android
Old 01-12-2011, 03:30 PM

Ok guys we have possibly the best news ever.

Imagine out mp3 player not just being an mp3 player. our mp3 player being able to be some much more efficent than any mp3 player out there even cooler than the icrap i mean ipod. imagine a fully customizable mp3 player with even wireless lan (adapter plugAdapter kinda how it looks and wireless usb stick). imagine you could run ANDROID on it.

And now imagine this being even easier than just porting rockbox. We will switch the OS of the player and believe it or not still manage to give you ROCKBOX as an APP without any further customization needed as its been already ported for android. and as a player you could use either one on the android market you prefer. videoplayer with hardware decoder.

Sounds crazy? Well it is not really that crazy!

We are gathering all the sources and thanks to mgue we found the way to leave it all behind with the atk tool from freescale we can access nand, bootloader and flash it the way we want. Next step will be first tests with compiling sources of new kernel and android.
We will move the system to 8/16GB NAND and create a custom rom with different bootloader so there will not be much left for you todo. Its gonna be a huge project. And I hope you will be a little more patient. But why stick with the old thing when its much easier to do somethin really crazy!

so far guys!
I hope you feel a little overwhelmed like I did!

This is ingenious and I want to thank mgue for pointing that out to me!

Btw.: You can try to access the tracker website now : http://ypr0.hosting.rrza.de its still a little unstable. But it should work every once in a while. Trackers will be made visible to public soon.!

Have a good one

slade!

Last edited by slade; 01-12-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Great News! Unfortunately I just sold my R0, but if it's gonna be real, I will get another one for sure!!!
I'm really looking forward into your results!

Old 01-12-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slade View Post
Btw.: You can try to access the tracker website now : http://ypr0.hosting.rrza.de its still a little unstable. But it should work every once in a while. Trackers will be made visible to public soon.!
Hello everyone,

the tracker is now public. There's not much to see at the moment.The whole server is a bit unstable and should be fixed within a week or two (I hope so at least). If you run into something like "Can not load page at ypr0..." just press F5 a few times.

We'll keep you informed!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

[insert your deity/belief system of choice here] bless you guys
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-13-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slade View Post
... imagine you could run ANDROID on it. ...
Great, but doesn't Android require (or at least, strongly recommend) a touchscreen? I see Android good for R1, but I can hardly imagine an usable Android on R0. I hope I am wrong, however.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 AM

yes it is strongly recommended thats true and the r1, will possibly the next step with more features. I saw some stuff on remapping touchscreen and android running on non touchscreen devices. of course this will limit a little bit! but it should be possible. if not we still have a fully featured new kernel running which gives us more freedom to work on!

Update
If you use android sdk emulator you will see if you set it up without touchscreen (2.1 first release supporting no touchscreen I think) and launch it you will see that you can use the arrow keys to navigate through and use the middle button to select. The selected icons and bars will be highlighted. The same can be done compiling android!
Here is a link for the techies!

I will point out the Key Mapping:
Android - R0
Left - DPadLeft
Right - DPadRight
Up - DPadUp
Down - DPadDown
Back - Top Left Button (Back Button)
Menu - Top Right Button (Menu)
Home - Bottom Left Button (More Button)
Power - Power Button
Keyboard gets focused like in the link above and can be used with the DPad, Back Button closes Keyboard. This will require to rewrite the softkeyboard but it is possible and will be done later. As for the R1 once Android is ported you probably have a blast with the touchscreen !

