android
Old 12-30-2006, 03:40 AM

Just wanted to add a question (sorry, didnt want to make another thread with the same topic in mind), but I only have a cd player in the car, and no tape deck. I borrowed my girlfriend's converter and it's the kind that you plug into the cigarette lighter and it has a knob for frequencies to use but you would have to get a completely fuzzy station for it to work. It sound's OK but since I drive long distances sometimes, the frequency signals change and I would have to keep changing. Are there any other converters out there? Maybe one that goes into the cigarette lighter BUT uses the line out cable -- or anything else that would be useful for someone like me?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-30-2006, 03:44 AM
ABI Invaluable

I'm not aware of any. You could just simply use a cigarette-lighter charger in conjunction with a standard 3.5mm headphone plug - to - RCA "Y"-adapter cable.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:34 AM

just to add, you can get a signal booster if you choose to go the headphone route:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIELD1
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/prod...?productid=1074
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/prod...?productid=4930

Old 12-30-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvmfanatic View Post
Right now I have something called Aux-Pod installed in my car and it basically allows me to use any audio device in my car to hear the music from my car speakers. That said, does anyone here use something similar?
Is this an after market add on to your stereo? Or is it built into it? I don't want to relace my existing unit because it sounds great. If it is an add-on, how much did it cost? Is it available at a car audio store? Website? Thanks for the info.

Scott

Old 12-31-2006, 01:34 AM

Sounds like you guys are talking about an FM Transmitter.

I've seen a few (very few) for ZVM but I don't know how they connect. I'd love to see one like the 100's made for iPod. A dock that plugs into the cig/aux power port so you have the FM transmitter, cradle and power.

For now, I'm trying to find a Scosche FM transmitter that is not only cheap (about $20) but supposedly kicks butt on all the high priced ones. Supposedly only carried at Wal-Mart in the auto electronics section. Tried one today, and out of the 49 Scosche products, not one FM transmitter.

Like this one.

Or this DLO, designed for the ZVM.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:13 AM

The most highly rated one available in the UK is the

Belkin Tunecast II.

I got one for christmas and it will set any channnel from 86 to 108 MgHz in 0.1 increments. You can store up to four self selected settings.

Works with 2 x AAA cells or has a real long lead that plugs into the lighter socket in your car.

My problem is he the FM airaves are really congested in the UK and in order to get a clear shot you need at least 0.2 separation + -. This is fine to set up static but once you start rolling this can change in less than 30 miles. I drive on average 33,000 miles in a year and regulary get up to 300 miles from home. I have not had the chance yet to drive the lenght of the M1 Motorways but when I do I will let you know how many times I needed to retune to find a clean patch of air.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=166893

and a chap who has Frankensteined his

http://jiggybyte.com/indexAnon.php

Last edited by Aardvark; 12-31-2006 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Link added to Belkin

Old 12-31-2006, 12:39 PM

I used to use the FM transmitter but living in the city it is hard to find channels without interference and when you travel it sucks if you are jamming away and you now enter an area where your channel is an actual station and you get crazy interference and have to find a new channel.

So i went ahead and did below

I have a pioneer premier head unit. It has an Aux port built into the front, But i tend to use the second aux port in the back of the head unit. I plug an IP Bus to RCA($30-$50) and then run a RCA to headphone ($5 -$10) out of my cup holder.

It is the best investment I ever made for the ZVM

The only down side is you still need to use the actual ZVM interface to change tracks, I just load up a big playlist and let it play though to prevent continuous distractions while driving

your solution really depends on the type of head unit you have in your car, Pioneer you need to use the IP Bus and not all models have it. I have done it with Pioneer, Clarion, and kenwood units it is simple as long as you can get the unit out of the dash.

the best advice is to check the manufacturers site and get the specs or from your book. Also check for accessories to convert to an RCA in or have an RCA in. Then go to a local radio shop to see if they have a cheaper one.

be careful Most after market units have RCA outs for Subs, and Amps, but not all have a method to receive RCA in. Just do your research

Old 12-31-2006, 11:35 PM

What about fm modulators? Are there any available or can I take one I have from a cd changer and adapt it? FM transmitters sound like dirt and. I'm using a cassette adapter now but I'd like a built in solution.

