android
Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 AM

Default cannot install rockbox on my fuze v2 :(

hey guys...first post here

ok well i'm trying to install rockbox on my fuze v2 running firmware V02 03 33A.
first i downloaded the rockbox utility, ran it, downloaded the bootloader and everything and it reported no errors, so i assumed it worked. when i unplugged my fuze it just did the refreshing database thing, and then went back to the home screen. i turned it off and on, and again it went to the same home screen.

next i tried the manual installation. i followed the instructions here: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS for the fuze v2 and downloaded everything. i put the rockbox folder into the root folder of my fuze, then i ran the command prompt and it reported success so i put that firmware file into the root of my fuze and deleted the original one. when i unplugged it it did the refreshing media thing and thats it.

am i doing something wrong?? because i'd really like to try out rockbox
help is appreciated

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Banned

how new is your fuze?

some of the newer ones appear to be designed to block rockboxing, somebody on the sansa forums called sandisk about it and had a rep confirm that they are trying to prevent 3rd party firmware's from being used on newer revisions of the fuze apparently(cant find the link, thought i had saved it)

there may be a fix from the rockbox team at some later date, Not sure if there will be a workaround for this issue or not, both of my fuzes rockboxed fine but they are older v2 and v1 units not units made in the last few months.

from the page you linked

Quote:
Fuzev2: some models can only be upgraded to 2.3.31 or 2.3.31 unmodified OF version : can't downgrade to earlier unmodified OF versions or upgrade to any rockbox patched OF version. There is probably some additional upgrade file check we have not discovered. See FS#11406

Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 AM

ok well that may be it...i bought my fuze at futureshop like 10 days ago :P

Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Banned

yeah,that sucks, but TBH unless you really need gapless and the better EQ the OF is fine, they may find a workaround when/if funman or another dev can get ahold of one of these modified fuze's to give a good hard look at whats been changed.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Administrator

I wouldn't feel to badly. The Fuze is an excellent player even without Rockbox. If it's in Flyspray someone may be working on a fix. I wouldn't give up hope.

saratoga is both the Sansa forum moderator here and a Rockbox developer. funman is another developer that seems to stop by whenever he can lend a hand. They may spot something in your procedures that will help. I'd check in regularly to see if they might have some information on your situation.

Nothing is guaranteed with Rockbox but someone may find a solution. Until then I believe all you can do is wait and enjoy your player as is.

BTW, Welcome to ABi, I just wish it were under happier circumstances.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

copterz: welcome to abi and yeah, bummer you are having issues.

Stupid question though: I am new to RB myself, but I had zero issues installing it on my V2 Fuze. Mine was purchased in May and came with, I believe v2.02.26 FW, which I upgraded to v2.02.33 immediately.

However, as part of my own [manual] RB install on the Fuze, I first DOWNGRADED my OF back to v2.02.26. I believe I saw a mention that this is best at the time I was doing due diligence research on RB installs.

I have been informed that RB should be OF version independent in some ways - of course, it is possible as theorized that current/new Fuze devices have some sort of protective scheme to prevent any modifications. If so, this SUCKS.

But perhaps try downgrading the FW to v2.02.26 and give RB another shot? What have you got to lose?

And yes, the default GUI/FW on the Fuze is nothing special, but it does work.

good luck!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-15-2010, 01:36 PM

alright thanks everyone ill visit the rockbox site occasionally to see if theres any updates

Old 07-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
copterz: welcome to abi and yeah, bummer you are having issues.

Stupid question though: I am new to RB myself, but I had zero issues installing it on my V2 Fuze. Mine was purchased in May and came with, I believe v2.02.26 FW, which I upgraded to v2.02.33 immediately.

However, as part of my own [manual] RB install on the Fuze, I first DOWNGRADED my OF back to v2.02.26. I believe I saw a mention that this is best at the time I was doing due diligence research on RB installs.

I have been informed that RB should be OF version independent in some ways - of course, it is possible as theorized that current/new Fuze devices have some sort of protective scheme to prevent any modifications. If so, this SUCKS.

But perhaps try downgrading the FW to v2.02.26 and give RB another shot? What have you got to lose?

And yes, the default GUI/FW on the Fuze is nothing special, but it does work.

good luck!
-lestatar
v2.02.33 works fine, the wiki page just listed what was out at the time that part of the wiki was written, I grabbed the newer mkboot(or whatever its called) and updated the v2.02.33 to rockbox, it worked perfectly.

IF he could downgrade that would tell us if his unit is a locked one tho.

copterz could you please try downgrading your firmware to the older build(2.02.26).

also if you could give us the number off the back of your fuze that could help as well(so the RB guys could list your number in the known batch of not working units if you cant downgrade your firmware)

all the help you can give them will help them help you
also would be nice if

Old 07-15-2010, 02:10 PM

sure i'll downgrade... im guessing to do that i download an older firmware and place it in the root of my device?

