android
Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggyCuppy View Post
What they should do, is sell larger cards, even if they "break spec" that work with the clip+/fuze/fuze+, the limit of 32gb is artificial after all, no reason they couldnt sell you cards that are larger that are targeted at current devices(they should even work with other devices)
It still isn't clear to me if theres going to be backwards compatible SDXC cards or not. The spec sort of implies that its possible, but I don't really understand it. It seems like it should be though, since like you said SDHC already technically allows larger cards.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-18-2010, 10:11 PM

i think this is an interesting product. I have the Fuze and love it, I would be interested to see what they do with user interface, as much as i love the audio quality of my fuze and not trade it for anything, it's UI does feel rather dated.
So anything is an upgrade.

It adds AAC which the current fuze lacks
it does add battery life, the current doesn't bother me, I get plenty.

As far as the complaint as to why not 32GB. Why? Do you really think a large majority of people are going to shell out close to $300 for it? Especially when it has expandable memory? SanDisk knows it's place in this industry, it'll keep its cost low, audio quality solid and add just enough features to keep it looking half way decent. It true meat and potatoes is it's audio quality and price factor.

another thing I think people are not factoring in is, the increasing number of smartphones being more and more common now adays is taking it's toll on stand alone PMP's. outside the small clip or shuffles for exercise.

So i understand why SanDisk wouldn't go all out bonkers going after a market that they would have difficult competing in and is basically a dying market.

Keep the UI and features good enough, expandable memory, keep their great audio quality and keep the price beyond comepetive. That's SanDisk

Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow, late to this thread.

I went from "Cool!" to "Huh, kinda underwhelming..." in the span of 1 minute.

Probs for me, same as others have identified here already:
- only 16GB main mem...what the hell Sandisk??

- "up to 24 hours audio" - naturally, I assume this is with 128kbps mp3. Again, what the hell, Sandisk? I already get 21-22 hours on Fuze v2 OF playing HQ LAMEs. So, I can expect what? 15 hours using the same files?

- OLED screen, great. Increase the size of the screen, great. Reduce battery life? FAIL [see above].

- no tactile buttons? Probably fail for me but willing to try before I pass judgement on this.

Overall, meh...

Most important question of all: Saratoga, can we hope for RB on this puppy? :-D
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
i think this is an interesting product. I have the Fuze and love it, I would be interested to see what they do with user interface, as much as i love the audio quality of my fuze and not trade it for anything, it's UI does feel rather dated.
So anything is an upgrade.

It adds AAC which the current fuze lacks
it does add battery life, the current doesn't bother me, I get plenty.

As far as the complaint as to why not 32GB. Why? Do you really think a large majority of people are going to shell out close to $300 for it? Especially when it has expandable memory? SanDisk knows it's place in this industry, it'll keep its cost low, audio quality solid and add just enough features to keep it looking half way decent. It true meat and potatoes is it's audio quality and price factor....SNIPPED...

You make a valid point boswd re: the native memory size. However, I would seriously consider shelling out 150USD or so for a 32GB device, which I feel is highly feasible for Sandisk for obvious manufacturing reasons. I think many others would as well.

But must disagree with the claimed battery life of "up to 24 hours" for audio being adequate. In my experience, this translates to 15-17 hours real world usage using decent quality audio files [no 128kbps lame junk for me].

This is weak IMO. As someone else pointed out, they increased the screen size so dimensionally, this new Fuze+ must be a bit bigger. And am I incorrect in understanding that OLED screens are more efficient energy-wise?
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
You make a valid point boswd re: the native memory size. However, I would seriously consider shelling out 150USD or so for a 32GB device, which I feel is highly feasible for Sandisk for obvious manufacturing reasons. I think many others would as well.

But must disagree with the claimed battery life of "up to 24 hours" for audio being adequate. In my experience, this translates to 15-17 hours real world usage using decent quality audio files [no 128kbps lame junk for me].

This is weak IMO. As someone else pointed out, they increased the screen size so dimensionally, this new Fuze+ must be a bit bigger. And am I incorrect in understanding that OLED screens are more efficient energy-wise?
I hear what you are saying in terms of battery life, I guess I'm used to charging my laptop every 3 hrs, my phone every night that what I get out of my fuze seems like a lifetime.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I can live with 15-17 hours battery life. I don't think that's too bad. I can charge my player every other day, no biggie. I charge my Clip+ every day when I take it to work and listen to it all day long.

