android
Old 08-19-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Please excuse my language, but what the hell is wrong with Engadget? Seriously, "slot radio support" in the headline? How much did Sandisk pay them for that advertisement of a more-than-dead platform?

Also, 16GB maximum, still? (Read my first sentence again for my sentiments on that matter, replace Engadget with Sandisk.) Same goes for the almost acceptable battery life, that's still half of what other manufacturers offer. OLED sounds nice, though.
I'm pretty sure they just listed the least impressive features. Read the article, the tone is pretty sarcastic (towards the end). I think they're equally unimpressed with it as we are!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-19-2010, 04:10 AM

do you guys think this would be any better then the Cowon Iaudio 9 by any chance?
I've been thinking about the i9 for awhile but now seeing that a fuze+ might come out iuno if the waits worth it =O.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 AM

I feel a bit relieved as it seems that SanDisk finally is doing the right thing with the View. The official forums have been changed and now only the Fuze and Clip/Clip+ have their own sub forums while all the other players share the same sub forum.
This new Fuze has got some things that the View had but the Fuze has lacked, i.e. a 2.4 screen good for watching video and okay video codec support (and 30fps!).
The battery life is a bit worse than the View when it was new and I do not understand why 16GB is the largest capacity.

The conclusion I draw is that SanDisk finally will pull the View out of its limbo to bury it , and the Fuze+ which is a combination of the Fuze and the View will replace them both. This will mean that besides the Slot Radio players, there will only be two models of Sansa players (unless they keep producing the Fuze as well as the Clip+ and Fuze+).

It is nice to see SanDisk actually doing something about their line of MP3 players. They have always released more budget style players, and I see this as a continuation of that. So I am not underwhelmed, even if the design might seem 2 or 3 years old. When my View dies this looks like a great replacement.
DAP collection:Cowon S9; Cowon X5V; Creative Zen Vision M; Creative Zen Touch; iRiver H120; JVC XA-HD500; Kenwood HD20GA7; Rio Carbon; Rio Karma; Samsung YH-J70; Sansa Clip+; Sansa View; Sony HD5; Toshiba Gigabeat F20
Earphones:too many to mention...

Last edited by Danneq; 08-19-2010 at 05:06 AM.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Please excuse my language, but what the hell is wrong with Engadget? Seriously, "slot radio support" in the headline? How much did Sandisk pay them for that advertisement of a more-than-dead platform?

Also, 16GB maximum, still? (Read my first sentence again for my sentiments on that matter, replace Engadget with Sandisk.) Same goes for the almost acceptable battery life, that's still half of what other manufacturers offer. OLED sounds nice, though.
my sentiments exactly ^^.. no amount of arguments on behalf of Sandisk will change my opinion that they screwed this up for every1 waiting to get the next best DAP from SanDisk.. as a lot of ppl have already mentioned, the least they could have included was a 32 GB model w/at least 30 hrs of battery life

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Old 08-19-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
... I am wondering why they decided to make a 4 GB version. If it were up to me, I would have skipped the 4 GB and made a 32 GB model. ...
Agreed, I would have also made a 64GB model. Although it appears from this thread that not many abi'ers lean that way, I think one would be surprised how many people actually want that size and more.

Edit: Again, I don’t see why a company that boasts development of this can not incorporate it into one of their players at a better cost to the consumer than any other competitor.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 08-19-2010 at 07:43 AM.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I also don't like the fact that they refuse to make a player with full sized SDXC card support. Not everyone wants the smallest player possible. Imo most people would be happy with the size of a player as long as it fits comfortably in a typical shirt pocket. Skimping on battery life and storage capacity just to make it a even smaller seems like a bad idea. While there will always be demand for a tiny player like a Clip+, many who own a Clip+ also own a larger player with much more capacity and much longer battery life.
Imo players around the size of the Fuze should have at least 50 hours of battery life, and those around the size of the Clip+ at least 25 hours of battery life.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:06 AM

umm guys, the fuze is advertised already with having a 24 hour battery life so if some of u are pumping out HQ tunes and still get 21 hours out of the player, than this one might do the same, plus doesn't an OLED screen mean lesser battery usage? but the screen is gonna be hard to see in direct sunlight..

Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"plus doesn't an OLED screen mean lesser battery usage?"

Yes, but the screen is a bit larger. It also wouldn't even surprise me if the battery in the Fuze+ is lower capacity than the Fuze battery. Notice that the Clip+ battery is 290 mah, while the Clip battery is 330 mah.

