android
Old 12-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Samsung Moderator

Congrats to Dav1de who found out the funniest bug ever

-due to a swf flash file (solitaire), the R1 finds the song "Solitude" when you search "dee"
-due to a picture (as funny as the bug itself but I won't show you ), the R1 finds the song "Freak Out" when you search "taa".

You can't reproduce these bugs without Dav1de files but I hope you agree such a bug is so incredible and funny

Last edited by lebellium; 12-05-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-05-2010, 06:11 PM

The solitaire I think it can be found in one of the games pack here, or in P3 thread, but I won't share the songs for copyright reason, and I won't share the photo for privacy...
A funny thing that lebellium didn't sad, is that the photo won't work if it's alone, it need also a folder named "Foto scuola" (this folder can also be empty)!
@lebellium: if you want to know...I'm not in that photo.
and...you made a mistake: you have to invert "taa" and "dee"

Last edited by ||dav1de||; 12-05-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ||dav1de|| View Post
@lebellium: if you want to know...I'm not in that photo.
That's also what I thought. A 21 year old guy should look a bit older

I'll report the bug tomorrow. First I'm waiting for the Samsung reply to my last email, probably in some hours (9:34 AM in Seoul right now)
BTW, are you sure that's the image of Europe (or Italia) you want to present to Korea?

Quote:
and...you made a mistake: you have to invert "taa" and "dee"
Fixed, thx

Old 12-05-2010, 06:42 PM

I've got 21 years now, but when that photo was taken I was 13 more or less...
I would prefer if the photo won't be diffused...right now I'm transferring lots of file, so I ask you to do this test: change the photo with another one, but with the same name and see if the search issue is still there, cause maybe the issue depends only on the name file and not on the content.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:13 PM

I checked by myself...the issue remains even if I change the photo with a different one but with the same name, so it's better if you send to samsung a different photo, and tell them that probably the issue is related only on the name of this file.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:47 AM

For the next firmware I have this request:

-Increase battery life when playing ogg file

Yesterday I made a test with OGG VBR 245kbps (continuos playing, shuffle, LCD off, volume 15, no audio effect), and the result was a duration between 7 and 11h (I don't know exactly how much less cause I was sleeping when the music stopped...I'll test again).
Less than 11h is too little! Is it possible that ogg files require more than twice the power required by mp3s?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:10 AM

And proper tag support for OGG. Still some files aren't properly parsed :/

Old 12-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by setialpha View Post
And proper tag support for OGG. Still some files aren't properly parsed :/
Cannot be improved on the R0 and R1 via a firmware upgrade. Has already been said thousand times.

@dav1de: you already know the answer
Improve battery life via a firmware upgrade requires much time of R&D. They already improved battery life in DNSe mode & Video playback in fw 1.14. They won't spend time on that again.

Only bugs may be fixed. The other requests won't be taken into account, I'm sorry.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:18 PM

Even if they won't do anything for battery life, I made again the test with ogg. Only 9h 20m of duration...

Old 12-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Samsung Moderator

In my gmp3 review I benchmarked 21h30 battery life for audio playback (mostly mp3 VBR V0 files but also some OGG and FLAC files), volume 15/30, DNSe normal, display max brightness and off 1min, fw 1.11

But anyway, regarding the battery life and the tags support, Samsung clearly doesn't want you to listen to other files than mp3 files. Ogg, wma, flac and acc support is just here as bonus

Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM

With MP3 (245vbr) I get 23h and 45m, that's good enough. With AAC I already told you...almost 19h, that's not bad (unfortunatly AAC are more problematic 'cause of tags and random crash). But OGG are unusable, low battery duration plus sleep mode = need of a charge every day! Maybe I'll test also FLAC to see if R1 can do even worse! I don't consider WMA 'cause are not as diffused as the format above mentioned.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:21 AM

Hi Lebellium,
as this thread is about 3.07 I am wondering if you recommend updating to 3.07? I mean are the problems caused by 3.06 (at the thread about 3.06 you recommended to use 3.04) solved?
With version 3.06 - which I just used for one day- I found the minor problem, that the digital clock did not count the seconds, the seconds only changed when you went to another menu and then changed back to the one with the clock.

