android
Old 09-12-2006, 05:09 PM

from the pictures i see of these things, i dont see a 6 ft cord. there are only 2 rca holes to plug in the back of the headunit, should there be 4?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's seriously starting to sound like those RCA jacks you plugged into are actually output jacks for connecting your stereo to external amplifiers.

I'm not aware of many car stereos that have RCA inputs. I've seen a few with 3.5mm inputs, but few with RCA inputs, and I don't think your unit is one of them.

Your best bet is to do what was suggested above and get one of those CD Changer-to-RCA adapters for your stereo.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:48 AM

Thats just my set up. I'm not quite sure how to explain it more clearly. On the back of your headunit, look for a place to put the JVC connector, not RCAs. The goofy looking end in this pic.

So plug that into the head unit. Then find a RCA(red and white ends) to MINI JACK(headphone plug) cord locally.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 PM

I use one of these. It does the same thing as that JVC adaptor, but the plug on mine is made spefically for the factory radio in 2003-2006 GM cars and plugs into the radio's CD changer jack. I then run from my Zen to the RCA plugs on the box and select the CD changer on the head unit. It works great.

A word of advice - don't output to a stereo (car or otherwise) from the headphone jack. It's a lower quality output and you'll have to crank up the volume very loud just to get decent sound. Instead, connect your sync adaptor that came with the Zen and use the line-out jack on that. You get much better sound at full volume, then you can control your actual listening volume with the stereo. Note that you need to turn off the video output on your Zen before you do that, otherwise the screen will turn off when you plug in the cable. Do this under System -> Photo/Video Settings -> Video Out: Off.
Grado SR-60

Old 12-19-2006, 03:30 PM

Default ZVM in the car

Hi, I just got a new ZVM as an early x-mas gift...woohoooo very eazy to use!!!! I can't belive how simple it was to dump 11Gigs on songs onto it.

Right now I have something called Aux-Pod installed in my car and it basically allows me to use any audio device in my car to hear the music from my car speakers. That said, does anyone here use something similar?

My question is what sound setting do you leave it on? I have to put mine on 22+ to hear it clearly otherwise its too low. My car volume goes up to 60max and I usually listen at 35-40. Can anyone post their input on this?

Thanks alot for the help. Did I mention I love the ZVM?

Old 12-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Use the A/V Out jack on the sync adapter (the small white thing you plug into the player's bottom). It is more suited for line-level inputs than the headphone jack is.

One tip if you do that: Go into Main Menu --> System --> Photo/Video Settings and set Video Out to Off. This prevents the display from blanking when you plug into the A/V jack.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:49 PM

Thanks ZenChick, that made a HUGEEEE diff in the sound. Do you think since its much louder through the line-out, it will use more battery?

Also, I am not able to change the volume on the zvm when in this mode it seems to be fixed, is that normal?

Old 12-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It won't use more battery. In fact, since you're not using the built-in headphone amp, it might actually use less.

The volume on the line out (A/V out) is fixed. That's normal. You'd use the external amplifier you've plugged into to control the volume.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:41 PM

What's the use of putting it through the A/V jack? is the sound quality better? usually i just put the car volume max and leave the player at 10

Old 12-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The sound quality is MUCH better, because you're feeding the proper signal to the external amplifier (your car stereo in this case). Most line-level inputs are looking for a high-impedance connection, such as another device's line-out jack. Plugging into the headphone jack not only results in an impedance mismatch, you can also overdrive your stereo's inputs, resulting in distortion.

Plus - by using the A/V jack, you are bypassing the ZVM's headphone amplifier, which was only meant to drive relatively low-impedance loads, like a headphone -- not drive a high-impedance stereo input.

In none of that made any sense to you, then just trust me, hon - it sounds better through the A/V jack!

Old 12-20-2006, 07:40 PM

I agree its sounds WAYYYYYY BETTER, just gotta keep that lil attachment in the car somewhere now and get an extra for the home...hehehe

I'll see how the battery lasts using this method I hope it lasts longer.....hehehehe

Old 12-21-2006, 09:12 AM

Default RCA stereo adapter

Since the A/V connection on the dongle has four contacts (left,right,vid) and a ground, is it safe to plug a stereo only adapter cable into this jack (for use in the car)?

A stereo (audio only) plug only has three contacts (Left, right) and ground. From the looks of the contact assignments (posted on this site) the video output would be shorted to ground using a regular stereo plug.

Any Comments?

JHZEN

Old 12-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It is safe - however, be sure to go into your system settings (Main menu --> System --> Photo/Video Settings) and change Video Output to Off. This keeps the display from blanking when you plug the audio cable in.

A majority of the time I'm using my ZVM, I'm connected to the A/V jack. It won't harm the player.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:03 PM

Tried yesterday, plugging it in the A/V jack seems to be worse for me, it gets all staticky

Old 12-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidandroid View Post
Tried yesterday, plugging it in the A/V jack seems to be worse for me, it gets all staticky
Hmmmm... That ain't right at all!

Try using a different cable, and then try using a different stereo (like your home stereo, for example) to test it out.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:53 AM

Tried the A/V output in the car for the first time yesterday using the AUX input.

Pro:
Sound is better. (both stereo separation and clarity)

Volume is matched to the radio so when I switch to radio I don't have to readjust the volume. (Pioneer head unit using auxin adapter into CD changer port)

Con:
Don't like the need for the dongle. (Until I get a dedicated cable that plugs directly into the docking port.)

Old 12-24-2006, 10:05 AM

Is there a cable that plugs into the zvm without using the dongle for audio? iF you know can you please post a link?

Thanks

Old 12-24-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvmfanatic View Post
Is there a cable that plugs into the zvm without using the dongle for audio? iF you know can you please post a link?

Thanks
Yes, just plug it to the headphone jack.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:57 PM

THanks but the sound is too low from there for an AUX input. Its only meant for headphones. Im looking for a cable where one end plugs directly into the bottom and the other end has stereo in.

Thx

Old 12-28-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvmfanatic View Post
THanks but the sound is too low from there for an AUX input. Its only meant for headphones. Im looking for a cable where one end plugs directly into the bottom and the other end has stereo in.

Thx
zvmfanatic, Can or have you used a soldering iron? For roughly $10 you can make one.

mouser.com order part# 656-DD1P030MA1 $5.75
pick up a 3.5mm extension cable from walmart for $5
I have a thread "Dongle fine pitch connector" that you can reference for pin locations.

If you prefer I can make one and post a pic of what it looks like. I have parts to make two, one for myself, so making two would be easy.

later,

shoefly