android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen V

Old 12-21-2006, 02:02 PM

Cool XP Media Center 2005 does not recognize Creative Zen V plus

System Config:
Dell XPS 400 dual core 2.8 GHz
WMP V 10
Two evenings down the tubes. Loaded the CD driver. Plugged in the Zen. Got the pop up "new hardware found". After about 30 seconds . . .device not recognized and was prompted to load driver. I checked out device manager and could not find the player. I uninstalled, reinstalled, checked device manager again. It was listed, but with the yellow triangle and exclamation point. I loaded the driver again from device manager. Plugged the unit in and got the "new hardware found" pop-up . . .but XP is still not recognizing it.
I tried plugging it into different USB ports on the computer, but got the same thing.
The unit itself is fully charged and the other functions (ie:radio) work fine. I was on creatives site, downloaded what I thought may be necessary patches . . .still does not find it. Went through Creative's troubleshooter exercise . . still does not find it.
Here are the screen messages I get when I plug in the Zen V plus:
1. Found new Hardware Creative Zen Plus
2. Found new hardware MTP device
1 & 2 are both in the lower RH side of the screen (a pop up message from the task bar)
3. Then the found new hardware wizard opens up (keep in mind I have already installed the driver from the CD) . . "Welcome to the found new hardware wizard"
4. The graphic changes to a moving graphic of files moving from one folder to the other . . .you typical "copy paste large file operation" graphic.
5. After about 15-20 seconds, the message, "There was a problem installing this hardware" appears.
6. Then, "An error occured during the installation of the device." "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."
I uninstalled Quicktime (read that might be the issue on another thread)
Am currently installing the driver on my old Dell Celeron 450 XP home edition to see if it will read it . . .I can transfer music over my home network if it does.
Still looking for ideas though.
Thanks

Last edited by Borny; 12-21-2006 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added sequence of screen prompts

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you try loading the driver from the CD?

Old 12-21-2006, 05:07 PM

Yes, that is what I tried first. When it failed. I uninstalled and reloaded. I actually tried loading the driver 3 times from the CD.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:59 AM

Default Update . . .I keep trying

Loaded the driver on my second system. (Dell Celeron 450 MGz running XP home edition . . yes I have the most recent OS updates.

Same results (see initial post) . . .I have one dissapointed teenage daughter . . . so much for travel music over the holidays.

I can't believe I'm the only one having this problem.

Just another bit of info. I am running Macafee security center on both systems.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Just for the sake of curiousity - try shutting down McAfee on one of the systems, completely reinstall the Creative software, and try it again.

One more thing to try: Try downloading and installing WMP11. It has an updated MTP driver that might help fix your problem. When you install WMP11, be sure to download and install the latest version of Creative Media Explorer, as the original version doesn't work well with WMP11.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:41 PM

I have xp media centre edition 2005

You must install driver first and only then connect zen to computer.

if you did connect it before installed drivers you must uninstall device from device meneger when it is connected to computer.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:33 PM

It Worked!!! It Worked!!! Downloaded Wmp11 . . . Rebooted And It Recognized It Instantly. Thank You Zenchick!!

Old 12-27-2006, 09:22 PM

ZenChick rocks.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:36 AM

Talking Zen V "Not Recognize" Fix

Ok, so I bought my son a Zen V for Christmas and I installed it and it worked perfect. I used it on 2 computers with no problems. Then, due to the fact that I hadn't done it for several years, I decided to reinstall Windows XP. That is when the problem began...

I couldn't get my computer to recognize the device. Nothing I did worked.
I re-installed the Creative software several times and got nothing but frustration.

So here is what I did:
1. I updated XP with Service Pack II. Nothing.
2. I downloaded the 2 patches recommended by Creative (on their support website). Nope
3. Downloaded Windows Media Player 10. Nothing.
4. Upgraded to WMP 11. Still nothing.
5. Downloaded updated Creative software from their website.
Gave up.But, in frustration, I came back to it.

6. Reset my Zen V. Nothing. AHHHHH
7. Then I found a hint from the individual above who had unistalled the device. Here is what I did: Make sure the device is connected Go to:
Control Panels - System - Hardware (tab) - Device Manager - Select the Zen device from the list - Right click - Unistall.
I disconnected the device and reconnected it. It worked right away.

I am very happy. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Tomorrow morning when my son gets up, he will be happy too.

Craig

Old 05-25-2011, 12:04 PM

Default Thanks - years later!

I have been trying to get my Creative Zen V Plus (which I still love after all these years) to be recognized by my home PC (after being serviced post-virus); anyway, I just want to thank this forum for the easy and clearly -explained fix; I literally had it working again in under two minutes (and that was after browsing Creative's web site for help for a lot longer). Does anyone still use their Creative Zen V Plus?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome to ABi and congrats!

Prett much most Necro-threads are generally frowned upon here...except in cases like yours

ABi is awesome eh? A wealth of info to be found around here indeed. And yep, I still use my trusty 8GB Zen V+ on occasion. In fact, just 2 weeks ago and I verified it works quite nicely via MSC and Win7.

Enjoy!
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-25-2011, 12:48 PM

I have a V+ somewhere. I don't use it because it sounds pretty bad. Yay ABI tho.