android
Old 09-03-2010, 12:36 PM

Default New C240 v2 on ebay

My trusty e280 died on me last week, so I went looking on eBay for a mp3 player. I found a seller on ebay selling NEW version 2 c240 players for $19. I picked up new a 16gb micro sd on ebay for $23. So, I have a new 16gb mp3 player that I plan to Rockbox as soon as its charged. Also, it looks like Rockbox just made a release for c240 v2 players so I'm happy. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here is the link to the c240 v2 player on ebay: new c240 player $18.99

This player arrived in the original unopened packaging with the latest firmware already installed.

Last edited by sansajunkie; 09-04-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansajunkie View Post
My trusty e280 died on me last week, so I want looking on eBay for a mp3 player. I found a seller on ebay selling NEW version 2 c240 players for $19. I picked up new a 16gb micro sd on ebay for $23. So, I have a new 16gb mp3 player that I plan to Rockbox as soon as its charged. Also, it looks like Rockbox just made a release for c240 v2 players so I'm happy. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here is the link to the c240 v2 player on ebay: new c240 player $18.99

This player arrived in the original unopened packaging with the latest firmware already installed.
I would have spent a few more dollars for a Clip+.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:54 PM

Well, the c200v2 is an AMS player, so it should be more or less the same as the Clip/Fuze, performance-wise. Rockbox should work perfectly on it, too: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS

Makes me wonder why it isn't more popular? But yeah, it has no clip on the back and a stick form factor, while many people seem to prefer the form factor of the Clip.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

True enough.....but the form factor of the Clip+, along with more internal memory, makes it more appealing to me. To each his own though.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I would have spent a few more dollars for a Clip+.
yeah but thats you, if sansajunkie is happy with the c240 or prefers the format thats all good isnt it?

Old 09-04-2010, 08:19 AM

The guy with the c200 series will be the one smiling when it's time to replace the battery. ;)

Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 AM

Guess I'll have to wait a little bit longer. While I'm not opposed to a manual install of Rockbox, there is no bootloader installer for Rockbox for any AMS based Sansa such as the v2 c240.

What will keep me waiting a little bit longer is these little tidbits of information found here:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS#Specific_problems

"Even though the bootloader installation and rockbox itself are tested, there's always a risk of BRICKING your device PERMANENTLY."

...and also...

"There's no known user-friendly recovery method for the AMS Sansas, those of them who can be unbricked (not all of them can) need to be opened, and they can be potentially damaged in the process."

Last edited by sansajunkie; 09-04-2010 at 09:43 AM.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:44 AM

I really preferred the c2xx form factor. I sold my c240 because rb wasn't stable on it yet. RB works great on my e2xx players but I still miss the C...

Old 09-04-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Guess I'll have to wait a little bit longer. While I'm not opposed to a manual install of Rockbox, there is no bootloader installer for Rockbox for any AMS based Sansa such as the v2 c240.
The Rockbox Utility has worked fine for installing onto my Fuze V2 players that I've tried it on -- in fact, it works BETTER than the Fuze V1 I've Rockboxed, other than for the lack of USB support (the one V1 I've RB'd crashes DOOM (with whatever free Wad I've tried, using the links found on the Rockbox site for downloading them, whereas they work fine on the two V2 Fuzes I've loaded). I've tried the "stable" 3.6 on the V1, as well as two daily builds since then (the latest last night), and Doom still crashes on the V1, whereas the "unstable" version on the two V2 Fuzes is rock-solid.

As to bricking, I've seen the same warnings, but haven't seen any reports of it actually happening, while I have seen quite a few reports of successful installation. YMMV of course, and you may be the first to own an oblonger-than-most brick, but the known statistics don't seem to lead down that path.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:

What will keep me waiting a little bit longer is these little tidbits of information found here:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS#Specific_problems

"Even though the bootloader installation and rockbox itself are tested, there's always a risk of BRICKING your device PERMANENTLY."

...and also...

"There's no known user-friendly recovery method for the AMS Sansas, those of them who can be unbricked (not all of them can) need to be opened, and they can be potentially damaged in the process."
nobody has bricked their player yet from what i have found(and i spent a couple weeks looking) out of the thousands of people who have rockboxed ams players you would think there would be reports of people actually bricking players if it was likey to happen, As i understand it, the warrning is there because early on a dev bricked his player(it happens) but no public release version has done this.

as to bootloader, thats easy, manual install is cake, but i think the rb util from the forums would do it for you...

I have rb's 8 or 9 fuzes so far(all ams) and had zero problems be it manual or rb utilitie installs.