android
Old 07-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll be curious to see those results, Skip....I always found that the card didn't make any real difference back when I had my Fuze, but with the Clip+, that may or may not be the case.

Soon, I'll be coming into possession of a second Clip+, and when that happens, I am seriously considering giving RB a trial run on the one I have now.
The EQ which everyone says is so much better, the improved battery life, and this theme by dfkt are the main interests of mine, although I may give crossfeed a try. And I think I've heard that ReplayGain works better with RB than with the OF, too.
But I have no interest in games, crossfade, and of course, playlists.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-10-2010, 10:09 AM

Marvin that waiting for a second unit reminds me of lestatar's first excuse, just go for it and don't look back

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Marvin that waiting for a second unit reminds me of lestatar's first excuse, just go for it and don't look back
Somehow I knew you would say that!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Somehow I knew you would say that!
All he needed was a supportive nudge and he finally made the leap, how can getting a second unit before make a difference and even if you were to brick it beyond repair you'd still be getting that second unit so the logic is beyond me.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
All he needed was a supportive nudge and he finally made the leap, how can getting a second unit before make a difference and even if you were to brick it beyond repair you'd still be getting that second unit so the logic is beyond me.
My Sony players do not natively support podcasts, of which I listen to quite a few.....so if I managed to brick my Clip+ before I got the second one(not saying it will happen), it would be a massive pain in the cojones to have to convert them all to be playable on my S545. Hence, I shall wait.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Administrator

But Marv Rockbox considers all songs part of a a p**yl**t. Check this in the manual.

All kidding aside I can understand your reluctance to install Rockbox on your only Sansa. Especially after your adventure changing your Sony to MSC. I've never had a problem with installation but the warnings on the install page are still there.

BTW the EQ is much better. It actually allows you to work effectively with negative values. Following dfkt's posts on using those I have learn a little bit about how to equalize my headphones without introducing added distortion. I've uncovered sounds and subtleties that I had been losing by increasing values I wanted instead of decreasing values I didn't want. It seemed totally wrong when I first start working that way but once I started to get the hang of it WOW! Being able to save presets for each set of 'phones is the real icing on the cake.

Once I get some more real world results I'll post them here. I don't think they would be right for the Rockbox Wiki because I'm using non standard settings and test procedures.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
But Marv Rockbox considers all songs part of a a p**yl**t. Check this in the manual.

All kidding aside I can understand your reluctance to install Rockbox on your only Sansa. Especially after your adventure changing your Sony to MSC. I've never had a problem with installation but the warnings on the install page are still there.

BTW the EQ is much better. It actually allows you to work effectively with negative values. Following dfkt's posts on using those I have learn a little bit about how to equalize my headphones without introducing added distortion. I've uncovered sounds and subtleties that I had been losing by increasing values I wanted instead of decreasing values I didn't want. It seemed totally wrong when I first start working that way but once I started to get the hang of it WOW! Being able to save presets for each set of 'phones is the real icing on the cake.

Once I get some more real world results I'll post them here. I don't think they would be right for the Rockbox Wiki because I'm using non standard settings and test procedures.
All songs are playlists?
I understand the theory on the EQ that you're talking about, haven't ried it yet though. I do like saving presets for different 'phones though....my Sony's do it, and my Samsung did too.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by funman View Post
The percentage reported by rockbox should be somewhat linear.

More precisely, the same amount of time should elapse between 100%, 90%, 80%, 70% ... 10%, 0% , see http://svn.rockbox.org/viewvc.cgi/tr...27&view=markup
Haven't seen a discharge chart in quite a while so that news to me. Thank you. Also if I'm reading the link you gave correctly it should also be safe to let the battery bench to run until power down without harming the battery?

Old 07-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
All songs are playlists?
Yep, you run Rockbox and you will be using playlists. It's no big deal though. It's not like you are forced to hand craft and save a p**yl**t every time you want to listen to music. Theres nothing that should stop you from listening to your music the way you do now. IIRC you have said you like to listen to whole albums? You can just use the file browser and play that entire album. The database will let you do the same thing just a bit differently. You can just as easily insert other whole albums and create a um, er, well you know what I want to say. I don't want you to have to see THAT word too often .

