android
Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 PM

Sprites, eh? For the enemies, what are the dimensions you are looking at + how many do you need per enemy? Also, what are the different sprites you will need? (As in stance and movement)
AutoIt, Lua, Wiremod E2

Last edited by S1M1S; 10-18-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-19-2010, 07:29 AM

Size can be anything within 100wide*120high, just keep all sprite images the same dimensions. My current only enemy is 22*26 and the player is 40*40.

The enemy so far only has two sprites: Idle and Attack position. Due to my limited time I think I will have to stick with that to not waste time on animations. It will look uglier/crappier, but I'd prefer to call it "retro" =P

The sprites should be in profile and the enemies face left.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 10-19-2010, 08:23 AM

good sources for free graphic (tiles, items, monsters,...)
http://opengameart.org/

Old 10-19-2010, 09:56 AM

Lightbulb

So is this the sorta thing you wanted? These are the Fire Elemental PNGs. Tell me if this is the format you wanted. Also, they are in 22 x 26. One is Angry/Calm and one is Angry/Angry.

The sooner you tell me whether this is what you want or not, the sooner I can get working on others.
Attached Images
File Type: png FireElemental1.png (861 Bytes, 125 views)
File Type: png FireElemental2.png (1.1 KB, 124 views)
AutoIt, Lua, Wiremod E2

Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirius View Post
good sources for free graphic (tiles, items, monsters,...)
http://opengameart.org/
That's all good and well, but I want completely original art in my game which is made by me or other developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1M1S View Post
So is this the sorta thing you wanted? These are the Fire Elemental PNGs. Tell me if this is the format you wanted. Also, they are in 22 x 26. One is Angry/Calm and one is Angry/Angry.

The sooner you tell me whether this is what you want or not, the sooner I can get working on others.
Yes, that is kind of what I am looking for. I will post my pngs for reference:
Attached Images
File Type: png 1I.png (906 Bytes, 125 views)
File Type: png 1O.png (821 Bytes, 122 views)

Old 10-19-2010, 08:33 PM

Err... is that the 'Mistborn' one?

*Edit:

I reuploaded your (insert name here) because I noticed you left some white residue on your 'calm' one after editing it. Basically, ingame this would have resulted in an irregular white 'shadow' and it would have looked funny.

I also uploaded the .png for Rockle!

Rockle should appear at about lvl 10 and above. Health should be from double to triple yours with a low but fixed attack.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: png Mistborn1.png (881 Bytes, 112 views)
File Type: png Rockle1.png (398 Bytes, 111 views)
File Type: png Rockle2.png (491 Bytes, 114 views)
AutoIt, Lua, Wiremod E2

Last edited by S1M1S; 10-19-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Didn't want to double post.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:16 AM

Looks really nice. Just keep in mind that the player is 40x40. So both of those will be about half his size. So if they're supposed to look strong maybe you should make some bigger ones too.

I'll try adding these in with the mistborn. I might disregard the "elements" right now to get the rpg faster out for release, which will still be waaaaay off in the future due to my workload.

Thanks for the help though! It's very much appreciated!

Old 10-20-2010, 02:02 PM

If you're looking for magic sprites and stuff like that this is a great site
http://mrbubblewand.wordpress.com/category/animations/
and enemies sprites are found somwhere on
http://www.goldensun-syndicate.net/sprites/
its in the battle sprites under enemies

Old 10-20-2010, 03:23 PM

omg this game is looking sweet!

