android
Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM

Exactly one year ago, I was able for the first time to get the keypresses from R0 into RockBox...So 1 year has gone...Rockbox for R0 has evolved in time, fixing the basis at first and then adding features such as Radio and more...I also improved my programming skills in C (well need further to improve, but yay question of (free!!) time)
I think the feedback is largely positive, apart someone that's still amazed by the original firmware ^^ (no offense, it's quite nice and straightforward for someone who doesn't need much )
Saying that, there is much still to do like USB handling and more gadgets like radio recording, fixing Doom (Damn someone needs to go deep into that ) and more!
But it has been a great start and I even never thought I could achieve/start the R0 porting / firmware mods!!
So I've both had fun and learned new tools (kernel developing, bash scripting, git & svn usage and so on...) and what about you? All in all, do you like Rockbox? What's really missing in it? Feature that are a "damn why that in OF and not in rockbox"?
Perhaps we can suggest features and improvements for rockbox itself also!

Stay tuned (well in the coming weeks I won't be able to spend much time on that but I will do my best, as I always try to do )

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Samsung Moderator

Oh you wrote the anniversary date in your calendar to remember that?! lol

Thank you all developers from Italy, Germany and Russia for the great work on the port, although I think it lacks of French dev

The R0 is one of my favorite mp3 players and that is why I did all my best (non-dev skills) to help the dev and make that Rockbox port happen.

Although I have voluntary kept close to the developement, talking with Lorenzo and Vannix very frequently, I can't say I have learned much from my side, I understand the technical stuff as much - or as few - as at the beginning last year lol but it's a great experience anyway and I appreciate seeing the community still alive 3 years after the R0's release.

I'm happy there is finally a good rockboxed Samsung player (YH-820/920/925 were unfortunately bad players) and if anyone is interested to port Rockbox to another Samsung player (R1? Lorenzo? ), just let me know, I might be able to help with my players and some confidential documents as I did for the R0.

I hope we will be able to reach the "Stable Port" status sooner or later, that is to say Rockbox Utility support and user manual ready.

Last but not least, some stats:
Modded firmware 2.51 has been downloaded 344 times so far
LightROM 4.4FX, 23 times

Stay tuned.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM

I'm currently working on OTG for the host side (yes, we could connect usb keys, external HDDs, wifi dongles, keyboards, mouse and all kind of usb device!!). If, with the help of Lorenzo92, we could enable this feature in linux kernel let's imagine what we could be able to do with a mp3 player like our R0!

P.S: Some donations are arrived, with a letter from my boss who unlocked my salary.. So, i'm thinking about other free ROMs for R0. However, other donations would be well accepted. Ty ;-)

Old 10-15-2012, 05:16 PM

Woah it's very nice to have anniversary, wanna say thans to all developers Hope I will help a little more in the future by programming and donating (at least if I have some many left after this touristic trip lol )

Old 10-15-2012, 07:08 PM

I updated signature: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21543264/YP-...UST_TO_CLARIFY
I'm sorry with people who don't understand this story, and I'm very grateful for those who made a free small donation. As I promised in the past, all money earned will be spent on new devices and/or development tools, and not for personal purpose.

Stay tuned for all updates coming soon!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Oh you wrote the anniversary date in your calendar to remember that?! lol
Not exacly, I have as bookmark the first post about a starting-to-work rockbox on hwupgrade italian forum and I saw its date

Quote:
I hope we will be able to reach the "Stable Port" status sooner or later, that is to say Rockbox Utility support and user manual ready.
Indeed that's our point after all

Quote:
(R1? Lorenzo? )
I could set the base for development, developers already have my modded ROM as well as the basis for YP-R0, it's a matter of changing display resolution and orientation xD no well this is just to see rockbox loading, but it's not sufficient of course hehe.
Perhaps in the coming months I will try to build it for a friend of mine who's got R1 just to setup basics...

Old 10-16-2012, 02:52 PM

I'll never be able to thank you enough. I use my R0 every day and Rock Box ... Rox (sorry - can't be the first to write that.) I can't think of any way to make it better really.

Talking of anniversaries do we have any news from Slade?

Lastly sometimes when I'm playing a song the song freezes. I can change song (but not play another), go to the main menu, come back to WPS and so on, but the only way to get the player to play again is to turn it off and back on again. I'm uptodate and I use picture flow. I didn't think to try the radio or the plug-ins during the moment. It doesn't happen often.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appick View Post
I'll never be able to thank you enough. I use my R0 every day and Rock Box ... Rox (sorry - can't be the first to write that.) I can't think of any way to make it better really.

Talking of anniversaries do we have any news from Slade?

Lastly sometimes when I'm playing a song the song freezes. I can change song (but not play another), go to the main menu, come back to WPS and so on, but the only way to get the player to play again is to turn it off and back on again. I'm uptodate and I use picture flow. I didn't think to try the radio or the plug-ins during the moment. It doesn't happen often.
Known issue, at least I experience that too at times...it's the alsa subsystem I'm 99% sure ....