Once you get your player and get Rockbox installed you'll probably want to read and keep the manual nearby for a little bit but once you've used it for a bit it's fairly easy to see the logic and structure behind the "Everything's A P**yl**t" concept.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Yep, you run Rockbox and you will be using playlists. It's no big deal though. It's not like you are forced to hand craft and save a p**yl**t every time you want to listen to music. Theres nothing that should stop you from listening to your music the way you do now. IIRC you have said you like to listen to whole albums? You can just use the file browser and play that entire album. The database will let you do the same thing just a bit differently. You can just as easily insert other whole albums and create a um, er, well you know what I want to say. I don't want you to have to see THAT word too often .

Once you get your player and get Rockbox installed you'll probably want to read and keep the manual nearby for a little bit but once you've used it for a bit it's fairly easy to see the logic and structure behind the "Everything's A P**yl**t" concept.
Basically, I either listen to an album, shuffle one artist's stuff, or shuffle all. Point taken about the manual, though.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Late to this party! Just caught up and now am delighted that Marv has entered the Rockbox conversation!

skip and WalkGood everyone else is right. Yes, every song you play on a RB device becomes part of a playlist.!!!

But do not fear! It has zero impact on someone like you Marv who [at the moment!] disdains playlists. Using RB, you can still easily play your music in any way you want: artist, by album, etc...

I am at pre-school Rockbox level - still have not messed around too much with the EQ. skip252, I warn you that you will probably be one of the people I harangue with questions on this when I am ready to explore the RB EQ.

And I know we are talking about Clip/+ here specifically, but if you get a chance Marv, do check my Fuze V2 battery times with and without RB, posted here:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=56127

As that tall dark helmeted dude said: "Join us!!"

Playlists ROCK! lol <hadda throw that in>
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-11-2010, 04:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My Clip+ arrived yesterday & I charged it up loaded about 25 tracks of various genres to see how it sounds. So far not bad (it's not a Zen but will do). It is very small(in the bra it goes)I will have to use my right-angle headphones or the attenuator for my Shure's. So far I've been playing it for 4 hours & the battery level has barely moved. Still can't find the camera.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
to see how it sounds. So far not bad (it's not a Zen but will do).
You're kidding, right? Do a volume-matched AB comparison between the players, playing the same tracks - then judge sound quality.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
… in the bra it goes … it's not a Zen but will do ...
You might be muffling it or I could be wrong and this mod may actually improves the sq

In all seriousness it may not have all the superficial features of some other players but when it comes to sound quality it’s certain among the best. And if rockboxed the tweaks are fantastic, try a flat A/B volume matched test as dfkt suggested ...

Old 07-11-2010, 05:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
You might be muffling it or I could be wrong and this mod may actually improves the sq

In all seriousness it may not have all the superficial features of some other players but when it comes to sound quality it’s certain among the best. And if rockboxed the tweaks are fantastic, try a flat A/B volume matched test as dfkt suggested ...
I shall do as suggested. So far I can say it is not as loud as my Zen. I did find the in the settings "high" under volume. I have been using the JVC Flats with it. I LOVE the way it handels the Audiobooks genre separating them from the rest of the files.I think i will have to do some more tag editing to get all my books with "audiobook" some where in the tag. I listen to books more than I do music. Nearly half of my files are audiobooks on the computer. I just may end up using this one exclusively for audiobooks

Old 12-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok , I finally Rockboxed one of my Clip+'s since I have 3 of them I pulled one out & did it. I'm still playing with it. Do I need to boot to OF to put more music on it & view the files that are on it thru Windows Explorer??

Old 12-26-2010, 01:33 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Yes, USB is still disabled in rockbox. Make sure you use MSC in the OF.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks, I will load new tune right now.