Amp: PA2V2, Fiio E3, FiiO E7, FiiO E5, FiiO E11, FiiO E6, FiiO E10

Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Same as it always was.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Viking View Post
I can live with 15-17 hours battery life. I don't think that's too bad. I can charge my player every other day, no biggie. I charge my Clip+ every day when I take it to work and listen to it all day long.
Actually, I agree too.

TBH, I was laboring under a misconception when I wrote that. I thought that the current v2 Fuze battery life was claimed to be 30 hours, which made sense to me as I use only HQ LAME and EQ and I got around 23 hours in a battery bench test.

I did not know that the current v2 Fuze also advertises 24 hour battery life, same as this new Fuze+.

This means that, for some reason, at least from my experience, Sandisk claimed battery life is much more accurate than the usual claims from other manufacturers [e.g. Sony E345, claimed battery life 30 hours, actual for me is like 21-23].
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Actually, I agree too.
I did not know that the current v2 Fuze also advertises 24 hour battery life, same as this new Fuze+.

This means that, for some reason, at least from my experience, Sandisk claimed battery life is much more accurate than the usual claims from other manufacturers [e.g. Sony E345, claimed battery life 30 hours, actual for me is like 21-23].
Its because the 24 hours was originally quoted for the V1 Fuze. Then the V2 came out with a somewhat better battery life, but they didn't change the specs or packaging, so it kept the 24 hours even though they improved it.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:18 PM

TBH, I'm pretty excited this new Fuze+ is coming out. Perhaps I'll make some room at home for it, lol.

EDIT: I wonder what the price will be. Any guesses?

$100 for the 8GB, and $125 for the 16GB?

Last edited by Ultimate Viking; 08-18-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"$100 for the 8GB, and $125 for the 16GB? "

I am wondering why they decided to make a 4 GB version. If it were up to me, I would have skipped the 4 GB and made a 32 GB model. Imo $100 for 8 GB and $120 for 16 GB would seem like reasonable list prices. How much they will be discounted from the list prices is the question. I guess initially not much at all.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Its because the 24 hours was originally quoted for the V1 Fuze. Then the V2 came out with a somewhat better battery life, but they didn't change the specs or packaging, so it kept the 24 hours even though they improved it.
Thanks for confirming I am not crazy saratoga
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
"$100 for the 8GB, and $125 for the 16GB? "

I am wondering why they decided to make a 4 GB version. If it were up to me, I would have skipped the 4 GB and made a 32 GB model. Imo $100 for 8 GB and $120 for 16 GB would seem like reasonable list prices. How much they will be discounted from the list prices is the question. I guess initially not much at all.
Some people think they get a better value by getting the smaller capacity unit and buying cards instead. I would want the most memory possible, myself.....unless the 32GB cards suddenly drop to $50

Old 08-19-2010, 12:29 AM

The Fuze+ made the Chinese site iMP3: http://translate.googleusercontent.c...s0DMcnr5jcIFUw

Says the same thing, just surprised to see it there.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Viking View Post
The Fuze+ made the Chinese site iMP3: http://translate.googleusercontent.c...s0DMcnr5jcIFUw

Says the same thing, just surprised to see it there.
Love the translation....
Quote:
Sansa Fuze + will be available 4GB, 8GB and 16GB capacity of three, while the fuselage is also equipped with a Micro SD card slot,

Old 08-19-2010, 12:39 AM

Yeah, I know, lol. Believe me, I have made many guides on how to fix MP4 players by translating Chinese documents.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Some people think they get a better value by getting the smaller capacity unit and buying cards instead. I would want the most memory possible, myself...
X2. The more, the better!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

the screen size is the same as the View, i wonder if the player will be larger also?

Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
X2. The more, the better!
I should have 32GB on one player sometime next week...that will be the most I've ever had......can't wait!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

As far as the complaint as to why not 32GB. Why? Do you really think a large majority of people are going to shell out close to $300 for it? Especially when it has expandable memory? SanDisk knows it's place in this industry, it'll keep its cost low, audio quality solid and add just enough features to keep it looking half way decent. It true meat and potatoes is it's audio quality and price factor.
that would have been an argument for sandisk, some 2 years ago, not today.
these days, flash memory is getting cheaper by the minute (and btw, $300 is a crass exaggeration) you could have a 32 gb player for around $150, you could have. the reason why you can't, it's market or better the manufacturer's thinking nobody really needs that much capacity. that's why the ipod classic was/is so popular. apple does listen to its customers, because they are after the money way more than their competitors ().

what i mean is, i really do think that it's not a question of cost, doubling the capacity to 32 gb would not exceed the $30 mark, it's just sandisk's and most of the other manufacturers policies.