android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 11-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
...My guess is that this may be a Windows fault though, and Windows is inserting or changing a tiny systems file on the the player...
I'm not 100% convinced on this - I've had it happen on Debian too, and I'd be surprised if a standard Debian/GNOME configuration wrote things to USB devices silently in the background.

My guess is that a lot of the time it's Windows, and at least some of the time it's the Clip itself.

-EDIT- although, thinking about it, it could be Nautilus (the file manager) being naughty and adding 'trash' directories or something...

Last edited by Confuseling; 11-28-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Desktop.ini files for example drive me crazy. I wonder if Windows whimsically changes these at times. I think these may have caused some of my file backups to fail in the past. There may be other system files ot other things Windows changes whimsically that leads to great frustration.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:46 AM

Naughty Nautiluses and whimsical Windows; oh my!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
I asked this in another thread... I can see how getting rid of unneeded tags and fields could speed up scanning of the files. But which fields exactly do you want to leave? Can the Fuze use sorting fields such as ARTISTSORT? Can it use ALBUMARTIST? What's the best way to tag compilation albums?
I'm doing a bunch of tags right now and this is how i do all of my music, removing all the tags that are not needed. Tagging only the needed fields should speed the reading of all your files on any device or software.

Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 11-28-2010, 04:43 PM

Thanks.

Does the native software do ReplayGain?

What about covers? Should they be limited in size? My Mp3 library is created by transcoding my Flac library. Lately I've been saving higher quality covers at 500x500, up to about 160 kB in size. Will that slow things or pose any other problems? I could pretty easily resize covers for the transcoded Mp3 library.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
With true compilations, such as soundtracks, I use "Various" for the album artist while artist contains the actual artist for that song. I organize the songs on my hard drive by album artist and then by album, so it puts all of the compilations together in a "Various" folder. This is a simple way that works for me.
Is the software smart enough to suppress 'track' artists from the artist list? That is, artists that don't have their own full CD and might only have a single track on some compilation. That's the biggest benefit of any library software that recognizes compilations.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Is the software smart enough to suppress 'track' artists from the artist list? That is, artists that don't have their own full CD and might only have a single track on some compilation. That's the biggest benefit of any library software that recognizes compilations.
If I understand what you are saying, it should be possible via autoplaylists. One way to do it is to set the album artist as the artist's name. Since my method has compilations set as "Various" they won't appear in the playlist, only the tracks with the artist as the album artist will appear.

This can also be done in MediaMonkey via the track browser. Set one of the three fields to "Album Artist," select the appropriate album artist, and the ones in compilations will be excluded.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 11-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Default aaaaaargh

I have about 2000 songs on Fuze 8gb and 2000 on microdisk. It takes a good 30 minutes to do refresh. I've tried some suggestions from here like deleting ID1 tags to no avail. I also installed Rockbox but it hung 3 times on various functions so I took that off. I'm afraid that the non changeable battery will go soon (only 1 year old) as I use it and refresh it a lot. Right now it goes to about 89% charge. I want to love the Fuze but it's not ready.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You got 2000 on the internal memory? Damn.....I barely have more than that on my 16GB card. As far as the Fuze not being ready, it's as ready as it will ever be....and most of us have no issues with Rockbox on it, either.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torylee1 View Post
I have about 2000 songs on Fuze 8gb and 2000 on microdisk. It takes a good 30 minutes to do refresh. I've tried some suggestions from here like deleting ID1 tags to no avail. I also installed Rockbox but it hung 3 times on various functions so I took that off. I'm afraid that the non changeable battery will go soon (only 1 year old) as I use it and refresh it a lot. Right now it goes to about 89% charge. I want to love the Fuze but it's not ready.
Have you tried backing up your music, then formatting the player with the SDformater, then adding all your music to mp3tag and removing the comments/composer/other useless tags you don't want. Then adding the music back onto your player.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:40 AM

anything new on this? or is this 1/2 hour refresh just "the way it is"?

Old 12-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idivorceyou View Post
Formatting seems to be the only option here.

I had an issue like this with my old Sansa e280, and after formatting the player and putting everything on again, the refreshing speed increased drastically.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Sorry if your read this already, but...

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...6&postcount=28
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 12-04-2010, 02:57 PM

I am just resigned to the long refresh rate. I cant figure out why Im not using my sansa E280 more.... someone remind of the Fuze advantage over that player?

Old 12-04-2010, 03:12 PM

There is no reason for anyone here to try and convince you why you should use the fuze over the e280. You have both players and should be able to make your own decision..

Have you done EVERYTHING that was suggested in this thread to try and fix the problem? If so return the player for another and see if it's the player that is the problem.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 AM

I wont be returning the player, but if Rockbox does not eventually fix the refresh, I will just sell it. The Fuze is definitely cooler looking than the E280, it is thin and light. I exclusively use both to play music, the screen orientation or size or slight cosmetic and weight differences are not that important to me. I bought the Fuze, it isn't meeting expectations, and many others are having the same lengthy refresh problem.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The solutions are out there, if people choose to use them.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:53 AM

I have wasted far too much time solving a problem that ultimately cannot be solved to my satisfaction. I will not break up my 1600 song party directory into 80 annoying smaller directories, reformat my drives and restore everything. Oh that's right, I did all that and it did nothing but cost me a lot of time. Is my Fuze a dud? dont think so. its just the original firmware screaming at me.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I have wasted far too much time solving a problem that ultimately cannot be solved to my satisfaction. I will not break up my 1600 song party directory into 80 annoying smaller directories, reformat my drives and restore everything. Oh that's right, I did all that and it did nothing but cost me a lot of time. Is my Fuze a dud? dont think so. its just the original firmware screaming at me.
I didn't realize that you had actually done all that. If the smaller directories really didn't make a difference, I'm not sure what else there is to do.

My V1 Fuze when I had it full with a full 16GB card was just over three minutes, and my V2 is now also just over three minutes, with 2,898 songs on it.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:09 AM

I want your Fuze!

I am doing an experiment - moving the more properly orgainzed by directory music to the flash memory, moving the party directory to the micro sd card, after reformatting everything.

aside from telling the sansa to reformat, using its own internal function, can I / should I use the "SD Formatter" program on the flash as well? Yeah, doing the whole thing over again, but refusing to split up the party directory.

Last edited by idivorceyou; 12-06-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: deeper thoughts