Last edited by slade; 01-13-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:47 AM

Hey everybody, here are some news. I am still at university so I'll have to keep it short:
  • Complete Dump of NAND
  • Dump of Bootloader+zImage (bml1)
  • Dump Sysdata Device (bml3)
  • Dump of Decrypt Firmware Partition (bml4)
  • Dump of stl1 (seems to be Magic number and md5)
  • Working on redboot.bin (its a new Bootloader)
  • Chaining to Samsung Bootloader for now (we will replace Mboot.bin and maybe do some magic because we have 4MB on bml1. we can use bootloader to switch to offset in NAND and boot Samsung for now) still in progress though
  • we have the i.MX37 Sources for Linux and Android (need to patch with LCD driver from Samsung maybe rfs depends if we use it or ext2/3)
  • I already started doing some basic compiling and setting up my arm-qemu with goldfish kernel I want to compile for Droid (kind of an ARM Emulator)
  • Mgue is working on NAND dumps and starts his first tries with programming RAM, NAND etc.
  • last but not least we are currently looking for an alternative with the lockscreen (need to slide with touchsreen) but it looks good to change that. Since we have two good c programmers

ok i think thats it for now!

I just did this from my USB Android SDK computers here are not the best. So emulator is a little slow.

Last edited by slade; 01-14-2011 at 05:10 AM.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:13 AM
Samsung Moderator

Cool,
even if it is far from the touchscreen experience, it seems to be still usable with tactile buttons

Old 01-14-2011, 05:20 AM

Good job, if you need any help with c, just hit me up, i hope i will be able to help.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:28 AM

you can use the home button to pull up the menu alot faster. I forgot to do this in the quick video. Of course some adjustments need to be done. But I think its still ok the way it is now.

Ok I'll be back later have to actually do some work in class

Old 01-14-2011, 04:32 PM

Hey we have flashed bootloader today - but it didn't work yet so now we are basically "playing" around to get the bootloader up and running and will go further from there.
I also compiled a kernel with the new sources for r0. Its flashing right now. I'll see what happens. I need to check wheter we have the right toolchain!

Mgue is trying to solder a uart wire so he can configure redboot bootloader. after its configured we just dump it and replace good old mboot.bin. So we can make a custom firmware.

Wow new Kernel just booted up!
eeks everything is in korean. should've used the european cramfs instead of the korean opensource kit

Last edited by slade; 01-14-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:56 AM

Ok guys I think http://ypr0.hosting.rrza.de is stable enough now. You can check out the progress one this Website and gain more insight on which task is currently being done! I will also post some news every once a while and I think mgue will too.
If we have groundbreaking news I will of course keep you updated on ABI as well!

So guys I wish you a great day!
And hope you will check the status every once a while on the new website.

Greetz
slade

Last edited by slade; 01-16-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ site is down for me in HK
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-16-2011, 11:46 AM

http://ypr0.hosting.rrza.de/

sorry I put in the wrong link!

Old 01-16-2011, 08:01 PM

Latest news:

I managed to compile my own Kernel, and will later attempt to compile the needed Kernel for Android. I still have I guess a powermanagement bug (whenever the display turns off player crashes). So will need to figure out which options was set wrong during compiling.
I managed to get support for the NAND Flash so player is working flawlessly even with FM receiver working. Only the one Bug left.

Next step! Compile Kernel 2.6.35 and compile Android on top of it!

Old 01-17-2011, 04:31 AM
Samsung Moderator

Congrats! I wouldn't have expected it to go so fast!
Hopefully you'll get rid of this display issue

Old 01-21-2011, 04:44 AM

Hey I guys, I managed to fix the display bug in the 2.6.24 kernel but at the moment i am stuck porting drivers from samsung to kernel 2.6.35 this will take some time to be able to compile.
Sorry about the delay but its rather more difficult than it sounds!

cya
slade

Old 01-21-2011, 05:35 AM

Amazing...
This could be the saving grace of R0...

Old 01-25-2011, 09:59 PM

I was just thinking of picking up a R0 and I stumble upon this thread while looking for a review. This is amazing news. Can the R0 really handle running Android, let alone Rockbox running on top of Android?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 AM

basically yes it can run android.

and I will also try to make a rockbox only port. Considering the bootloader does the firmware update you will always be able to flash back.

Tags
r0, rockbox, samsung yp-r0