android
Old 09-29-2010, 07:29 PM

Default DoodleJump alpha

Since I'm not sure if matthijs1929 is still going to port it and I now have something that I think is worthy of an alpha stage I thought I'd upload it.

Thanks to Diddykong13: All accelerometer controls are designed by Diddykong13, as taken from the game "Falling Balls".

For the rest, I coded it myself after watching some videos of the gameplay so there sure will be differences with the original game. If you can point them out I'll try to update it likewise.
Themes are not included (yet).

Any comments or advice on the randomization for new platforms and enemies would be very welcome since this isn't my strongest part.. right now it's partially dependent on the score but I'd like to make adjustments to it if you have any suggestions.

Usage:
The game is quite self-explanatory, you tilt the player and Doodle will move in that direction. You can click on the screen to shoot enemies and it'll shoot in the relative direction from Doodle to your finger.
Homebutton pauses the game and shows a menu where you can save this game and continue at a later time. Pressing homebutton again will exit the game without saving.

Suggestions (I'd like comments on these)
  • The game should be more zoomed in and have bigger images
  • Doodle should be jumping lower/higher, and the trampoline-jump should be lower/higher
  • Accelerometer is too sensitive

Version 0.8
Just a little update, Doodle now jumps a little lower, perhaps making it a little harder but it should look more natural. I addressed the idle shutdown problem, and changed the coding of the menu a bit and added the possibility to load new themes, but that's disabled for now since I still have to prepare the pics.

Version 0.81
Thank jbob182 for not being able to cheat anymore

You'll notice I took the pics from the PSP game, and although they might be copyrighted (not sure since I took it from another homebrew game) I take it Lima Sky or Apple don't really care since they can't sell this on the X-Fi2 anyway. I guess this is rather some sort of free advertising for them and wouldn't hurt their business in any way. If I'm still not allowed to use this material then let me know and I'll take it down and I'll think of some other name and pictures to use.
Attached Images
File Type: png sh1.png (30.7 KB, 565 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Doodlejump_v0.81.zip (3.08 MB, 497 views)

Last edited by Brett_val; 10-07-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-30-2010, 12:45 AM

Neat, I'll check it out when I get the time.
As for the difference of Alpha/beta. Alpha is what you usually call the unreleased version which only the developers have been testing. After it has been released to independent testing by so called "beta testers" it is considered a beta. Betas can be released to the public whereas you shouldn't release an alpha since it has not undergone proper stress-testing. (At least in the professional business, here it doesn't really matter since people know there are no warranties =P)
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
X-Fi2 App Master

This is awesome! I love this game, it's great seeing it on the X-Fi2. In response to your suggestions, I agree with you on how Doodle shouldn't be jumping as high, but it doesn't really make too much difference to me. Although I think that, if possible, the accelerometer input should be less sensitive, but before you do this get a second opinion, it might just be my personal preference! Nice work, it's most definitely appreciated.

Issues found so far:
- On the scores page, Doodle jumps and creates a white space over the scores table.
- The menu button on the scores page has been placed on the left, yet the image for the button is on the right.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:28 PM

I've never played this game before since I've never laid my hands on an iTouch, but I agree with Robs about the sensitivity being too high. Other than that, awesome coding! It runs really smooth and the animations are superb. I'm starting to envy your skill more and more =P

Old 09-30-2010, 02:13 PM

is it a zipx or somthing I can't open it

Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 PM

Seems like a regular one to me. Though you could try 7-zip or WinRAR, I use the later.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:11 PM

I just put this game into my player and it's superb! Really smooth and fun to play. Awesome work Brett_val, thanks!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:11 PM

Nice to see you appreciate it

Thanks for your information Habhome, I knew someone would notice that question . I guess I can call the next version beta then.

And Robert I had the feeling it should jump lower yeah, it'll look somewhat nicer too. And I also thought that the accelerometer was too sensitive but after a while I got used to it, but if more people find it too sensitive then I'll adjust it a bit.

I might just remove the Doodle from the highscores screen since this isn't very good looking . And the place where you can touch to go back to the menu is actually as wide as the screen with a height of 25 pixels. I just kept the pic on the right since I thought it looked nice, but it should also work if you click right on it? The pause screen is the best example where you can see this layout of 25px horizontal bands. It's an experiment to simplify the control.isTouch, I hated to simply type every coordinate of everything for every menu-screen..

Old 10-01-2010, 12:24 PM

you could ad some themes as night and evening and football, that is on the ipod to.
and yes the accelerometer is to sensitive...

Old 10-02-2010, 06:17 PM

Oh noes! I was playing setting up my new record when the game froze my player when I had 31192 points! I had to reset it to be able to use it again..

To be honest I like how sensitive the accelerometer is, I guess it just takes a bit of time to get used to. (less than 5 minutes really ^_^ )

Old 10-02-2010, 07:24 PM
X-Fi2 Development Moderator

i agree i kind of like the accel being this sensitive. One thing though if you die multiple times the game will crash like a ram over load almost

Old 10-03-2010, 04:33 AM

I got used to the accelerometer too. I played to up at just below 30000 I believe, while on an airplane in turbulence.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 AM

YES! i love this game. thank you

a couple of issues though:
1. is it possible to have the doodle sprite only be affected by the trampolines etc when they hit the object itself, rather than the platform its on?

