android
Old 08-11-2010, 05:04 AM
Administrator

@nerdy3.14159265, take a look at the Hydrogenaudio Wiki's take on transparency. You may(probably) be overshooting the mark in your quest for the best.

Anytime someone gives advice on what format, bitrate or encoder is best I always wonder why they don't include the phrase "for my uses". What works for me may be totally wrong for Marv. EggyCuppy's setup may bog the hell out of my system and sound terrible to me. Your setup may sound like 2 tin cans on a string to Marv. And each one could be the perfect setup for that person! You'll have to determine what's right for you.

You seem to all ready have foobar2000. You can determine what bitrate is transparent for you. Make sure you have the ABX Comparator installed. Then transcode a few or your FLAC files to various bitrates and formats. Drop a couple variations of the same song into fooby2k, right click, and run the ABX test.

The beauty of ABX testing is that it takes away anyone else's perception of what right or wrong for you and lets the only true judge of that be in control, your ears. You can test as often as you like, as much as you like, with any format foobar2000 can handle. In a fairly short time you'll find what's right for you.

One other thing, any decent lossy codec should go transparent at a certain high bitrate. Only you can determine what that is in your setup. ABX testing should get you there.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-11-2010, 05:47 AM

The "pop" was not even really a "pop," just an extremely small something I could hear.

Would Foobar 2000 be a good ripper to use?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmaster765 View Post
The "pop" was not even really a "pop," just an extremely small something I could hear.

Would Foobar 2000 be a good ripper to use?
With true gapless playback there is not pop, skip, hop, hesitation, anything. No extra noise at all. Nothing but one tune playing seamlessly after the next.

I think the ripper in foobar2000 is top notch. I recently tried the trial version of dbPoweramp. While I had it on I tested the results against EAC and fooby2k. They all produced rips that tested bit perfect against the original CD. Any ripper that can consistently produce the same results as EAC is worth using in my book.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Agree with skip252 - foobar2k is indeed a pretty fine ripper, especially if you use the current LAME [provided you choose mp3].

Overall, I feel foobar2k is a very nice, handy tool in my arsenal
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-11-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
@nerdy3.14159265, take a look at the Hydrogenaudio Wiki's take on transparency. You may(probably) be overshooting the mark in your quest for the best.

Anytime someone gives advice on what format, bitrate or encoder is best I always wonder why they don't include the phrase "for my uses". What works for me may be totally wrong for Marv. EggyCuppy's setup may bog the hell out of my system and sound terrible to me. Your setup may sound like 2 tin cans on a string to Marv. And each one could be the perfect setup for that person! You'll have to determine what's right for you.
I agree with you on all of that. I know I'm overdoing it, my best pair of headphones are basic skullcandies and they recently have a wire that broke lose in them and the left headphone cuts out a lot. Now my best are the ones that come with the Fuze.

I probably should start messing around with that, for me I've just been obsessed with getting the best possible quality out of my music even if I actually can't hear it. The only thing that has kept me from putting my FLAC files on the device is that I have a little sanity left.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned

depending on the music type and track people on HA say that q2-6 is all you need, some say 7 for really pesky tracks(VERY RARE, mostly killer tracks designed to mess with the codec)

test for yourself, and the HA wiki on vorbis is a bit out of date(unless its been udpated in the last week)

it dosnt have aotuv5.7 based encoders in it for example

My advice is honestly test for yourself for voice data q0 vorbis is plenty, for music....well low complexity music would probably sound find, but I wouldnt go below q2 even with rap/hiphop(less complex then alot of other genera's)

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=51289

thats a good place to start, its not the most scientific thread, but its about what sounds good to various people, Honestly I think you will find reading it informative and surprising, Vorbis produces artifacts, but they are not as easy to notice as WMA,MP3 Or WMA artifacts for most people, they dont tend to stick out as bad unless u take the bitrate way to low(like q0 or q-1 q-2 range)

Edit: forgot, I was gonna say you should get urself some soundmagic IEM's, far better then skull candy and quite affordable
if you need help finding/picking a set, pm me i can link you to where I order them from(few dif sites) good stuff and priced to sell

Old 08-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Administrator

I can kinda feel you on the obsessing part. I did for a while once I found that I had for years been ripping to low bitrate .wma files that sounded horrible when I upgraded my equipment. To top it off about one out of three of those were live performances I had quickly ripped then given back to the artist. Gone forever or trapped in cruddy sounding 96 kbps .wma.

