered in a forum thread. Don't be an idiot.
My Gear and Reviews | My RMAA Tests | IRC: #anythingbutipod on Freenode | Last.fm | Album Art Exchange | Rockbox | Replaygain
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:07 AM
solomonella solomonella is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pilipinas
Posts: 57
Default

i only get about 10-11hrs on my clip+..i use crossfade,eq,shuffle,dithering,and other sound enhancements..still fine by me since i enjoy music more with my rb'ed clip+

i use my clip+ moderately meaning i tend to look at the tracks,browse the playlist etc from time to time so that should also be taken into consideration
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,368
Default

Do note, Rockbox is not yet listed as a stable port for the Clips.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

IMHO from all you get from rockbox a little + or – on battery life is a mute topic in my book, I'd still be using it with less battery life ...
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:32 AM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Do note, Rockbox is not yet listed as a stable port for the Clips.
Who cares? Use it or don't use it, simple as that.
__________________
Please don't PM me with questions that can be answered in a forum thread. Don't be an idiot.
My Gear and Reviews | My RMAA Tests | IRC: #anythingbutipod on Freenode | Last.fm | Album Art Exchange | Rockbox | Replaygain
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Who cares? Use it or don't use it, simple as that.
Um, yep, and people should know that there still are/could be stability issues, before installing it, so that they know what they're getting into.

The reason why Rockbox specifically notes this factor at the website.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 07-04-2010, 04:07 PM
coachop94's Avatar
coachop94 coachop94 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: california
Posts: 1,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Batteries in Clips are obviously hit or miss, the mAh quality seems to differ wildly among those, according to various people's reports. Some people got better batteries in their Clips, some people got duds. It's hard to make a decisive statement about how good one's battery is/will be, but in general Rockbox seems to go easier on the batteries than the original firmware.
Well I hope the one I won on Ebay has a better battery.I guess to know I'll have to use it for a time before I use Rockbox. I'm really looking forward to doing this. Thanks for all the replies.
__________________
Sit Down, Shut Up, Don't *!@#*^#!! With Me. I'm Drivin'
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 07-05-2010, 01:18 AM
Nuntius's Avatar
Nuntius Nuntius is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 39
Default

My Clip+ plays AAC files thanks to Rockbox!
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 AM
skip252 skip252 is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
With the stock firmware, the Fuze , Clip, and Clip+ custom EQ is a noticable extra drain on the battery.....is this not the case with Rockbox? I know with the stock firmware even without EQ enabled, I have not approached the life of the builds mentioned here.
Marv's question really piqued my interest. I usually get between 11 and 12 hours using the OF "real world" fashion. Songs on both the card and internal memory. I use shuffle, repeat' Replaygain and the EQ. That's pretty much what I read a decent battery would get you in the stock firmware so I don't think I have any reason to be disappointed. I knew I was getting better results in Rockbox but not how much better so I've decided to do a few "real life" battery benches with my Clip+. I started the player in the OF and the timer on my watch when I left the house. After using it all day when I checked the battery it was at 8%. I shut down the player and checked my watch. 11 hrs. 13mins. was what i got and considering how much different the conditions are from the Sandisk test standard I don't think that's too shabby.

For the Rockbox battery bench I used build r27352-100708. I had my usual sound enhancements on. Equalizer, bass and treble , crossfeed, balance and stereo width adjustments all set to my every day mode. No screen adjustments, the defaults work fine for me. Crossfade, shuffle, repeat and Replaygain all active. I used my favorite Unicatcher theme. I used a pair of 18 ohm Klipsch S4 in both tests.

Made a few playlists (stay with me here Marvin, no fainting!) composed of 50 songs each split evenly between the external and internal memories. I figured with the reports of decreased battery life playing from the card in the OF this would be a way to check if it had a significant effect on battery life. The songs were all V2 .mp3s.

Started off with the battery reading 98%. Just turned it on and fired up a playlist (easy there Marv) and started the battery bench plugin. For the rest of the day I just used the player normally. Changed playlists, looked at file properties, made minor volume adjustments to match the surroundings etc. I even made on of my quickie on the fly playlists (dammit! somebody throw some water on the Martian, there he goes again!) The only difference between this and my everyday use was that I never shut the player down or stopped playback.

The battery bench result was 14 hrs 54 mins when I shut the player off with 8% showing on the meter. I wouldn't want to guess what the result would have been if I started at 100% and let the battery drain fully. The charts I've seen show the drain isn't linear so any guessing would probably be wrong. Besides this was a real world test. I wouldn't completely drain the battery normally so I didn't here.

I'm going to try this a few more times with songs all on the card and all on the internal memory. I think it'll be interesting to see if there's a significant change in the run times.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 07-10-2010, 09:41 AM
funman funman is offline
Rockbox Developer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The charts I've seen show the drain isn't linear so any guessing would probably be wrong.
The percentage reported by rockbox should be somewhat linear.

More precisely, the same amount of time should elapse between 100%, 90%, 80%, 70% ... 10%, 0% , see http://svn.rockbox.org/viewvc.cgi/tr...27&view=markup
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.