Scott

Old 01-01-2007, 12:03 AM

Default playing my ZVM in the car

i already have a cassette adapter for my ZVM and that works pretty well. it works even better plugged into my line out connection, except that i can't see the screen when the line out connection is in use.

is there any way of playing the ZVM in the car through the cigarette lighter/AV thing? i'm wondering if something on this page might work for me:
http://pocketpccentral.net/mp3c/crea...n_m_access.htm

thanks.

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later." - Mitch Hedberg
(o\_vw_/o) - beetles rule!

Old 01-01-2007, 01:20 AM
Banned

Nope- audio cannot pass through a cigarette lighter.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:16 AM

System > Photo/Video settings > Video Out > off.

Now the display wont turn off when you use the dock connection.

Old 01-01-2007, 04:19 AM

do what that post right above this one says to get your screen back. Keep your cassette adapter plugged into the dongle and get a cigarette plug charger to plug into your dongle.

All music all the time

Old 01-01-2007, 12:10 PM

is it possible my cig lighter is also a power outlet?

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later." - Mitch Hedberg

Old 01-01-2007, 02:38 PM

yes it is. That's what the the power adapter plugs into. What's funny is that now car mfgs are putting cigarette lighters all over the vehicle and calling them power ports or some such

Old 01-01-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werezenwolf View Post
yes it is. That's what the the power adapter plugs into. What's funny is that now car mfgs are putting cigarette lighters all over the vehicle and calling them power ports or some such
yeah, i think i've got three of those things.

i guess until my cassette player craps out, i'll stick with the cassette adapter.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 PM

shoefly,

That'd be great, I have never used a soldering iron. If you are planning to make one for yourself, I would love the see the pics.

Thanks,
zvmfanatic

Old 01-02-2007, 05:13 PM

And plug the adapter into the heaphone out, not A/V. A/V out is 4 wire not 3 like headpone.

The Dragon Calls! I must Go!
Canon EOS Rebel XT -- Canon Powershot S5IS

Old 01-02-2007, 06:05 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasstream15 View Post
And plug the adapter into the heaphone out, not A/V. A/V out is 4 wire not 3 like headpone.
There is nothing wrong with using the AV Out jack with a set of stereo cables. Just remember to change the Video Out setting to Off. I use the AV out myself, and it sounds much cleaner than the headphone jack.

Just don't try plugging headphones into the AV jack if you value your hearing.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Zen vision M 60GB to Alpine head unit??

Hi Guys!
Right, this could be a good question!!??

I'm thinking of buying a Creative Vision M 60GB unit which I would profer over an IPOD, but it will all hinge on the following probably daft question!
I know that the Vision M can be pluged into the Aux input of the stereo Via a phono lead but this would still mean I would have to get a charger and some sort of holder for it so that I can operate it.
I have an ALPINE CDA-9855R Head unit in my car this plays MP3/WMA cd's.
If I purchase a KCA-420i interface adapter unit form Alpine it comes with a cable that plugs into the (Ai-Net) socket in the head unit, and a cable that plugs into the bottom of the IPOD. This then allows me to charge the IPOD whilst in use but more importantly display the IPOD details on the head unit screen and control the IPOD through the head unit. which would mean the IPOD could stay in the glove box out of sight.

http://www.alpine-europe.com/content...or-iPod%AE.htm

What I would like to know is - - -
Has anybody tried the interface unit with a Vision M? are the connections on the bottom of the IPOD and The Creative of a similar type?
Could I get a creative cable and splice it onto the end of the Ipod cable?
Even if I get the cable sorted are the two units that different in the operation of the software that it'll never work??

Any help or insite would be great!!
and many appologies if this makes no sense what so ever!!!
Cheers!!

Old 01-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

We have an Alpine CDA-9852 deck in my girlfriend's car - no, unfortunately that only works with an iPod. Both devices, the ZV:M and the iPod are too different, you couldn't control the ZV:M via the Alpine's interface... sad thing is that cheaper Alpines don't even have an aux-in, so you can't even connect a player via line-out. Otherwise it's an excellent sounding car deck.