android
Old 07-25-2010, 11:13 PM

Default About time for new sansa player?

First of all, I am new on the forums, so hi everyone =)

I have a v2 Fuze, the best player for the price by a long shot in my opinion. Got 24 gb on it after w/ 16gb microsdhc expansion. It is such an awsome player, but it is over 3 years old, and I was wondering what Sandisk has in store for an update? Possibly this release season (fingers crossed)?

List of possible upgrades:
-gapless playback
-higher base capacity (16gb would be nice)
-better playlist structure, maybe allowing playlists to include both internal and external, and allow more than one at a time
-skinnable interface
-any more ideas? thoughts? please let me know, I am very interested in the prospect of a "Fuze2"

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Banned

I dont think you will see sandisk/sansa putting out gapless for the fuze or any other really new features, your best bet is to rockbox your player, as that will add all the features you could ask for, and many you wouldnt ever think to ask for

and you can have internal+external playlists on the fuze with OF but you have to use .pla playlists(easiest way to make them is to use the fuze in mtp mode under windows)

with rockbox AFIK you can use m3u8 files for the same perpous(what i have been told)

again most everything your asking about is already part of rockbox, other then larger internal storage, you really should give it a try

Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

While I too would love to see Sandisk come out with a new product or two [e.g. a Fuze+], not sure that's gonna happen anytime soon...But you never know :-)

Must agree with SheepCake: Rockbox on your Fuze will do all that you ask for.

If you want to stick with the original Fuze firmware and need playlists using songs from both main memory and the card [what I call mixed media playlists], there are 2 great free apps which will do this for you.

Search the forums here and online for references to:
- YAPL
- video4Fuze

I have used both with complete success for mixed media playlist creation.

cheers and hth,
-lestatar

PS: Welcome to ABi - stick around! :-)
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-26-2010, 05:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Super would also work if you prefer more control over conversion.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
Super would also work if you prefer more control over conversion.
What conversion? They're talking about making playlists of songs, that span both the internal and external memory.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ack brainfart.

I was speedreading through this thread and when I saw "video4Fuze" I thought I missed out the OP mentioning something not so good about video, so I added my 2c.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
Ack brainfart.

I was speedreading through this thread and when I saw "video4Fuze" I thought I missed out the OP mentioning something not so good about video, so I added my 2c.
Brainfart, you say? Click the pic!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Brain fart.gif (56.8 KB, 12 views)

Old 07-26-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepCake View Post
I dont think you will see sandisk/sansa putting out gapless for the fuze or any other really new features, your best bet is to rockbox your player, as that will add all the features you could ask for, and many you wouldnt ever think to ask for
I have a V2 Fuze, I don't believe it is able to be rockboxed yet. If you guys doubt a new Sansa Fuze this fall, do you think Sandisk will have anything new in store for the near future?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The newest revision v2 Fuze has different hardware than the older v2 Fuzes. It is already supported by Rockbox, but only in SVN. You can't build a working bootloader with the pre-compiled Rockbox Utility you can download from the site - you have to compile it yourself, for the time being.

More info:
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...&postcount=171
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...&postcount=173
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...7&postcount=14

Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 AM

I kind of want to try rockbox, but I am not tech savvy as many on here seem to be. all the directions sound like jargon to me, and I really don't want to mess up my fuze or run into problems

Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you have issues, well, we are here to help, after all!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

rockboxing is not hard, infact the rockbox utilitie can do most of the work for you, you just need the firmware files from sansa forums, the manual method is a bit more effort for people who dont know how to use a command prompt, but you shouldnt need that, since your on a v2 fuze you could even use this
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=55978
i tested it, it works fine, and its just drag and drop to get it installed.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You could even replace command prompt with just .bat files, but that's hard in another way itself.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:25 AM

I find these rumors wishful thinking and mostly pointless, remember how their other players have been released, mostly without any fanfare or marketing. Just look at how the Clip + was released, IIRC no9 found it in a store and bought it because it was different and we spoke about it in irc …

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-26-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_larson View Post
I have a V2 Fuze, I don't believe it is able to be rockboxed yet. If you guys doubt a new Sansa Fuze this fall, do you think Sandisk will have anything new in store for the near future?
Sandisk definitely has something coming out this year. Its been more than two years since they released the Fuze. There were rumors over a year ago about Sandisk patenting a so-called Sansa Tap, which since then, has amounted to nothing---yet. Who knows what it is, could be a simple touch screen Fuze, nobody will know until they release something. But that they will release something new is beyond doubt, for a company that owns such a large share of the mp3 player market vis-a-vis Apple.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Large share may be a bit of an exaggeration. From what I recall, SanDisk is in second place behind Apple, but it's a very distant second place.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Large share may be a bit of an exaggeration. From what I recall, SanDisk is in second place behind Apple, but it's a very distant second place.
Yes, it is something like 7% or something. But there's been no indication that Sandisk is throwing in the towel on the mp3 player market, so after 2+ years, they have to be releasing a follow up to the Fuze. And if they release something having to do with SlotMusic, I am throwing in the towel on Sandisk.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM

I'd love to see a new Sansa player...preferably a higher capacity one since the View was merely a stopgap for me and it wasn't very well received by others (to put it kindly). Sansas have low prices, good feature set, and killer micrSD integration so the potential is there. How they'll execute it is another question.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I too agree that Sandisk makes some very good products at some great pricepoints. But until/unless there is concrete, verifiable, official evidence of new players/models/upgrades, everything is indeed simply wishful thinking on our parts as WalkGood observed...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-26-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glove4 View Post
And if they release something having to do with SlotMusic, I am throwing in the towel on Sandisk.
It had better not be slotmusic. NO ONE uses it or finds it a good idea in any way. Sandisk should know to up their mp3 players and stop messing around with a glorified cd player.

Tags
fuze, mp3, new release, sansa, update