android
Old 04-19-2012, 12:04 PM

Play some music on computer, other mp3 player or R0 stock firmware. Find song where some part is playing only by one channel and play it again on rockbox firmware, it will be inverted. I'm not talking about channel balance in rockbox because it works good.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-19-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Play some music on computer, other mp3 player or R0 stock firmware. Find song where some part is playing only by one channel and play it again on rockbox firmware, it will be inverted. I'm not talking about channel balance in rockbox because it works good.
I compared the same track on a CD, as a MP3 using the Samsung operating system and using Rockbox and there's no difference at all and certainly no inversion on my RO.

According to the info on my RO I'm using version 5edae54-120315, I don't know if that makes any difference.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:08 PM

Actually there is sometimes the inversion using the microSD I guess!
From internal memory no problems at all!

Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM

I've prepared song in audacity with only one channel playing to check it correctly. Actually everything is okay. Sorry for creating confusion. All inversion case was caused by one songs from my albums where strays, crackles (built-in song) were on left side using rockbox and on right side using OF or playing it on computer. I really don't know why, but I'm not going to worry about that

btw
"We provide a early/safe USB mode in the patched firmware so the OF isn't needed. However there's no USB cable detection in Rockbox yet. Also, doing USB from within Rockbox is desirable to avoid reboots. Special care is needed to close open files before we make a connection, since the USB device cannot be exposed with open handles."

How can I send some data without OF?

Last edited by Martus0; 04-19-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martus0 View Post
I've prepared song in audacity with only one channel playing to check it correctly. Actually everything is okay. Sorry for creating confusion. All inversion case was caused by one songs from my albums where strays, crackles (built-in song) were on left side using rockbox and on right side using OF or playing it on computer. I really don't know why, but I'm not going to worry about that

btw
"We provide a early/safe USB mode in the patched firmware so the OF isn't needed. However there's no USB cable detection in Rockbox yet. Also, doing USB from within Rockbox is desirable to avoid reboots. Special care is needed to close open files before we make a connection, since the USB device cannot be exposed with open handles."

How can I send some data without OF?
Turn ON the device and keep pressed the "Back" button with the usb cable inserted

Old 04-21-2012, 08:18 AM

Good time! =)
How to create themes on rockbox?

Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5TORM View Post
Good time! =)
How to create themes on rockbox?
Here it is. Syntax is frustrating a bit, but you'll get used to it

Old 04-23-2012, 03:23 PM

What are your feelings about OF sound quality comparing with RB sound quality?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
What are your feelings about OF sound quality comparing with RB sound quality?
I don't use any adjustments to the sound under the Samsung Firmware or Rockbox so I can't comment on any difference using Equaliser settings etc.

Generally I'm not aware of any difference in the sound when using Rockbox. I have some FLAC files where a soprano voice distorts on high notes that is fine when played from the CD on my home stereo. This distortion is exactly the same using Rockbox or the Samsung Firmware so I assume has more to do with the RO itself as it's also OK on my Sansa Clip+.

The only problem I have with Rockbox is an occasional, fairly quite "crack" noise which is accompanied by a disruption of the stereo image as one channel shifts slightly before recovering. It can happen at any time and isn't in the same place in the track each time. The effect is the same as I get when using the down clocking tool in the Samsung Firmware.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post
I don't use any adjustments to the sound under the Samsung Firmware or Rockbox so I can't comment on any difference using Equaliser settings etc.

Generally I'm not aware of any difference in the sound when using Rockbox. I have some FLAC files where a soprano voice distorts on high notes that is fine when played from the CD on my home stereo. This distortion is exactly the same using Rockbox or the Samsung Firmware so I assume has more to do with the RO itself as it's also OK on my Sansa Clip+.

The only problem I have with Rockbox is an occasional, fairly quite "crack" noise which is accompanied by a disruption of the stereo image as one channel shifts slightly before recovering. It can happen at any time and isn't in the same place in the track each time. The effect is the same as I get when using the down clocking tool in the Samsung Firmware.
Indeed. @200 MHz there is a bug somewhere in the audio driver that makes this shit with files on microSD. The rest is fine.

BUT

today I have done a benchmark without RFS layer (which causes these cracking sounds + lags around rockbox) and indeed battery life is even slightly better (26+ hours). But that was not the point. The point was to see if any drawbacks in battery life were present. Seems not.
Next benchmark again WITH RFS...I plan to remove it for rockbox and leave it for OF, as in OF wihtout it the application doesn't read folder correctly (reason: samsung ^^)

Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 AM

Would you mind sharing rockbox without RFS layer build? I'm very curious about this. Besides according to me rockbox sound is less fruity than OF especially lower sounds.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Would you mind sharing rockbox without RFS layer build? I'm very curious about this. Besides according to me rockbox sound is less fruity than OF especially lower sounds.
Yes. After adding the fact that loads RFS only for OF and not for rockbox (need to think how doing that a little...) I will do that of course

What do you mean with "fruity"?

anyway RFS layer doesn't affect audio quality, I assume hehe but improves rockbox fluidity a little plus removing some artefacts / lags. Definitely to be remove...

