android
Old 07-30-2006, 10:37 AM

Default ZVM in the car

Hi All,

I want to hook my Zen VM to my car stereo, I found a receiver the JVC KD-G720 that I like for $200. Two questions, does the Zen VN connect to the USB on the front or the CD changer control on the back. Next how do I know that the receiver I purchase when connected to the Zen will also charge the Zen? I don't want to have a seperate car charger my receiver should take care of the charging to.

Thanks in advance Scott

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-30-2006, 10:47 AM

I guess the JVC only understands the iPod or normal UMS audio players, not the MTP stuff that the ZV:M works with.

The specs on the JVC site sound even more braindead, "USB Memory Slot for Music File Playback (MP3/WMA) Up to 1GB" - http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...thId=54&page=2

Old 07-30-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox
Hi All,

I want to hook my Zen VM to my car stereo, I found a receiver the JVC KD-G720 that I like for $200. Two questions, does the Zen VN connect to the USB on the front or the CD changer control on the back. Next how do I know that the receiver I purchase when connected to the Zen will also charge the Zen? I don't want to have a seperate car charger my receiver should take care of the charging to.

Thanks in advance Scott
Scott,

I just bought this adapter P.I.E. HON03/PC-SON 2003-06 Honda Changer Interface/Auxiliary Adapter

and installed it in my 03 Accord. The adapter uses the auxiliary input from the stock headunit. Then I had to buy the PIE 3.5-RCA6mm 3.5 headphone Jack to RCA Adapter Cable to connect my ZV:M to the adapter. The installation only took 30 minutes plus NO cutting, taping, splicing, or soldering of any kind. Just three easy clicks in install the adapter and I was done. It also saved me the trouble of trying to buy an install kit for the aftermaket headunit.

All together I spent $115. Now I take my ZV:M anywhere I go! IMHO...it was a better deal then buying an after aftermarket head unit.

Go to http://www.discountcarstereo.com/ to see if the make an adapter for your vehicle.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
I guess the JVC only understands the iPod or normal UMS audio players, not the MTP stuff that the ZV:M works with.

The specs on the JVC site sound even more braindead, "USB Memory Slot for Music File Playback (MP3/WMA) Up to 1GB" - http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...thId=54&page=2
Sorry to jump into the conversation being new to both MP3 players and car stereos with USB inputs. I am currently looking at getting a new car stereo very soon (within the next few days). Am I understanding you correctly that the particular car stereo model posted by the original poster can interface with UMS audio players and give PFD-type control? If so, how would I determine if my MP3 player (only one I have ever had, the Creative Nomad Zen Xtra 40 GB) is UMS or MTP?

Sorry for the newbie questions and thanks in advance!

Old 07-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Your Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra is an MTP device.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:21 PM

UMS - No drivers needed.

MPT - Drivers must be installed for device to work.

As for the stereo question, Im not sure, but seeing that they are not incredibly advanced computer systems, they should need drivers or anything like that. Test it out of one of the devices in-store...if you can, before you pay losta money for it.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:21 PM

Default playing zvm in my car stereo

hopefully this will be pretty easy, i bought my zvm days ago, read all about how to hook it up, and i bought a RCA Y cable and hooked it up to my aux ports on my cd player.. this is where im lost. my sound has to be on "01" if its more than that it plays whatever is on my actual radio, along with the zvm. i cant go any higher on the volume. im hoping im missing something so i can get this to work in my car. anyone help me out?

Old 09-11-2006, 08:09 PM

if im not clear, please tell me so, i really would like to listen to zmv in my car

Old 09-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What kind of head unit (car stereo) are you trying to hook it up to?

Also, just so I'm clear: When you plug in your Zen, you can still hear your car stereo's radio playing?

Old 09-12-2006, 12:51 AM

i have a jvc somethin or other, i bought it last year. it have the 2 hookups, red and white, and yes i still hear radio music. if im at 01 volume, it is so faint that i cant hear it. but once i turn it up, i hear the zen music along with the radio music. i cant figgure it out. thank u for responging zenchick!