As David (Battery) I would really appreciate it, if you could suggest the following for the next firmware:

Battery life is a big problem as: if you leave the player somewhere (charged) and want to use it after a few days, it has already lost a lot/nearly all of power.=>not usable

As the player mostly uses a stand-by instead of shutting off. But at about 5 per cent power level, it always shuts off to prevent the battery from deep discharge. Maybe the can integrate an option like "just display or all - hold" function so that the customers are able to decide on their own, if they want to save power by shutting completely off or if the want a fast player by using stand-by mode.
I mean this would save a lot of power while not changing a lot of code, as you are just integrating the option of choosing which action (shut down/stand by) takes place if someone presses the off-switch for some time.
alternative 2:
off-switch 2 seconds -> stand-by
off-switch 4 seconds -> off

Thank you in advance!

Edit:
As samsung states it is an off-switch, I regard the forced! stand-by mode as a problem and thus the option of really shutting it off would be a solution for a problem, not a new function.
(stand-by and shut-off(under5%) are already existing)
- I tested 3.06 for the last 2,5 hours => stand-by=> 4 per cent (93 to 83 %) power lost before, (fw 1.09) worst case was 1 percent per hour, best case 2 per cent per 8 hours (changed a lot, propably depending on power level)

Last edited by OneDude; 12-30-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Samsung Moderator

I only asked Samsung to shorten the standby mode duration as David requested. But I know they won't do anything. All those things should have been asked a long time ago, not when the device is already more than 1 years old. It's too late now

In fw 3.06 I had some issues in video playback but I guess I haven't got any in fw 3.07. The upgrade from fw 3.04 to 3.07 seems to be worth it.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:47 AM

I get what you are saying.
I thought it is worth a try, as I said, the manual says on the first few pages it is an on/off button and not a on/standby button, so in my eyes this would be a very good argument in case you'd give them my suggested firmware-solution for that.
I mean it's somehow unsatisfying if you charge your device on one day and it is discharged after some days, even if you did not use it.

Please don't feel pushed, but if you send something like my suggestion and argument, they might consider it a bit more. - just my hope.

Last edited by OneDude; 12-30-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Samsung Moderator

I'm not allowed to explain here in details the internal process of firmwares release at Samsung Korea but it is far more complex than you can imagine and I can tell you this is not a valid argument. They deliberately set a standby mode on the R0 and R1. This is not considered as a bug so it won't be changed, whatever is written in the user manual. They are also aware it kills the battery life. That's probably why there is no standby mode on the new Q3. But for the R1 it is too late.

It's so difficult to get a bug fixed, it requires me to post dozens of posts on webforums, to send dozens of emails to Samsung, to spend much time to try to reproduce the bugs on my R1 (and the others models) and that's still not enough to get all bugs fixed. Adding such a request in the emails while everybody knows it won't be improved would not help, it would rather be counterproductive.
The R&D visibly wants to stop the firmwares support for the R1. I do my best to get one more release from them to fix the library update bug but for all other things which are not a bug but "just" something annoying when using the R1, it's too late, I'm sorry. Now the R&D has to spend their time on the U6, Q3, YP-RB, and the new Galaxy Players.

Hope it's clear enough now

If you don't want to be disappointed I advise you to expect nothing from Samsung and to consider my job and the firmwares releases fixing bugs as a "bonus".
When you buy a Samsung product, you should bear in mind it won't improve over time except some bug fixes. But in term of user experience the product won't be improved. You accept the product as it comes. If you're looking for a mp3 player that goes better over time, don't buy Samsung.
That doesn't mean I agree with their policy, quite the contrary. But as I know much more about Samsung than a normal customer, I prefer to explain you the things as they are, even if the reality is cruel. I'm not here to make people hope and dream! That's the goal of the Samsung's marketing team, not mine

Last edited by lebellium; 12-30-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:36 PM

I appreciate your honesty.
That's the best way you can handle stuff.
Thank you so far.
I know that will never happen, but if they reveal the code of the fw, after the product isn't sold anymore, I guess it would not be too hard to delete or shorten the stand-by mode. As there is no need for creating own, new code - I know dream on...

