android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Site Related > MP3 Player News

Old 11-13-2010, 10:34 AM

Default What are the best mp3 players out atm?

My meizu m6 has finally bit the dust so im looking for a new mp3player. However, i cant really decide what i want so this field is open to every kind of player, media player, internet tablet, mp3 player or ive even been considering a phone/mp3 combo but i really know nothing at all about the field.
The only thing i can say is that i have an archos 504 which i never use because its just to big and heavy to keep in my pocket, but the thing is made of steel and is over an inch thick and i think pmp and other gadgets of that ilk have come along way havent they?
Im looking forward to your suggestions, the number 1 thing im looking for here is value for money, not neccesarily cheap, but best bang for your buck like.

I do have a few ideas already but i dont want to start limiting the search already, although i am particularly curious about one so i will ask if anyone knows anything about the philips gogear connect?

Thanks alot!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-13-2010, 11:05 AM

A few thoughts: Add a budget, What do you want most out of the player (music, video, etc)?, What H'phones will you be using?

I currently use the Cowon j3. As a music and video experience it is on top thanks to bbe+ and the Amoled screen.

Ofcourse if your in a tight budget then the clip+, which I hear good things about, might be a better choice.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:24 PM

oops sorry i thought it would be best to just leave this open for all players at the top of their league, no matter what league that is, but if i need to specify id say about 100-200

edit: whats the diff between the s9 and j3? also u happy with j3, what r the stock headphones like.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

J3 has a better form factor, microSD card expansion slot, and even longer battery life. Plus, it's said to have no hiss w/highly sensitive IEM's. The J3 is great.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:17 PM

As for the stock buds, seriously no. If you are gonna splash out on a J3 stock buds will noy cut it. Mine are still in there original pakaging in a drawer gathering dust.

If you really want to appreciate the J3 you must get some h'phones that can do the job.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:32 PM

Cowon J3
Sansa Clip+

Personally I don't think you can get better than those two players if your aim is media play back.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
Cowon J3
Sansa Clip+
^^ That.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I know I have not seen the Philips Connect for sell anywhere I can buy it from.
I'm developing serious lust for the Archos 43 though.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:12 PM

Yeah the 43 looks like it might be fantastic, especially with the possibilities of apps for audio use.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Apps & video alone make me want the Archos 43 myself.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

One has to decide between "best MP3 player" (as the topic title goes) and "best Jack of All Trades" - you rarely ever can have both in one device. The Archos 43 does seem intriguing as a whole, but as an audio player it sure is on the huge side, and lacks tactile buttons for on the go.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxitwist07 View Post
The only thing i can say is that i have an archos 504 which i never use because its just to big.
This might just rule out the 43.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:20 PM

So far, these are my shortlist
Philips go gear muse (connect has wifi and android but is more than 100 more expensive so not worth it imo)
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/...6p38dei6if4l43
Cowon j3 or s9 (Although tbh i think both of these are nearly off the list because they are perfection at a premium, and i dont really need perfection, i just need good.)
Samsung p3 http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2681217...p3-player.html (this is a maybe since I hears the audio is very good and theres alot of little things to do on it, I dont really need video since id rather listen to music on the bus and sometimes i want to have something to do while listening so id love if someone could give reviws on this)
I was considering one of the archos internet tablets but the 32 only has 8gig and the 43 may be too big, plus im not sure of the audio on either and since this is going to be my primary mp3 player they may ahve to be removed too.

I have some other ideas in the more sole mp3 market but ill keep at least this post focused on one kind of player. Thank you guys for all the replys! didnt expect this much help! XD

Old 11-14-2010, 05:04 AM

have a look at the new sony eseries on play.com.. u get 16gb for a little over 100 plus add in about 30 worth of sennheiser headphones and u get a very nice combo for under 150.. although if ur gonna use it on the buses or the underground, i've heard it has volume issues due to the european restrictions.. If ur willing to spend more, have a look at the sony a-series on play.com too- big screen, awesome sony SQ and u get a good pair of HPs out of the box so no need to spend any extra on those

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Old 11-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Check out the Cowon iAudio9. Little difficult to find, but fantastic player if you're not that interested in video, and the price is right.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The i9 16GB can be found in the forum classifieds at the moment.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Archos 43 is nothing like the 504. Thinner, lighter, less wide, all make it eminently pocketable.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:42 PM

J3, I9 and clip+ are all good choices. Sound of all three are or have become standards across the web. They all meet a certain need. Clip is very small but rather powerful built in a small plastic case and is a go anywhere device. Starting at $30 you add an SD card and you have plenty of room. Cheap price means you lose no biggy. I9 is a little larger and does not get the attention it deserves Great sound BBE so you can EQ to your hearts delight. Great Battery life, very light but no sd card. J3 wonderful classic design. Slim great screen, sound and battery life and has sd slot (32). The Cowon crowd is very loyal to the J. Sony is an excellent choice also same stats as above but maybe not the classic look and feel of the J3. Do you need video? all hand helds IMO are too small for extended movies. Use your laptop for that. In fact I would rather have a camera for quick snap shots for some alien missile launch off the coast.
What ever way you go, invest in a good IEM or Cans. You will hear sounds you never hear is a certain piece. Also I’ve found that the build quality really shows in thte upper end head phones.

I guess I just added you your dilemma. Well we all have been there or will be there in a few years. Isn’t it great to live in these times.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:55 PM

If you go over to Head fi in the equipment section they have some fairly obscure companies that they claim have the superior sound quality over the ones mentioned in this thread, brands such as the HiFiMan, the Sflo2 and the Kenwood players among others. They all have some serious drawback or the other... the sflo for example has a terrible UI and the battery life is only 8 hours but is considered to have the best sound quality.

I have a tough time believing that any player would have SIGNIFICANTLY better sound quality than my J3 to be honest, but my curiosity has piqued I will admit. I doubt any of those players are better all round players than the J3.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:13 PM

[sarcasm]
Double Wolfson WM8987 DACs! If one is good, two must be awesome!

[/sarcasm] In reality no.