Old 09-12-2006, 08:22 AM

First are you changing the input to cdchanger/external? Second the last JVC I saw had one set of inputs for cd changer/external, but it had to be changed in the head units settings whether it was picking up a cd changer or external. All I had to do was hold down the mode/settings button for a 2nd set of options. Default is probably cd changer. Hopefully this helped. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2006, 09:37 AM

Sounds like you might be hooking in thru the rca pream outputs. Do you change modes to hear it or just turn it on...I think your radio is not set up for input.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:32 PM

Default I want to play ZM through my car stereo too

Just to generate some interest, I too am looking to get my car stereo interfaced with my ZM. The best way is to get the Zen interfaced through a USB port or external CD changer port. The ZEN is a MTP Media Transfer Protocol device and there are not many manufactures of car stereos that make a compatible device. Dual is the only one I've found see below:

Dual XDMP680 Car Audio PlaysForSure
Car Audio
By: EnzoTen on January 12, 2006 7:18 PM

Finally car audio manufacturers are starting to support other devices in the car other than the iPod. Dual will be releasing a head unit in Q2 of 2006 with a iPlay EAUSB20 media adapter that will interface with your PlaysForSure compatible devices. And we are not just talking audio input, the stereo will be able to control the tracks and read ID3 information. It will also allow you to listen to all of the music you purchased through online music stores including the unlimited services. The head unit will sell for $190 and the media adapter $100.

Now we can hope that other car audio manufacturers will follow suit. However, I would like to see a uniform standard for connection devices weather it is a PlaysForSure device or an iPod, letís not be discriminate. Give the consumer option to choose whatever MP3 player they want and not having to worry about compatibility issues.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:06 PM

I currently have a Kenwood with both the rca imput and the usb. Currently the usb does not work with my Zen. I emailed kenwood and they replied that they are working on a firmware update so it will work. For now i used the rca and added a 3.5 female to the other end mounted in a cubby hole in my dash. It works well and sounds great...although i hope to see the usb work eventually.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:40 PM

thats what i forgot to say. the cd player does have an external option. i read the manual and did what it said, but when i push the settings button, or the cd button, it does nothing, the manual says that it should work, but it doesnt. so i guess i have to deal with a broken cd player maybe?

Old 09-12-2006, 03:54 PM

So under settings, its set to external(only options should be changer and external), and then for source it should say external(am,fm,cd,external). With those settings it should work. As far as the Y cable you bought, I'm assuming its the JVC plug-in to red and white rcas? Or can the headunit take red and white RCAs?

Another note, I usually have to turn up the zen to 25 for best audio quality from my head unit.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:19 PM

ok... is this my answer?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gCb2S14...550&I=105KSU57
i really dont want to pay for an adapter, but if u guys think i have to.
the maunual for my KD-G400 says i need the KS-U57 adapter, but specs for the adapter doesnt have my cd player as 1 it supports, what gives? man im lost

Old 09-12-2006, 04:36 PM

Thats exactly what mine looks like, but I may have an older deck than you that doesn't have RCA inputs. I have that cable, then a rca to mini jack cable. That may or may not work for you, but it works for me and my jvc deck. Good luck!

FYI I got mine for $10 via ebay. They should also have them at best buy if you want it sooner.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:46 PM

ok somepunk, theres 2 kinds out there. 1 with the little black box between the 2 the 2. then the other one is just 1 line. so say i get this, what do i hook my zen up to so i can play the music?

Old 09-12-2006, 05:04 PM

Mine didn't have a box. Heres the sequence:
1.Headunit
2. JVC cable to red & white RCA cable (short cord, stays behind head unit)
3. red & white RCA to mini jack cable (long cord, routes from behind the head unit to the rest of the car)
4. zen, or any other device that has a headphone out jack.

Keep in mind you won't be able to control the zen through the deck, but you can plug in almost anything in. Nice if everyone you know has a different brand mp3 player, or if you still know someone with a walkman. Cheers