2.the touch screen is not sensitive enough to make it worth trying to shoot. (this might just be my player,and i dont know if this can be helped anyway)

3. to be able to change the name that is set next to the highscores.

4. The ability to have different sprites? I can cook some up for you if you want.

5. Animated sprites and helicopter hats. I have no idea how to do that, so i can only provide still sprites.

6. All the stuff that Robertsaccount said about the jumping sprite covering some of the menus etc

7. Also, more itmes if possible

dont get me wrong though, this game is absolutely fantastic! very grateful.

~Mr Wunderbar

Old 10-05-2010, 11:40 AM

Wow, great!

Old 10-05-2010, 12:59 PM

I looked at the Doodle Jump which is out for Symbian, and it is more zoomed in so you see less platforms. Just a piece of info I wanted to throw out there. Also in that one the enemies seemed to move vertically in short paths. Not saying it's to be considered better, just informing about my observations.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:35 PM

Great that you all are so enthusiastic about it Also very funny/nice to see that you are much better at this game than I am, my highscore is only about 13000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYlt View Post
Oh noes! I was playing setting up my new record when the game froze my player when I had 31192 points! I had to reset it to be able to use it again..
To be honest I like how sensitive the accelerometer is, I guess it just takes a bit of time to get used to. (less than 5 minutes really ^_^ )
Could it be that the idle shutdown kicked in at that time? I tried it and it freezes at idle shutdown, so I made some changes and it now saves the game on idle shutdown, but I'm afraid it can still freeze if there are too many platforms to save.. 12 was fine but 14 was too much. But the weird thing is, even if it crashes it still saves your game, it's just that you have to reset it and wait for the disc scan to complete.

I can zoom it in some more like on Symbian (thanks Habhome for sharing that) so there are less platforms to save and it may also look better as a whole too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob182 View Post
i agree i kind of like the accel being this sensitive. One thing though if you die multiple times the game will crash like a ram over load almost
Well it doesn't really load any new stuff when you start a new game. I also have never seen it crash this way and at the moment I have no idea why.. were you playing music at the same time?
I changed some menu parts so I hope it's gone now, but if it persists let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wunderbar View Post
YES! i love this game. thank you

a couple of issues though:
1. is it possible to have the doodle sprite only be affected by the trampolines etc when they hit the object itself, rather than the platform its on?

2.the touch screen is not sensitive enough to make it worth trying to shoot. (this might just be my player,and i dont know if this can be helped anyway)

3. to be able to change the name that is set next to the highscores.

4. The ability to have different sprites? I can cook some up for you if you want.

5. Animated sprites and helicopter hats. I have no idea how to do that, so i can only provide still sprites.

6. All the stuff that Robertsaccount said about the jumping sprite covering some of the menus etc

7. Also, more itmes if possible

dont get me wrong though, this game is absolutely fantastic! very grateful.
Thanks for that

1. Hey that's a good idea, it's a minor adjustment to the code and looks much better, it may even make this game a little harder
2. Hmm well it works for me.. if you tap on the enemy it should shoot right at it.
3. I was thinking of this also, it would be nice but I'd have to make a lot of changes, so that will come later I think.
4. Well I still have the images from the PSP game, my explanation for that is in the first post. I'd rather have this app completely "home-made", but there are 20 pics for each theme, that's really a lot to create yourself and I'm not very good graphically.. If you want to give it a try that would be great, but I think it's really a lot of work.
5. Isn't the helicopter already animated? it's poorly done but it should move when it's on Doodle's head. It would be nice if the enemies move a little more, I'll try to add that later.
7. Well for now I can only work with the items I got, there now 6 enemies, 7 if you include the back hole. Or are you talking about bazookas and M16s or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
I looked at the Doodle Jump which is out for Symbian, and it is more zoomed in so you see less platforms. Just a piece of info I wanted to throw out there. Also in that one the enemies seemed to move vertically in short paths. Not saying it's to be considered better, just informing about my observations.
It would be indeed cool if some enemies would move, I'll try to add that. And about the size of the game, I just guessed how it would look alright.. Like I said above it would have benefits, I'll think about it. And if there are any custom pics coming they could be bigger as well, and we can change the name to make it all custom. What do you think about Elephant Jump

Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 PM

I have been trying to find any ways to "cheat" your game while it was in beta stages so you could fix it before your final and i found a really cheap cheat

1. if you start to fall ie: you are at 13000 and you fall press home and save and quit and reload it and you will be back at 13000. A simple way to fix this is to just add an if statement ie:if falling then alowwsave=false else alowwsave=true

Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 PM

Wow that's very clever I kinda knew it was possible, just didn't think it mattered.. but now it does .
And I also didn't know a quick way to get around this, but thanks for the suggestion, I added a similar if-statement to the actions table, that should take care of it

Old 10-07-2010, 09:12 PM

one other thing i think you might need to add some kind of "filter" for platforms. One time when i was playing all the platforms were breakable that i could jump too. You might be able to add something where it checks how heigh the guy can jump and his non-jump y and that there must be one non breackable platform in that area

Last edited by jbob182; 10-07-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:21 PM

I also thought, if you wanted to add some complication, you could make freeplay mode (what it is right now), and also "missions". Some examples could be: Jump on only blue (or green) platforms, Hit all trampolines (or all helicopter hats), break all gray platforms, shoot every monster. It would just add some extra challenge.
Great game, by the way.