And yes pity that we don't have any news from Slade
He started the discussion after all I remember back in 2010/11 the various attempts to port Android's kernel to YP-R0 hehe

Old 10-16-2012, 03:38 PM

@Appick
You should also try to change theme and/or delete rockbox config. Someone resolved this issue time ago.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:13 PM

Also if this is not related with this thread (will open one with the link of the thing I'm gonna saying...)
Soo, Samsung decided for some reason to remove the R0 open source package from their website. Fortunately I had a copy on my HDD.
I've sent an email to the devs to ask explanations about this fact, and in the meanwhile I'm uploading the whole pkg on my dropbox...
For any question, please write there!

Old 10-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Samsung Moderator

Hum strange....
Do they still care about the R0?! Someone at Samsung Korea is angry about the Recovery Tool and Rockbox?
No, I can't believe that... Let's hope for an accident

Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Hum strange....
Do they still care about the R0?! Someone at Samsung Korea is angry about the Recovery Tool and Rockbox?
No, I can't believe that... Let's hope for an accident
VanniX had also this suspect, but I don't think so, perhaps they realized they gave us copyrighted material (stupid clowns, too late xD)

Here is the link to get it anyways!! (I'm waiting for a reply from Samsung, if they do not we will open a new thread, thing that I want to do keeping track of developement tools and other stuff we found)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1h063up1cuezbo/YP-R0.tar.gz

EDIT: R1-DEVELOPERS!!! (if any ^^)
I have seen that Samsung has uploaded a new package without the informations given from Freescale for the CPU specifications and such, they think that removing the link from their website they solved their troubles but in fact it is not so at all, I've uploaded also the R1 package for you guys

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8mdtj0byvh1bkg/YP-R1.tar.gz

Cheers!

Last edited by Lorenz092; 10-24-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:53 AM

How is the battery drain for you on the latest lightrom and latest rockbox?

Old 10-23-2012, 03:05 PM

Very high, but not only in the last lightrom.. also in the older ROMs.
I'm trying to fix it. I'm thinking that the problem is the battery charging. It's not fully charged when it says 100% (infact it charge faster than OF).
By charging the battery with fw 1.25 i gain some hours in playback. I can't understand the reason.. the battery recharge should be an hardware process, not software.. :S however i am trying to fix.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:30 PM

Great In fact battery % falls down really fast. I started to think that my battery is dying. Good to know that my batt is ok. You're right on rockbox the battery is recharged to full level too fast.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:20 PM

Wait wait...rockbox has a filtering system aka histeresis (or so) that computes a "median" value of the battery voltage, to see the effective percentage go to battery details in debug! Indeed this filter is kinda misleading
Moreover, yes, there are some issues also in my opinion, never had them before uhm uhm

EDIT: I updated the post with the open source packages! Please, all the devs should give an eye

Last edited by Lorenz092; 10-24-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:19 AM

RDS works at some radio stations (Berlin/Germany), but it have problems with German umlaute like "", "" and "" (wrong encoding? should be user defined?). I use the failsafe radio skin.

1st line Programme Service Name (8 chars) works the most time.

2nd line works sometimes, but often flickers while new RDS data is received. That's a little bit annoying.
I see rarely something like a sync sequence on 2nd line, 0 till 9 with 5-6 non-regular characters space between.

Does rb validate the RDS data with the CRC sum at the end of RDS block?
Does rb use the clock time data (if included in RDS data) for setting the system clock?

-------------------
I've reproducible rb hangs while begin to play an audio file only at the first start of rb since last power off.

1st hang: No auto resume, start to play a file (don't depend on how long rb is started!):
rb doesn't react on key input and display doesn't update for 2-5 seconds, but the file still plays.

2nd hang: Auto resume audio file, change to next file in playlist:
rb reacts on key input, but the audio playback hangs for 5 seconds.

I updated rb yesterday, it's version 8ad8473-121220.
PS: I use the latest modfirm.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Samsung Moderator

These are known RDS issues in the current Rockbox builds (not only R0) but developers haven't identified the issue yet.

You can follow my similar bug report here: http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/...edby&sort2=asc

I'm also in Berlin and have the umlaute issues on the Clip Zip and Samsung R0. I thought that comes from the font I use in my theme but if you say that also occurs in failsafe FMS....

Old 10-25-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandfuel View Post
I've reproducible rb hangs while begin to play an audio file only at the first start of rb since last power off.

1st hang: No auto resume, start to play a file (don't depend on how long rb is started!):
rb doesn't react on key input and display doesn't update for 2-5 seconds, but the file still plays.

2nd hang: Auto resume audio file, change to next file in playlist:
rb reacts on key input, but the audio playback hangs for 5 seconds.

I updated rb yesterday, it's version 8ad8473-121220.
PS: I use the latest modfirm.
I can't reproduce the "rb hangs" with your methods
Where are your audio files? mmc or internal memory? Does it appen with all tracks(mp3, wma, flac, ecc..)?

Old 10-25-2012, 06:01 AM

I just upgraded to the LightROM 4.4FX from the R0 modded 2.51, and all seems great except when I connect the R0 to the computer now to transfer mp3's, the R0 automatically goes into Safe Mode..is this normal? I changed the setting in the config file that gets placed on the SD card to disable startup in Safe Mode but now when I plug the R0 in, its booting straight into Rockbox and charging instead of being recognised by the computer.. should I have just left the settings alone so that it goes into Safe mode when I plug it into the computer?

Also when I first plugged it back into the comp after flashing, it was showing an extra drive called NEOGHOST or something like that..what is this? thanks

Tags
r0, rockbox, samsung yp-r0