android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi2

Old 07-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Default From Zen Vision:M to Now. What happened to drag/drop/rock, without worry?

I bought my wife the Zen, and she bought me the Zen X-Fi 2, both recently. Back in 2007, i bought ( and still have and won't get rid of) the Vision:M, becasue i did not want to bow down to Apple and buy the over rated Ipod ( not a horrible piece of tech, but lacking when compared to Creative products), and not be frustrated with the software that is nightmarishly known as Itunes.

I loved the Vision:M. Every video i ever loaded onto it, worked without worry. Right click/send, and it played without ever asking about converting to work on my player, running XP Pro.

The Zen, and X-Fi 2 need stinking conversion, on files that it is supposed to run right out of the box. What happened? Why was it so easy on the Vision:M, but now you have to cross your fingers, say a prayer, that the video will just copy and play, without worrying about the error messages popping up saying that a WMV, or AVI file does not match my players type(wifes Zen under XP OR Windows 7), or having to convert a file that is already supposedly supported by the player (my X-Fi 2) from AVI to "Magic AVI file" . Thank God Windows 7 knows what it is doing, but i didn't think it was rocket science to just right click/send a file that is supposed to be supported already by the vendor, right out of the box.

Anyone know why?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-06-2010, 04:50 AM

The case with AVI is that it is only a container format, the player can handle the container AVI, but only if the contents is in a supported video format such as MPEG-4 for example. When it comes to WMV it supports WMV9 if I remember correctly, so other WMV versions might not work properly.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 07-06-2010, 05:45 PM

I used a Vision (not M or W, just Vision) before, and I also noticed that the newer Zens are more restricted on the videos they take.
From my experience with xvid videos the newer Zens are more picky about the resolution and bitrate; where I could just transfer a 720x576 video at 1000 kbps to my Vision, the X-Fi2 usually requires conversion to a lower resolution to fit its specs (even though the Vision had the same specs if I recall correctly..).

But as Habhome said, the version of WMV may also be an issue. But I've actually never had good experiences using WMV, so I always converted to xvid..

Old 07-08-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the help guys!

I really did enjoy not worrying about videos working on the first try with the Vision:M, and i was spoiled by that.

I've judged all other PMP's by the Zen Vision:M standard, and all in my selfish opinion, they all sucked. But i guess times change, but not my love for Creative's awesome sounding players.

Last edited by jammaniaclord; 07-08-2010 at 09:18 PM.