android
Old 08-01-2010, 02:27 PM

Default Album art size issue with Rockbox

I've been using the embedded album art extractor for Rockbox, but all my album art shows up blurry in each different theme I have installed. Does all art need to be resized? This is probably an obvious yes, but what works best? I've seen some themes that need 125x125, is this workable as a general size for all themes? And in the extraction app, do you use the resize function in the top right?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

glove4, i can help! :-) Have gotten quite adept with Rockbox/Fuze and album art...

Yes, some themes use very different sizes of AArt. Unfortunately not all themes work with all sizes. For me, I have now boiled it down to basically 3 themes for Fuze:

SpartanBlack
AW140
Cabbie-Enhanced

I have set all my art jpgs from Album Art Extractor at 125x125 as it seems to be a happy medium for the themes i use.
Also, I think skip252 is quite good with this stuff too - he can probably shed some light/more info on this. :-D

good luck and YMMV!
-lestatar

PS: of course, it also depends on the quality of your originally embedded artwork as well. Most of my art looks pretty nice and clear on my Fuze/RB but 99% of all my embedded art is at least 500x500 [but no larger than 75-100k].
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 08-01-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:01 PM

Lestatar: Yeah, most of my album art was embedded with Media Monkey, so most is around 500x500, give or take, hence its blurryness. I actually have Spartanblack installed also, so I will go ahead and give that a shot, should work. Also, do you change it from a jpg to bmp? Does that make any difference?

Old 08-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey glove4, I need to backtrack a bit and correct a mistake I made.

I have just been playing around with my rb Fuze and looked pretty carefully at the album art. Turns out I was mistaken in terms of how "clear" they look.

While certainly viewable, my stuff is a bit blurry as well. Most noticeable is readable size text on the covers. My apologies for overstating my own observations - I can only think that because I have been heavily using my rb Gigabeat FX lately [with 240x240 AArt on a very good screen] that my perception was spoiled.

Not sure now why this is the case with the blurry art. Again, like you, most if not all my embedded art is of quite good quality. I can only guess this has to do with the size of the images I am using on the Fuze, again, mostly around 125x125, and possibly due to limitations of the native screen resolution of the Fuze hardware itself. It has been a long time since I used the original Fuze FW, but I do recall that the displayed AArt was very small, much smaller than what I am using now with Rockbox. Perhaps it was blurry with the OF too but was too small an image to notice.

As for bmp/jpg in AlbumArtExtractor, I exclusively jpg. Not sure that using bmp would make a difference if indeed the issue is due to not so great Fuze hardware screen resolution. Others who know the specifications might be able to help out with info. Also, I would not use bmp as the file sizes of the aart files themselves would, I am sure, increase quite a bit, taking up valuable space for music.

The blurry-ish art is present on all the themes i have installed - even RB Pictureflow is kinda blurry.

Having said all this, I am not complaining one bit! I am perfectly happy to have even blurry art of noticeably larger size on my rb Fuze, especially considering how great Rockbox is overall and that even blurry, the art is still much nicer than the teeny images the OF uses/displays. And though a bit blurry, I still feel the AArt is quite viewable [but I am not really spending so much time staring at the screen anyway.] ;-)

Again, sorry for any confusion - please do let me know what you discover. If you find a solution, please share! :-)

cheers,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-06-2010, 08:12 AM

I myself was slightly disappointed by the slight fuzzyness of it.

I was messing with someone's iPod, and saw several bits of detail in one cover I never saw in the same picture on my Fuze.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:40 PM

Does it look blurry even compared to the original Sandisk firmware?

Old 08-06-2010, 04:06 PM

Well, it's not as clear as the same on the iPod (it has a nicer screen).

Also, the album art in the original OF came from wherever Windows Media Player gets it (over the internet). The album art in Rockbox came from a screen shot of the album in iTunes (I admit, my mother has an iPod and iTunes hates my guts!).