Why won't Sandisk make a player with decent(50+ hour) battery life???? Why won't they make new models with a display that use a standard, inexpensive easily swappable battery? Why won't they make any players with a full sized SDXC card slot?

Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

64gb is a mainstay for DAP's now IMO. The last player I've bought recently is my J3 - it maxes at 64gb (32gb int - 32 ext). I got it because of the great SQ and features it has, I settled on the capacity issue, I won't do that again. I'll get the Cowon X7 before I even consider this - and even w/a capacity boost, the battery life will still suck.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you have a small music collection like mine, then longer battery life is much more important than capacity upgrade, especially since it has the expansion slot.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 08-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
If you have a small music collection like mine, then longer battery life is much more important than capacity upgrade, especially since it has the expansion slot.
Your collection will grow my friend, then you'll see the light. But BOTH are important to me, since I don't want to have the NEED to swap tunes all the time, or charge it frequently.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah it will grow when I don't have something better to spend my money on, and when I can actually think of something to add to my collection lol. And I can see how it can be inconvenient to keep swapping out tunes.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 08-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Why won't they make any players with a full sized SDXC card slot?
Maybe this is why.... A SanDisk 64GB card, on Amazon.com is over $200....for a class 4. A Kingston model is class 10, but almost $340. This stuff is outside SanDisk's target market, I think.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"Maybe this is why.... A SanDisk 64GB card, on Amazon.com is over $200....for a class 4. A Kingston model is class 10, but almost $340. This stuff is outside SanDisk's target market, I think. "For the moment, however prices will drop drastically once SDXC cards become mainstream. I guess video cameras will be the first devices with SDXC support, then pro still cameras. Notice the 32 GB micro SDHC cards for example dropped in price from $200 to $129 in a few months, but they are still much too expensive. When they get to around $60 or so they may be very popular. I guess Sandisk is for now trying to delay widespread acceptance of SDXC cards by keeping prices so high. I guess they fear that 32 GB SDHC card prices will suffer too much once many items can use affordably priced SDXC cards.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:28 PM

huh? is multi quote (or whatever the name) broken? anyway,
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Your collection will grow my friend, then you'll see the light. But BOTH are important to me, since I don't want to have the NEED to swap tunes all the time, or charge it frequently.
my sentiment exactly. We have the technology to reb... i mean we have both, flash memory technology for a affordable price and we also have lithium -ion,-polymer and whatnot battery technology for even better price. upgrading the capacity of a small battery that of a clip may be a bit more pricey but the fuze form factor allows for a bigger battery and thus more capacity. flash memory is also available. ms (zune hd) let's customers pay royally for the 32 to 64 "upgrade" (plus 55%), apple "seams" to be a lesser demon with about 30% more ( based on current amazon.com prices). and this comparison only shows that it's not really about the technology that has to be paid for, it's the guys that say, now what can we charge till it hurts too bad. but, the guys at sandisk on the other hand are nothing but a pussies. they don't have the guts to contest the ipod because they think they couldn't win the war they started some time ago and are too afraid of starting another.

edit: multi quote... where have you gone.... @eggycuppy replaceable battery... if wishes were unicorns...

http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/02/tech...ion=2009060305

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/22/s...idont-to-ipod/

Last edited by deadohiosky; 08-19-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

If you want huge sizes and great battery life, you probably should look at Cowon. Thats their niche.

Sandisk has always been more about appealing to people who want a basic low cost player then enthusiasts. IMO they'll do "free" stuff like add FLAC and RG, but as soon as theres a real trade off they're always going to side with mainstream buyers over people like us who want big capacity and long battery life even if it costs a few bucks more and a few mm thicker player.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
"$100 for the 8GB, and $125 for the 16GB? "

I am wondering why they decided to make a 4 GB version. If it were up to me, I would have skipped the 4 GB and made a 32 GB model. Imo $100 for 8 GB and $120 for 16 GB would seem like reasonable list prices. How much they will be discounted from the list prices is the question. I guess initially not much at all.
The thing is not everyone wants or needs a player with more GB

My friend has a 4GB Clip+ and that is more than enough space for him

not everyone has a huge music library

I have close to 100GB of music but i do not want to carry it all around with me

Old 08-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I want capacity, battery life, tactile controls, and great SQ - this DAP will only have 1 of the 4,.......................

Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 PM

You all secretly really, really want this player, don't ya's, lol.

Amp: PA2V2, Fiio E3, FiiO E7, FiiO E5, FiiO E11, FiiO E6, FiiO E10

Old 08-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sadly, not really.