Old 10-20-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsquish View Post
If you're looking for magic sprites and stuff like that this is a great site
http://mrbubblewand.wordpress.com/category/animations/
and enemies sprites are found somwhere on
http://www.goldensun-syndicate.net/sprites/
its in the battle sprites under enemies
I will say it again. I won't take any sprites off of the internet somebody else has made. I want originality in the art in my game so I want it to be custom made for it.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Looks really nice. Just keep in mind that the player is 40x40. So both of those will be about half his size. So if they're supposed to look strong maybe you should make some bigger ones too.
Ah, the Rockle one is supposed to be twice his size, not half... I'll reupload it in a little while with this fixed. Expect an edit

Also, don't add in the fire elemental just yet. He looks like crap - I used the wrong program to make him
AutoIt, Lua, Wiremod E2

Old 11-02-2010, 03:40 PM

I've finally got a few hours to spend on this and if I'm lucky I can maybe get some kind of working fighting by the end of the week. But so far I still only have one enemy, since S1M1S wanted me to wait before adding in his sprites.

So if anyone could make some sprites according to previously given instructions I would be very grateful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
Size can be anything within 100wide*120high, just keep all sprite images the same dimensions. My current only enemy is 22*26 and the player is 40*40.

The enemy so far only has two sprites: Idle and Attack position. Due to my limited time I think I will have to stick with that to not waste time on animations. It will look uglier/crappier, but I'd prefer to call it "retro" =P

The sprites should be in profile and the enemies face left.
Please also specify what percentage of the player's stats the enemy should have:

Mistborn
Health Points: 50-70%
Magic Points: 0-0%
Attack: 50-70%
Magic: 0-0%
Agility: 50-70%

Please note that all graphics should be your own creation!

Example sprites below (left = idle, right = attack):
Attached Images
File Type: png Mistborn1.png (881 Bytes, 80 views)
File Type: png 1O.png (821 Bytes, 78 views)

Old 11-04-2010, 03:09 PM

Ok, no interest at all in two days. What if I throw in a new playtest video featuring what I have been doing with this lately?

Playtest video:

Old 11-04-2010, 03:33 PM

Looks very cool, with some well chosen details (claw sharpness, battle system) Keep up the good work!

Old 11-04-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaPx64 View Post
Looks very cool, with some well chosen details (claw sharpness, battle system) Keep up the good work!
Thanks! Right now I'm working on the battle system adding all the basic functionality. Like dying for example, which I didn't really handle well as you saw in the vid
Also the damage balancing is way off I would say. But I just threw in some basic code there to make it usable at least. Next up should be leveling/healing and some other things. Also, new enemies. I still only have this single one.

I might be releasing a pre-alpha demo version where you yourself can explore the tiny map and test the fighting and leveling (It's for that sole reason I created the fight pit, but I might keep it in the game). But before that I need to be able to finish it.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:52 PM

Way to go Habhome! Very cool indeed! This might be the first RPG game I'm actually going to play .

Old 11-05-2010, 02:57 PM

i have a question...why did u call it Neko Apprentice?

Old 11-05-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datallboy View Post
i have a question...why did u call it Neko Apprentice?
Good question!
First, it's called "Neko" because the main character is a cat, and "Neko" means cat in Japanese and I am a bit of an anime-nerd. And then "Apprentice" because the story should be that he is some kind of magicians apprentice, if I ever get that far.

EDIT: And I'm having some balancing issues and my brain is too fried to do maths right now. So just coming up with a decent damage and leveling algorithm will take some time and testing.

Last edited by Habhome; 11-05-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:04 PM

Ok, I need some help thinking here.

For the player I have these variables:
Strength
Magic
Agility
Sharpness
Attack power

And the enemy has the same minus sharpness.

For every 1 damage you do to the enemy you gain 10 exp in either strength or magic, depending on which attack style you used. The skill level is calculated by the formula (200*x+50*(x-1)), that makes it pretty easy at least in the beginning to increase levels.
I need to balance the variables above to a good attack damage which includes the player's strength, attack power and sharpness (for melee), but also takes into account the enemy's agility as defence. But I can't come up with any well balanced result, it increases in power too quickly. Any suggestions what I should consider in this?

Old 11-08-2010, 03:50 PM

:O

this would make my life complete

~Mr Wunderbar

Tags
creative, habhome, lua, neko apprentice, rpg, xfi2, zen