Is there any comparable player (price/functions) that has better battery life? I mean I charged the r1 about 12 hours ago and I am down to 74 per cent, while it was off most of the time. (Only made some changes after new fw...)

Last edited by OneDude; 12-30-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Samsung Moderator

That would be cool but Samsung never published a firmware code so there is no reason they would do it for the R1. However, the R1 Linux Kernel is available on http://opensource.samsung.com/ .
That means maybe one day Rockbox will be ported to the R1. Slade is working on it for the R0. If the experience is successful, maybe he or another guy will work on the R1 port

Oh and the standby mode is not responsible for everything. There are other hardware and software reasons that explain the poor battery life.
The only solution to save battery is to reset it every night before sleeping. Reset turns it fully off.

The P3 has the same features and a better battery life. But its screen is bigger and the player itself is bigger.
It depends on your use. Do you watch movies on it? Do you need bluetooth?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 PM

Well about other reasons: seems that when it shuts down at about 5%, it doesn't lose power.
What happens if I reset?? All files deleted? or all system changes back to default? If nothing like that happens and this would be ok for the hardware, why not .

Well about the features, how much better is the p3- If it has the same stand-by, I can't spot a reason why it should last longer-bigger battery? I just saw it costs more. To be honest I just thought it would be nice to watch some funny clips or show some pictures to friends. But after all I think I don't necessarily need that, but the possibility of recording radio/voice is pretty good. I don't think that i need bluetooth. And of course I don't want to charge it after three days or within a week.

Do you know/are you allowed to tell the time period for which it goes to stand-by before it shuts down??

The open source software at samsung: YP-R1_OpenSource_Update1.zip on http://opensource.samsung.com/ what is that? fw?

Last edited by OneDude; 12-30-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Samsung Moderator

The Reset button doesn't delete anything and doesn't reset the settings, it just forces the device to turn off. That's useful when the R1 gets stuck or freezes but that may also be useful to avoid the standby mode and save battery. Unfortunately that's not very practical.

The P3 also has a standby mode like almost all "recent" Samsung DAPs but it doesn't kill the battery life as on the R1. The battery capacity is bigger and the software battery management is better. You can expect 20-25h real audio battery life.

But if you really want a good battery life, get a Cowon. Cowon's battery life is usually 2x longer than on a Samsung mp3 player.

I don't know how long is the standby mode. David said something like 5hrs but I really don't know. But that's several hours for sure.

I just downloaded YP-R1_OpenSource_Update1.zip to compare with YP-R0_YP-R1_OpenSource.zip
Both contain the Linux Kernel and it seems that there are also the firmware parts as I found a revisioninfo.txt file saying "Version : V3.03 Target : KR" in YP-R0_YP-R1_OpenSource.zip and saying "Version : V3.07 Target : KR" in YP-R1_OpenSource_Update1.zip. But that's too complex for me. Need Slade to explain what's the contents exactly^^

Old 12-30-2010, 05:57 PM

First things first, both of you are forgottening an E: my name is Davide (greater part of italian words end with a vowel and sometimes N, L, or R, at the moment I can't find words finishing with D, names behave at the same way). Second I think that the standby last for more or less 8h but I never tested it so it's just a sensation. @lebellium do you think that forcing the "recovering firmware" can damage the player? Or maybe it could shorts its life? Beause I found a file that every time cause the R1 to shut down, with a recovering firmware when turning it on, I'm interested in it because this "forced shut down" avoids the standby so it could be useful if it wouldn't be to dangerous.

Last edited by ||dav1de||; 12-30-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Tags
3.07, firmware, r1, yepp, yp-r1