Once I started learning the little I do know about digital audio the obsessing part went away. You've are doing the first part of future proofing yourself by ripping to a lossless format. Lossless is just that. Done properly with a good ripper the information extracted is exactly what was on the disc. You can always use that exact information to transcode to transparency in a lossy format.

ABX testing is another part that helps with the obsession. It let's you determine very accurately exactly what you can and can't hear with your current equipment. It's vitually impossible that you can truly hear a difference between a low to mid bitrate file and the original CD with a pair of SkullCandies or the stockbuds. If you establish that firmly with ABX testing you can relax a bit. After all why clog up your player with a bunch of useless bytes you can't hear anyway?

The last thing I did to help myself relax was save up and buy better headphones. When you do an ABX test with those better 'phones and can truly hear a difference you should really start to relax. You'll know then that it's time to up the bitrate on your portable files. You'll also know that past a certain point there's just nothing else you're going to hear.

Once again the whole point of ABX testing is so that you can disregard the opinions of others and determine for yourself what's best for your equipment. Hearing tests and Wikis are just ballpark figures. They aren't there with your equipment and your ears. Once you determine for yourself what is right for you you'll become confident and relaxed enough to ignore the ballpark figures and go with what you've established is best for you.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:08 PM

Now I'm obsessing until I find something that will work for me.

I installed Foobar 2000 and I cannot rip them (it's mp3) because it asks me to find the lame.exe (I tried wit ogg, but it did the same thing).

What is this and what can I do?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Administrator

You need the encoder packages from RareWares. Download and unzip the Lame 3.98.4 and the Oggenc2.85using AoTuVb5.7 bundles. When Fooby asks for them point it at them.
Be sure to put them somewhere you won't need to move them or it will ask for them again when you want to do conversions in the future.

I wouldn't mess with the default settings as a start. foobar2000 is put together by folks who really know their stuff and should give you very good results as is.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Banned

I do recommend you try dbpoweramp if you want something that IMHO is a bit easier to use.

The current beta can support up to 16cpus (or more, may be more now..hehe)

Old 08-11-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You need the encoder packages from RareWares. Download and unzip the Lame 3.98.4 and the Oggenc2.85using AoTuVb5.7 bundles. When Fooby asks for them point it at them.
Be sure to put them somewhere you won't need to move them or it will ask for them again when you want to do conversions in the future.

I wouldn't mess with the default settings as a start. foobar2000 is put together by folks who really know their stuff and should give you very good results as is.
First off, thank you. This worked. I am now completely gapless. I didn't know what I was missing. I can now listen to all my Pink Floyd (and live albums) without interruptions!

Second, I wasn't messing with the settings. I was just trying to rip a CD.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Glad it's working for you. Sadly my only current copy of DSOTM is some jacked up SACD "remaster" with wildly varying volume levels. Even Replaygained it's still enough to be distracting. No worry, I'll learn how to fix it...someday. BTW it's not just albums like DSOTM and live albums that play without a gap. With a decent desktop player like foobar2000 or XMPlay everything plays with no gaps.

What I meant by not messing with the settings is that out the box the default Converter settings will probably give you very nice rips. When you've done a little listening and testing you will naturally adjust the rip settings to what suits you. Or not.

After some ABX testing I found the default settings for .mp3 and ogg vorbis were actually a bit high for what I need for on the go. Lowering the settings some lets me put quite a few more tunes on my player without missing out on quality. YMMV.