android
Old 10-01-2010, 07:15 PM

Default NWZ-S545 Video File Structure

I just got this player and I am really happy with it except for one issue.

I want to be able to create a folder structure below the VIDEO folder for organization purposes.

For example: I would create Sub-folders like "VIDEO/TV/Chappelles Show/Season 1"
When I attempt this (with windows) everything works perfectly until I turn on the device.
All of the videos from all the different folders are all compiled together and placed simply under the "VIDEO" category.

With 16GB of storage it seems odd that this wouldn't be possible and after I have added 20 videos it just becomes a cluttered mess.

If anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-02-2010, 11:47 PM

Your player gives you folders for you to organize your files as you want but one list to find them all more easily with an unique menu. It's not a bug it's a feature.

Even when I try to put a video inside the MUSIC folder tree on my Walkman I can't use the folder browsing to find it. I'm sorry.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Tarheel, I do not believe this will work on the Sonys, at least not E345 [so prolly for the nearly identical S545]. All music must go under the root MUSIC folder. Videos as well, I believe. I am with meetooman - this is indeed probably a feature of the device on purpose. The Sony are by their nature really MTP devices, though it is possible to enable MSC type drag/drop as you have on Win machines. But there is no folder browsing on the Sonys as there are on true MSC-type players so no way for you to navigate thru any kind of folder hierarchy on the device. EDIT: I am partially wrong here as Marvin has informed me. There is indeed an option to browse folders under the Sony S/E series. However, as I use MTP only to manage my Sony E, I never create these manually myself. The folders are created automatically by either Winamp or the Sony E when I copy over songs to the device, using my ID3 tag Album info. You need to try this yourself with music files. Still, clearly, it seems that a user created folder structure in Windows Explorer does not work for VIDEOS.

Though you could always chat/call Sony tech support to confirm - should be free...
Do let us know if u reach out to them and what they say.

cheers,
-lestatar

PS: a suggestion for you...
Try renaming your video files in an orderly, logical fashion that makes the most sense for you. This could work I think.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 10-03-2010 at 02:14 AM.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the responses, I guess I am out of luck.

I did contact Sony support and they confirmed there is no way to file videos separately within the player menu.

I was looking at this thing being more of a media player and less as a mp3 player.
A standard length movie is about 400mb on this player, so about 250mb per hour of video.
At 16gb it would be quite easy to have a list of 40-50 videos (in addition to my music) with no way of organizing them. I will just have to scroll and search until I landed on the video I am looking for.

If there was a similar "feature" in the video category as the music category then it would alleviate the mess, but there is not.

The lack of threads on this topic leads me to believe that my wants for this player are quite unique, and therefore I will never see a firmware update that will address this problem.

Maybe I will have to go back to storing and watching videos on my PSP?
(Which FYI can have a folder structure in the video category)

Old 10-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Tarheel, thanks for the official Sony info.

However, have you tried my filenaming suggestion?

e.g.
South Park - 001 - Blah Blah Episode.wmv
South Park - 002 - Blah Blah Episode.wmv
The Munsters - 001 - Blah Blah Episode.wmv

and so on?

Maybe work?
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies