android
Old 08-31-2010, 08:50 PM

Default Downloaded music not showing

Hello forum.
I've recently bought a Zen V, and have had trouble when uploading my music to it. I use WMP, and tried copying it to my Zen. It shows it on my zen in WMP, but when i look at the zen interface i can't find it. It's basically just using the zen as a storage device. Anyone know how to solve this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-31-2010, 09:02 PM

Is your music ID3 tagged? I know that WMP can do it but I don't use it, you can try mp3tag, it's free, look here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Pianoman...welcome to ABi.

I have a Zen V+, similar to your V. For years now, I have completely managed the V+ using WinXP and Winamp, with no problems whatsoever.

Winamp is IMO a far better music manager than WMP ever will be.

WG is correct - you should definitely check if your ID3 tags for your music files are correct and how you want them.

mp3tag that he links is one of the best music ID3 taggers around.

I would suggest you:
- download and install mp3tag to create/verify the tags on your music;
- download and install the free full version of Winamp; install it and it should hopefully detect your Zen V and then you will be able to easily copy songs and create playlists on the V using Winamp.

do let us know how you make out...
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-01-2010, 06:53 PM

Thx for the good advice, and for the link.. I downloaded mp3tag and used it on an album, tried copying it to my V through WMP, and it still didn't work. I don't really even get what an IP3 is. I tried looking it up, but all I can find is a bunch of technical stuff I didn't really understand. How do you check an ID3? And no music i download shows on the V, this isn't an album or anything..

Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm, not sure how else to assist you now. I do not/have never actively used WMP - I really dislike it for a multitude of reasons. Not sure, but I seem to recall that WMP might screw up the ID3 tags on music when you use it to send music to your players. Perhaps this is occurring with your situation.

In broad, non-technical terms, ID3 is essentially a way of embedding text information about a given music file [generally ID3 is used for mp3 files, the most common and widely supported music format around]. As you saw in using the mp3tag program, ID3 tags include information like Artist, Track Name, Track Number, Album Name, Title of Song and Year [these are what I [personally call the Big 6 tags and IMO are the most needed ID3 tags for most people - I detest not seeing this information on my players].

Without ID3 tags, many players will simply not be able to know what song is being played, and will generally display stuff like Unknown Artist, Unknown Track, etc. Therefore, proper and complete ID3 tags is, IMO/IME essential.

Some more questions to try and help you:
- what format are the songs you are trying to send to the V via WMP?
- have you tried installing Winamp, pointing it to where your music lives on your PC and then using Winamp to copy the music to your V?

hth,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 09-02-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:24 AM

pianoman135 more info defining ID3 tags here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-02-2010, 05:36 PM

YES! Got it. Thx for the help dudes, it turned out to be because of WMP. I tried using Winamp and now it works. And thx for the ID3 tag info, proved to be useful. (:

Old 09-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Awesome! Ain't Winamp like a juicy and delicious prime rib compared to crappy, dried out hamburger WMP? lol

You will be able to effortlessly manage your Zen V in Winamp. Playlist creation is a right click away as well as copying music to the Zen V.

Here is a bonus when using Winamp and MTP in this way: When you delete songs on the Zen V, all references to those songs in any playlists living on the V will be deleted automatically as well.

Nice, huh?

enjoy!
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies