android
Old 10-23-2010, 04:31 PM

Default ZVM 30GB mp3 loading problem.

Hi All,

I have a 30GB Zen Vision M that I connect to a PC running Windows Vista (64 bit). The player has been used very little and is in good shape. However, lately I've had a problem when uploading songs to the player.

I'm using Mediasource 3.30.35. and a few weeks ago was transferring a bunch of mp3s from my PC and one of the files got "stuck" at about 28% transferred. I cancelled the transfer and then the software got frozen and I had to do CTRL-ALT-DELETE to close it down. I also had to reboot the player as it was frozen on the "transfer" screen. I reconnected it and tried to transfer again but the software froze as soon as the transfer started and I had to reboot the player again.
I then went into Windows Explorer to see if I could transfer files that way and it wouldn't work either. When it was disconnected from the PC the player worked fine and for a few weeks I just listened to what was already on it.

Then a few weeks later I decided to try and fix it so I did a "clean up" - that didn't fix the problem. I tried a firmware reload (the firmware is the latest version btw) and that didn't work either....so as a last resort I did a reformat which worked and I started to put music back on it.

Everything has been good for a couple of weeks but today I was adding more mp3s to the player and the same thing has happened again and now the player won't take anymore music. (I had put about 15-20 songs on OK but then it froze at 1% during one transfer).

The player is nowhere near full and has had varying amount of mp3s on it so I don't think it's freezing when a certain level of memory is full - but I'm wondering if the HD is bad at a certain spot?

Or could this be a software issue.

I don't want to have to keep reformatting it when I want to add new stuff to it. It's frustrating.

Any ideas/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Richard.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like you may be needing a hardrive soon. Also have you tried loading the files using WMP 11 instead of MediaSource?? Replacing the hardrive is a fairly simple process so don't fret when it finally dies. You can get directions on how right here at ABI.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:19 PM

Well, I just tried using WMP 11 to send stuff to the player and it worked!

I'm wondering if some kind of software conflict is going on the causes the freezing up when I use Mediasource? I don't think the Mediasource version I'm using is really designed for Vista.

Anyway WMP is working for now so I'm happy.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No MediaSource was not written for use with Vista but can be installed (as you know) anyway.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:17 AM

WMP11 was working fine and I got about 5 or 6 albums worth of mp3s on the player using it last night. But this morning I go to put more on and it freezes after 3 songs had been transferred.

Maybe it is the HD after all.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Perfect time to install a larger drive if you want. http://anythingbutipod.com/2006/02/h...-zen-vision-m/

Old 10-24-2010, 12:31 PM

It's odd. I just went back to Mediasource and was able to add about 10 more tracks before it froze up. So if I bounce between applications it seems to work ok up to a point. Maybe if I completely uninstall Mediasource and try it it might work?