EDIT: ok guess not because i did that and it still says im on 2.03.33A

EDIT2: alright i went to http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/11406 and sure enough mine has the serial number of the models affected oh well at least i know why i cant install it now

Last edited by copterz; 07-15-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah man, that really really sucks... :-(
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-15-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepCake View Post
how new is your fuze?

some of the newer ones appear to be designed to block rockboxing, somebody on the sansa forums called sandisk about it and had a rep confirm that they are trying to prevent 3rd party firmware's from being used on newer revisions of the fuze apparently(cant find the link, thought i had saved it)
I hope that isn't true. Sandisk would be hurting themselves if they did that. Some people buy specific products because they do support 3rd party firmware. I don't use it on my Fuze or Clip+, but I did buy a wireless router specifically because of it's support for 3rd party firmware such as Tomato and DD-WRT. The company (Buffalo) even advertises that as a selling point and you can now buy new routers with DD-WRT pre-installed.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

i can see them doing it because they have idiots working for them who think that return rates will skyrocket due to people who rockbox and have problems or brick their players trying to rockbox.

dosnt suprise me at all, its a stupid move, they should just make their own build of rockbox that supports DRM(audible type drm) and such and has a custom skin(like the OF skin) would make things nicer for geeks if in the system menu we had rockbox type options but didnt have to rockbox the player.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepCake View Post
dosnt suprise me at all, its a stupid move, they should just make their own build of rockbox that supports DRM(audible type drm)
You couldn't do this because of how the licensing works. You could package rockbox on a hardware device and sell it, but you'd have to open source everything, and obviously you can't open source audible's software since they don't give out the source.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Rockbox Developer

Sandisk prevents some Fuze from being downgraded < 2.3.31 because of a hardware change, not for blocking rockbox (not sure what exactly that Sandisk person meant).

Someone from Finland sent me such a Fuzev2 and now we can patch firmware correctly, but before those Fuzev2 can be rockboxed we need to handle this hardware change.

Check SansaAMS page on rockbox wiki, we try to keep the specific problems updated whenever there is progress.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:51 PM

So is this going to be fixed? I just bought a cancelled my ordered of my a 16GB view and bought a 8GB Fuze from dell because I wanted Rockbox and then I found this thread. Hopefully mine wont have the same prob.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illbashu View Post
So is this going to be fixed?
Read the post above yours. It has everything thats known about the issue.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:21 AM

Default same problem as copterz above

Wished I found this thread before.

Sansa Fuze v2 purchased from FutureShop 09/03/10. Serial #B/1008CBNK-8GB, firmware 33A. Can't downgrade firmware, can't rockbox.

I thought I'd buy one of these while I could since I saw there is a new Fuze+ on the way and didn't want to wait for a rockbox version for it (or risk rockbox never working on the + at all...damn irony!).

With the new Fuze+ on the way I'm not optimistic this seemingly difficult problem will be solved for such relativity few units, but I'll check here every once and a while just in case.

I guess I could return the Fuze, but I think I'll keep it anyway since it plays flac and has more storage than my other DAP...still I really wanted to rock.

Regardless, Sandisk has lost me as a customer and I wouldn't recommend anyone purchase any Fuze v2 or Fuze+.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWannaRock View Post
Wished I found this thread before.

Sansa Fuze v2 purchased from FutureShop 09/03/10. Serial #B/1008CBNK-8GB, firmware 33A. Can't downgrade firmware, can't rockbox.

I thought I'd buy one of these while I could since I saw there is a new Fuze+ on the way and didn't want to wait for a rockbox version for it (or risk rockbox never working on the + at all...damn irony!).

With the new Fuze+ on the way I'm not optimistic this seemingly difficult problem will be solved for such relativity few units, but I'll check here every once and a while just in case.

I guess I could return the Fuze, but I think I'll keep it anyway since it plays flac and has more storage than my other DAP...still I really wanted to rock.

Regardless, Sandisk has lost me as a customer and I wouldn't recommend anyone purchase any Fuze v2 or Fuze+.
The problem was solved, I think....and people are rockboxing even their newer Fuzes. Take a look here, I think the instructions you need are there.http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS

Old 09-13-2010, 02:28 AM

I got one Fuze v2 and rockboxed it last month the moment I opened it, its working

Old 09-13-2010, 05:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I got one a week ago and just dropped RB on it, and it worked. I think they've fixed it already.

Last edited by rickysio; 09-13-2010 at 05:35 AM.