android
Old 07-09-2010, 03:21 PM

Default Will Rockbox Ever Support Embedded Album Art?

I've had no problems getting Rockbox on my Fuze V1, but its driving me nuts trying to get album art to show up, which I really really want to work with some of the themes I downloaded, and even that little album scroll thingy. I've looked over the instructions regarding album art but would like to get any suggestions that might make album art easier than having to go through every single folder I have and placing art in it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Glove4: I too am a big fan of embedded album art. Have you tried this though?

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/AlbumArt

Check out the first app, Rockbox Album Art Downloader. It works great. It extracts all of your embedded artwork while your Fuze is connected and then you can specify where/what size you need them so RockBox can pull them up. I asked this recently here in ABi. All you need to do is to create an 'albumart' folder under .rockbox and put all your album art in there.

As for naming conventions, I have used the following:
Music File: Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet - 01 - Up In The Sky.mp3
Album Art: Joe Satriani-Crystal Planet
Place all artwork in .rockbox/albumart folder [including songs on microSDHC] on main mem root of Fuze.

This works perfectly for 99% of my artwork.

I only have some issues with albums with non standard characters like '?', etc...Need to figure out how RockBox needs to see those.

In my own thread, I believe Saratoga responded that getting Rockbox to recognize embedded artwork is a bit of a chore and that thus far, not much interest has been around to getting this to work natively. Still, I am hopeful that one day it might be addressed.

But for now, the app above works great - thanks to skip252 as well for major assist on this for me.

hth and good luck,
-lestatar

EDIT: Link to that thread:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=55733
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-09-2010, 04:29 PM

I stupidly missed this thread, thanks for reposting it. I will try out this application ASAP. Thanks for the helpful info.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Hey Lestatar, I just I think you suffering from selective memory again. We were BOTH scratching our heads and trying to figure out how to get your AA working when funman stepped in and gave you the needed info. I really admired how he was able to give a few basic pointers and get you up and running. 3 or 4 well targeted lines and bang! you were over the hump. That's the kind of help that you can get when the developers see you've done your homework but are just stuck.

There is a recent thread in the Rockbox forums that seems to be a prime example of how not to address attempting to get embedded AA included in Rockbox. True jerkism in action.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

skip252, lol....actually, no. I quite clearly recall it was you who mentioned that the .rockbox/albumart folder in main mem was all I needed to use [I originally had put my microSDHC song jpgs in the same folder as my mp3 files, with decent but not complete results].

So, I stand by my praise, giving credit to you in this case. Unless of course I am suffering from some early onset mental issues [either that or I am having more Tim Leary hallucinations...]

And of course, credit to funman and Saratoga for continuing to be such huge help on this stuff here...

EDIT: Just read that Rockbox forum thread skip252...Man, some people simply need to read "How To Make Friends And Influence People".... lmao!

What a stinker!
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-18-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
. . .

This works perfectly for 99% of my artwork.

I only have some issues with albums with non standard characters like '?', etc...Need to figure out how RockBox needs to see those.

. . .
The manual clearly states:

"The following characters will be replaced with an underscore (_) when looking for
albumtitle.bmp or albumartist-albumtitle.bmp: \ / : < > ? * |."

Thus, in your file name for your album artwork, such characters must be replaced with an "_" sign.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad11656 View Post
The manual clearly states:

"The following characters will be replaced with an underscore (_) when looking for
albumtitle.bmp or albumartist-albumtitle.bmp: \ / : < > ? * |."

Thus, in your file name for your album artwork, such characters must be replaced with an "_" sign.
Hey wad11656....yeah, uh thanks for pointing out that I am a moron.
Seriously, I did eventually go back to the manual and find this info - but good looking out.

I was....uh...hoping that post of mine would die quietly...

Thanks again... lol!
A Glossary for Newbies