android
Old 10-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Default Want to make sure I setup my Clip+ correctly

Hey what's up guys

I just got my Clip+ on the mail along with two 16gb sandisk micro sdhc cards. I've decided to rockbox my Clip+ and I just have a couple of questions for you all.

1) It is my understanding that you can only manually install the rockbox on the Clip+ right? Automated will not work am I correct?

2) When I add music to my micro sd cards should I

a) add it to the sd card individually

b) add the music to the sd card while it is inside the Clip+

That's about it, thanks again guys

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Administrator

The Rockbox Installer has been updated to work with all models of the Clip. Just download the version that's right for your OS and have at it.

Be sure to load the files in MSC mode. You can do it the way that's most convenient for you. My computer doesn't have a card reader that will handle SDHC cards so I load them while the card is in the player. If the files transfer quicker for you while the cards outside the player do it that way. Rockbox doesn't care, it finds all the files as long as they're on the player.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:49 PM

Alternatively, just set the Clip to msc mode, grab the bootloader from the beginning of this thread;

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53702

Unzip it to the root of the Clip. Then grab a build (either straight Rockbox, from the link in the same post, or dfkt's (or indeed one of the others that are floating around...) which you can normally find somewhere near the end of the thread), and unzip that to the same place, and you're away.

Personal preference, really. I see that as easier, many would prefer the other way - probably just depends how your brain's wired.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post
Alternatively, just set the Clip to msc mode, grab the bootloader from the beginning of this thread;

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53702

Unzip it to the root of the Clip. Then grab a build (either straight Rockbox, from the link in the same post, or dfkt's which you can normally find somewhere near the end of the thread), and unzip that to the same place, and you're away.

Personal preference, really. I see that as easier, many would prefer the other way - probably just depends how your brain's wired.
It certainly does work well and that's one of the ways I've done it. Like you say it's your mindset. However there are quite a few people that have read the older threads before the Rockbox Utility was updated. I think it's a good idea to publicize that an automated install is available now.

Plus there's been a few folks that have wanted to uninstall and had problems figuring how to do that. The Rockbox Utility creates a log file that makes automated uninstallation possible.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 PM

Also, is there any bloatware that comes with the Clip+ that I should get rid off before adding music? I just want to have it clean as a whistle before I start adding anything to it.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator

I always run the SDFormatter on it first. When I do that I just accept the program's defaults and let it roll. That wipes out anything that might be on there and brings the internal card to industry standards. I do that for any external card I will be using also.

Some have made claims of increased performance and reliability doing that. I've never seen a difference myself but it does make sure everything is in order for the new installation.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I always run the SDFormatter on it first. When I do that I just accept the program's defaults and let it roll. That wipes out anything that might be on there and brings the internal card to industry standards. I do that for any external card I will be using also.

Some have made claims of increased performance and reliability doing that. I've never seen a difference myself but it does make sure everything is in order for the new installation.
I've never scientifically measured it, but it seemed that it loaded slightly faster...but that may well have been all in my head.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Administrator

That's just me being careful about making claims I can't prove. If I didn't think it worked better I wouldn't take the time to do it. It does definitely seem quicker and I have very few crashes now.

Of course that could just be part of the improvements in Rockbox code. Considering how hard they work to improve it that wouldn't be an unreasonable explanation.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxpower18 View Post
Also, is there any bloatware that comes with the Clip+ that I should get rid off before adding music? I just want to have it clean as a whistle before I start adding anything to it.
If you like, you can reformat the player under its Settings. The player comes with 5, I believe, songs preloaded (loaded under MTP mode, and so your computer won't see them if connected under MSC mode).

Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 PM

Quick question, how do I update the database when I switch SD cards?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxpower18 View Post
Quick question, how do I update the database when I switch SD cards?
You can initiate it manually by selecting "initialize database", or you can set it to automatically do it by enabling "Auto update".