android
Old 09-15-2010, 01:51 PM

Thanks Marvin but that's the guide and files I tried. But I'm on a mac, and new to mac and may have fudged something, so I'll try later on XP.

However, I don't seen anything on that link page pertaining to the exact problem the OP and me are having...perhaps I've skipped over the mention of it or misunderstand the terminology.

Hey, you other guys. Is your firmware version on those players you successfully installed rockbox to v02.03.33A? If not then it isn't the same problem as me and the OP. If you have the same 33A firmware version then did you use a different install guide than mentioned by Marvin? Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Administrator

You followed the instructions for installation using a Mac? mkamsboot has been updated and should be able to patch any firmware version now.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:02 PM

Thanks Skip252, I'll try again perhaps in a few days when I have some free time.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:49 PM

Tried again on Mac using the link and files refered to above. Mkamsboot, the newest version I could find (july 2010), didn't seem to update the firmware or offer the option and the result was the same...no rockbox.

Since I just purchased the fuzev2, and since the firmware isn't updated with every new player hardware change, do you think that just perhaps my player is just too new (v02.03.33A) to work with the current bootloader, mkamsboot, etc? I may have missed it, but I haven't found a post of someone with firmware version 33A who successfully got rockbox working.

If so, can someone please point me in the right direction (link) for getting this to work on mac (preferably) or XP? Thanks.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Unless Sansa has put out a third revision of the V2 Fuze your player is not too new foe mkamsboot to create a working patched firmware. It was updated in July to handle the newer players the automated installer won't handle. It works for the older ones as well.

What was the error message when you tried to patch the firmware? If you use the command line from the Status page you'll need to correct the file names to match what's in the rbinstall folder. I just cut and paste the line from the manual and it works in Windows.

You may even want to head over to irc://freenode/rockbox for some hands on help.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:03 AM

Thanks Skip. There was no message of any kind, and the player just booted into the original firmware just like the OP's result.

I'm gonna try windows next just in case I'm misunderstanding the mac instructions. If that doesn't work then I'll head over to that freenode site as you suggest.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWannaRock View Post
Thanks Skip. There was no message of any kind, and the player just booted into the original firmware just like the OP's result.

I'm gonna try windows next just in case I'm misunderstanding the mac instructions. If that doesn't work then I'll head over to that freenode site as you suggest.
Did mkamsboot give you any message?

Old 09-18-2010, 03:22 AM

"Did mkamsboot give you any message?"

It did, but unfortunately I didn't copy and paste it and I don't remember exactly what it said. I think at the very end it said "finished" but there were no error messages.

When I get a chance to try XP I'll go over to that freenode site for some hands on help. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:41 PM

I'm on a mac and recently (July?) rockboxed a brand new fuze 2 I got at Best Buy. It took many tries before I found the method that worked, and the thing that made it work isn't listed in any of the instructions I found back then.

Basically, the instructions said that I needed to download the most recent sansa firmware, patch it with the terminal method listed in the instructions, throw that patched version onto the fuze and restart it and get the firmware upgrade going. But nothing ever happened, even when following it to the letter. Sounds like your situation, no?

I noticed that when you followed the links for the new firmware there were 2 version available - one for the sansa firmware updater exe file, which is relatively useless to a mac person, and there's also the All Regions version. Get that one.

Inside that zip are 2 files. Patch the fuzpa.bin file according to the instructions. Move that AND the other file that is in the zip file (clpp_data.dat) into the root directory of the fuze. Unmount the fuze, and wait for the upgrade to happen - it never worked for me until I transferred that other file along with the patched fuzpa.bin. Then you should have a working bootloader.

Give this a shot, see if it works. You may already be doing this and have a totally unrelated problem, I dunno.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Administrator

This is an outdated post. The RockboxUtility has been updated and now works with the newer model Sansas. The manual install is possible but not necessary any more.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:23 PM

This new version doesn't run on my snow leopard machine. So perhaps my post isn't so outdated.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduck View Post
This new version doesn't run on my snow leopard machine. So perhaps my post isn't so outdated.
No, its wrong. I'm not sure why rbutil didn't run on your machine though.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:41 PM

Doesn't run. I've filed a report in the tracker about it. It hasn't run on OS X for a while now. At least not on my machine, which is kept updated to the latest version of OS X.

Is my post really that wrong? I've had 2 high ranked forum members jump on it now. However, my post is true to my experience - I couldn't get rockbox working on a similar device using similar tools, and found a solution, and shared it. IF rockboxutility worked for me, in either its earlier version or the current version, then yes, I would say to use that instead of my convoluted method.

Sorry if I've rankled the moderators and/or the developers. That was certainly not my intent.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Administrator

The clpp_data.dat file you say solved the problem is a slotRadio ad. It has nothing to do with the patching process. To say that including it solves anything would just confuse anyone trying to figure out why the firmware won't patch. The members that were saying it didn't work for them didn't provide meaningful information so they could receive help. That's where the problem was.

The manual installation directions are correct. They need to be followed exactly to install Rockbox. I've helped several people get Rockbox installed using those directions and it's worked every time on both Windows and Mac machines. I can think of a few times when someone has had a heck of a time getting Rockbox installed while attempting to follow the official directions. Having another, incorrect set they might try to follow would make it worse.

You definitely haven't rankled me. But when this thread was started the Rockbox Utility hadn't been updated to handle the newest Sansas. There's been some other improvements made. Autodetect only worked sometimes for me before. Now it detects both the correct drive letter and which player I'm trying to install.

Since it has been updated I felt it best to make sure the current information was presented. Yours is the first report I've seen of it not working. I'd definitely follow up on the Rockbox site and see if they have any insights.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:00 PM

Sorry to provide incorrect information. My experience was obviously shoddy - I was sure that I had done it right 3 or 4 times, and that adding in the clpp_data.dat file fixed it, but if it's just an ad file of course it was something else causing the problem. And of course once it was working I didn't go back and retest everything.

And yes, the rockbox utility issue is/was vexing - while it wouldn't start repeatedly this afternoon, even after using every trick I know, I posted the tracker report, and got a response very quickly that pointed me in the direction I needed to go to get it fixed and working. Some kind of system proxy problem (???) - I installed a little proxy on/off widget in the dashboard and now it works.

So, my apologies to skip252 and Saratoga, and to the OP, definitely get the newest rockboxutility.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Administrator

I don't feel there's any need to apologize. You tried to help. You learned more about Rockbox and how helpful the developers can be. Got your system working with the Rockbox utility (Yay!) and are in a better position to help the next person.

It was all done civilly and politely. To top it all off and there's a record here for the next person that needs help when there's no knowledgeable member around. I'd call that a win all the way around.