android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon X7

Old 11-17-2010, 10:51 AM

@Plazo - one other thing. I connected my J3 this morning and took a long hard look at the directory and I did not see any of the .Trashes, .Spotlight or other junk folders I am 100% certain were on the X7.

Also keep in mind that I am transferring files through parallels on my MAC. So even it it does work for you it's not the exact environment I have. It would be great if it works for other MAC users though. Let us know what you find out.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Tomorrow
Hi Plazo, welcome to ABI!
Thank you FT

Quote:
Bluharvest didn't work for me as mentioned in that post
What do you mean by "didn't work" because I bought it today and I tested it on my Cowon S9 and my Sansa Clip + and I have no more junk files how did you configured it ?

Quote:
Try copying over 2GB's, then about 8GB's and then 1-5GB's
I tried to copy about 4,5 GB of music and no problem.
Then I tried to copy around 12 GB of non music files, isos and and other stuffs because I had no more music files, and my S9 still works.

I can't try to copy from parallel because I don't have it but I can do it from Vmware if you want.

Are we sure that this problem is due to the ".*" files, couldn't it be coming from the way the file system is unmount on mac os ?

Last edited by PLazo; 11-18-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLazo View Post
Thank you FT
What do you mean by "didn't work" because I bought it today and I tested it on my Cowon S9 and my Sansa Clip + and I have no more junk files how did you configured it ?
You're welcome mate and thank you for taking some time and testing some transfers on your S9 and your great questions. Sorry for my late response.

After running blueharvest and checking the J3, there were still .Trashes files in there. Notice above it's clicked. Ran it again and same thing.

Quote:
I tried to copy about 4,5 GB of music and no problem. Then I tried to copy around 12 GB of non music files, isos and and other stuffs because I had no more music files, and my S9 still works.
Ah...see you cheated ...Just kidding. Well I'm glad you didn't brick your S9 but my transfers are usually 1gb, some smaller folders in between that are around 90mb-145mb and then 2gb, 4gb etc. and only .MP3 and .Flac files, but glad you were successful with a large transfer regardless.

The large transfer theory if you will has been questioned before here. The ABI members that posted reported zero issues with the amounts of music on their 32GB and 16GB players nor did they have any issues getting it on there.

About a VMware test. Thanks again for everything but let's not push your S9 for two reasons. 1. I'd honestly feel like crap if your device were bricked and you had to RMA and 2.This problem is specific to the X7 and testing other devices without Parallels and large files just isn't the same environment

Quote:
Are we sure that this problem is due to the ".*" files, couldn't it be coming from the way the file system is unmount on mac os ?
This is a great question because it's possible only COWON knows from a deeper diagnostics what would actual brick the device in this manner. It could also be corrupted .mp3's but I've ran several apps on all my music folders and nothing comes up red flagged that would brick a device.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Tomorrow View Post
After running blueharvest and checking the J3, there were still .Trashes files in there. Notice above it's clicked. Ran it again and same thing.
I've had this kind of problems and I solved it adding my custom S9 volume this way :

Quote:
About a VMware test. Thanks again for everything but let's not push your S9 for two reasons. 1. I'd honestly feel like crap if your device were bricked and you had to RMA and 2.This problem is specific to the X7 and testing other devices without Parallels and large files just isn't the same environment
My "on/off" switch is dead as you can see on the picture below. I am using my Sansa clip + for the moment. My Cowon is now more an usb key or a benchmark device than a true mp3 player since I need a paperclip or a needle to turn it on/off so it doesn't bother me to brick it.

Since I don't have any issues with my mac I'm not sure that testing a huge file transfer from my Vmware should be usefull in fact.

Given your bad experience with the X7 and the fact that it's not possible no change track without unlocking it I think I have no choice I'll wait for the D3. I hope that the finish will be better than it is on the S9.

Last edited by PLazo; 11-19-2010 at 07:18 AM.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I've had this kind of problems and I solved it adding my custom S9 volume this way :
What I posted was simply my settings to show you what I had selected. 1. I have no device connected because 2. blueharvest has expired and I wasn't about to drop coin on an app that didn't work for me.

Quote:
Given your bad experience with the X7 and the fact that it's not possible no change track without unlocking it I think I have no choice I'll wait for the D3. I hope that the finish will be better than it is on the S9.
Somehow Plazo COWON playing with Android makes me fairly nervous. I'm also willing to bet that they don't reskin it.(The X7 theme seems in some areas like a blown up version of of the J3 theme) I'd be interested to see how their SQ integration plays out on the D3 but this time around I won't be one of the early adopters.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I never had any of my 8 Cowons brick on Windows (except the crappy V5, for other reasons). This is only an issue with Apple computers.
Regarding Windows usage... I was just wondering what happens if you remove the Cowon (I have a D2+) without properly ejecting? Ive on more than one occasion accidentally removed it w/o ejecting, and like clockwork it no longer can read the mp3s... I have to reformat the player and reload my music each and every time. Its terribly annoying. The only reason I tolerate it is cuz the sound is so powerful. Just wondering if this happens when youre using windows. I have VMware Fusion... wondering if I should start using Windows exclusively when loading the player.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:09 PM

I always yank them out without ejecting, no issues at all. I'm using Teracopy, not Windows' own shabby copy routines (but that shouldn't make any difference).