EDIT: I definitely tested that in benchmarking mode (no inputs / no equalizer / no light) I got 2 hours of playing time for both RFS and NON-RFS firmwares. Then it would be nice to see (I will compare, if possible) the running time in normal usage, also using some games for instance. No drawbacks using rockbox. As I told you before, I will do a firmware without RFS too, when time will be a little more kind with me haha

Last edited by Lorenz092; 04-25-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 AM

I've meant deeper and a little clearer fingers crossed for RFS.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:51 PM

i know that this isn't the correct thread for my question, but i don't know where to say it..
Is possible to compile a sourcecode of an apllication for linux, to make it works as an app for R0 or as an Plugin for Rockbox? thanks in advance.
p.s the app is Visual boy advance, and the source code is avaible there(http://sourceforge.net/projects/vba/), at least if this isn't compatible with ARM, i ask if is technically possible to run an GBA emulator on the R0

sorry for my english

Last edited by Clem29; 05-03-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem29 View Post
i know that this isn't the correct thread for my question, but i don't know where to say it..
Is possible to compile a sourcecode of an apllication for linux, to make it works as an app for R0 or as an Plugin for Rockbox? thanks in advance.
p.s the app is Visual boy advance, and the source code is avaible there(http://sourceforge.net/projects/vba/), at least if this isn't compatible with ARM, i ask if is technically possible to run an GBA emulator on the R0

sorry for my english
The first thing,I believe that to compile something as rockbox application there should be changed lots and lots of different things, so it's not actually easy. I've noticed is that the code you gave link to is on c++ while rockbox uses simple c, so it already could be a pain.
The second thing, ofc if anyone will be doing such thing, it's better to search them on rockbox website and forum.
And the third, i believe that porting gba will be not supported by most of the players that support rockbox, as i remember files on gba have very huge size, so possibly there will be not enough ram to load them, there is barely enough ram to load even simple gb big files on ypr0. I guess nes/snes emulator would be more logical thing to do, and some guys even was doing one in rockbox, but looks like sadly thay gave up this project.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predelnik View Post
The first thing,I believe that to compile something as rockbox application there should be changed lots and lots of different things, so it's not actually easy. I've noticed is that the code you gave link to is on c++ while rockbox uses simple c, so it already could be a pain.
The second thing, ofc if anyone will be doing such thing, it's better to search them on rockbox website and forum.
And the third, i believe that porting gba will be not supported by most of the players that support rockbox, as i remember files on gba have very huge size, so possibly there will be not enough ram to load them, there is barely enough ram to load even simple gb big files on ypr0. I guess nes/snes emulator would be more logical thing to do, and some guys even was doing one in rockbox, but looks like sadly thay gave up this project.
In fact as rockbox plugin is completely "impossible", I mean, it doesn't follow rb source code rules at all etc etc etc etc.
Then, I don't know how is this emulator build (what uses, whether SDL or X etc). Beware that on R0 we don't have:
- SDL support
- X server
- a default way to catch inputs
-. ...
Then it would be a possibly huge work, but feasible, still not sure if the cpu power and ram is enough tough.

A note is that R0 can run C++ code, since the GCC we use (the rockbox one for example) compiles C++ too (did not test, but should)

EDIT: after a quick look to the code, it seems it can use different "renders" (Qt, SDL...) so the point would be write a new framework that uses framebuffer device + our keyboard device. Good luck if anyone will attempt that

Old 05-04-2012, 06:26 AM

http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/210/ why nobody else is going to approve it?

Old 05-04-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/210/ why nobody else is going to approve it?
Because it has still to be completed regarding the kernel module
And in this period I have tons of things to do in life
Don't worry, I will talk with rockbox devs about that (maybe also later)

Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 AM

Sometimes screen initialization fails after booting and the screen gets mostly black or grey, shows wrong colors or starts flickering white-black. Mostly after the screen gets idle, everything works after pressing a button.

Looks like the screen driver is not clearing the screen perfectly after booting.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandfuel View Post
Sometimes screen initialization fails after booting and the screen gets mostly black or grey, shows wrong colors or starts flickering white-black. Mostly after the screen gets idle, everything works after pressing a button.

Looks like the screen driver is not clearing the screen perfectly after booting.
Minor issues...For me it never happened for example. Maybe a little tweak is necessary. All these things after FM radio. It is ready, kugel is now working to get the module build files into the source tree and then it will be hopefully official
Sorry for these delays but life is always busy hihi

Tags
r0, rockbox, samsung yp-r0