android
Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 AM

Default A possible Youtube App for Windows Phone 7?

This could be a sign of a Youtube app, among others.

If it's true, who knows what else could be revealed before the end of this year? o.0

It's an interesting thought.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If they don't include Youtube app and refuse to have flash in the browser quite a lot of hell will break loose.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

While 3rd party apps didn't make it to the Zune, WP7 is a different beast altogether. I'm 99% certain that it will have a Youtube app at launch. Google provides the app for every major (and many minor) platform(s).

More than likely it will be written in Silverlight. However, in the off chance it's written in XNA, it can then be backported to the ZuneHD...if specs don't get in the way (and they shouldn't for this app).

As for Flash support, it likely will not be ready at launch, but Adobe should have it out within the first 6 months (by April 2011) at the latest.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Pretty sure Microsoft stated that it will ship without flash. Seems like they are forcing devs to use either XNA or Silverlight.

Note : No official youtube app for Maemo 5, though. Not that it matters.

Adobe already has Flash 11 ready, so it's actually up for Microsoft to implement it.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
Pretty sure Microsoft stated that it will ship without flash. Seems like they are forcing devs to use either XNA or Silverlight.

Adobe already has Flash 11 ready, so it's actually up for Microsoft to implement it.
Incorrect. It's Adobe's job to make the program for the platform, and the platform developer to approve it. This is the only reason it's not on Iphone (Apple won't approve it). And Flash 11 is not even close to ready. It's Flash 10.1 that was just released for most platforms. That's the one that Adobe currently has in development for WP7.

Microsoft cannot legally develop Flash for their platform. I'm not sure where you're getting this misinformation from.

Quote:
Note : No official youtube app for Maemo 5, though. Not that it matters.
Well, Maemo is a desktop OS. There is a webapp that should be compatible with it. Open your web browser on the N900 and go to www.youtube.com/xl

Let me know if that works for you.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
Incorrect. It's Adobe's job to make the program for the platform, and the platform developer to approve it. This is the only reason it's not on Iphone (Apple won't approve it). And Flash 11 is not even close to ready. It's Flash 10.1 that was just released for most platforms. That's the one that Adobe currently has in development for WP7.

Microsoft cannot legally develop Flash for their platform. I'm not sure where you're getting this misinformation from.

Well, Maemo is a desktop OS. There is a webapp that should be compatible with it. Open your web browser on the N900 and go to www.youtube.com/xl

Let me know if that works for you.
Flash 11 part was a brainfart. When it's at night, I tend to misquote numbers easily.

Edit : Full desktop website works smoother than the one in the link you provided me - videos are smoother (on the desktop site, not the xl), amusingly. Videos browsed over xl look like slideshows.

Quote:
I'm not sure where you're getting this misinformation from.
Probably in the middle of the Haterade over Flash 10.1 over at talk.maemo.org.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:37 PM

Yea, XL is weird. I use it for my PS3. Fullscreen is fluid while windowed is choppy. Desktop version is the polar opposite. So, I use XL when I want to use fullscreen video on the PS3.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

From the looks of it, it actually adds a text button thingy in the media player.

Looks like some deeper integration than other platforms...