Old 11-22-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybruh View Post
Regarding Windows usage... I was just wondering what happens if you remove the Cowon (I have a D2+) without properly ejecting? Ive on more than one occasion accidentally removed it w/o ejecting, and like clockwork it no longer can read the mp3s... I have to reformat the player and reload my music each and every time. Its terribly annoying. The only reason I tolerate it is cuz the sound is so powerful. Just wondering if this happens when youre using windows. I have VMware Fusion... wondering if I should start using Windows exclusively when loading the player.
Every time I "accidentally" remove my D2 from my Apple Computer that guarantees me one thing. I will be spending the next 1hr or less fixing it.

I don't have these problems on my Windows machine with my D2 or other COWON devices. Not sure how VMware is setup but hopefully it handles COWON devices better than Parallels. I just setup my PC(windows machine) again this weekend and as far as I'm concerned Apple and COWON are NOT compatible.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:24 PM

hi
cud u tell me wether the x7 hangs or bricks too much requiring resetting??
and despite the low video resolution
how is the video quality of a high reso video converted to low reso

Old 12-04-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
... as far as I'm concerned Apple and COWON are NOT compatible.
AFAI’m concerned another good reason not to take a bite of that fruit

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
AFAI’m concerned another good reason not to take a bite of that fruit
+1....I'm a PC

Old 12-06-2010, 11:16 AM

I would like to caution anyone thinking about using TCCtool on a bricked X7 coming from Export Prive. The return is NOT going well and COWON(supposedly) is giving Export Prive a really hard time. Cowon has realized through diagnosing and trying to fix the device that TCCtool was used and they are in no way happy.

I'll continue to update the thread even though this is turning into a very discouraging episode with Export Prive and Cowon.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:19 AM

If those guys at Cowon would release an official unbricker tool - like some other companies do (even Samsung released FWDN for some of their Telechips players) - none of that would be an issue... sigh. Especially since everyone knows by now that OS X is a deathtrap for a Cowon player - excluding Cowon developers, though.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 AM

Heh, my beloved x7 (I absolutely loved it -- when it worked... for four days) bricked last night. Windows 7 user here. Wanted to fill it up for christmas vacation, and added music in small batches and gave it a breather now and then, but apparently it didn't even matter.

Just contacted Cowon, hoping to hear back soon (I'm leaving for christmas vacation tomorro, which was going to be pretty much the honeymoon for me and the player).

Surprisingly enough I'm not on the verge of a genocide though. Easy come easy go I suppose.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:53 AM

What has happened? If you have an error message and it won't go into "menu", just paste the 3 files from firmware 2.06, the latest one, again and it will all be fine. This has happened to me a few times after I have added tracks and this has worked each time.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
What has happened? If you have an error message and it won't go into "menu", just paste the 3 files from firmware 2.06, the latest one, again and it will all be fine. This has happened to me a few times after I have added tracks and this has worked each time.
The love I feel for you right now is not the kind of love a straight man like myself would usually feel for another man, but man... I love you, man.

I also feel like a complete idiot and I'm ashamed of myself. I'm very 'tech-savvy', yet I started complaining before doing something as simple as that.

I bow my head before your greatness. It seems me and my beloved x7 are able to continue our future together after all.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiskinen View Post
The love I feel for you right now is not the kind of love a straight man like myself would usually feel for another man, but man... I love you, man.

I also feel like a complete idiot and I'm ashamed of myself. I'm very 'tech-savvy', yet I started complaining before doing something as simple as that.

I bow my head before your greatness. It seems me and my beloved x7 are able to continue our future together after all.
love triangles are doomed to end up in shambles, i suggest breaking up with resiak immediately, so that you and your x7 can work things out.

congrats on your unbricking success, btw.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 12-20-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
Any idea why it does that? Kind of worrying really. I should find my X7 sat waiting at home after work. Still procrastinating on headphones though. Denon D7000 seems to get the sort of reviews and opinions I was after for my sound, but it's a lot of money to put down for something I might not like. Local retailers only seem to carry Sennheiser in the high end bracket, and I hate their 'phones.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:20 AM

@Kiiskinen...I think you may have mistaken "bricked" for "system error" or everyone just has a different definition for bricked? If it were truly bricked like the two X7's I had there would have been no way you would have been able to fix it as there is no accessing any menu or dropping any files anywhere. A bricked device is truly unaccessible under normal connection protocol.

It would help if you could tell the forum exactly what the problem was you experienced and what the error message actually said because just saying "bricked" and then Resiak being able to help with a simple FW update suggestion doesn't really help most situations unless the person knows exactly what happened. IMHO the device was never bricked.

If you or Resiak think I'm missing something or got it all wrong, by all means please enlighten me as I would love to know if I could have done something differently but it doesn't seem like it.

Last edited by Future Tomorrow; 12-20-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: actually someone is being helped...

Old 12-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
@Kiiskinen...I think you may have mistaken "bricked" for "system error" or everyone just has a different definition for bricked? If it were truly bricked like the two X7's I had there would have been no way you would have been able to fix it as there is no accessing any menu or dropping any files anywhere. A bricked device is truly unaccessible under normal connection protocol.

It would help if you could tell the forum exactly what the problem was you experienced and what the error message actually said because just saying "bricked" and then Resiak being able to help with a simple FW update suggestion doesn't really help most situations unless the person knows exactly what happened. IMHO the device was never bricked.
I don't even actually know what bricked means. Or didn't until last night when I encountered the problem and googled it up.

The problem was when I tried to turn the device on. It got stuck on 'Updating Metadata', and gave me an error after a short period of time, which read something along the lines of 'Failed to *something* resources, error'. Then it stayed like that for a short while and turned itself off. My comp still recognized it normally, and I even removed everything from the device and formatted both the flash and HDD drives using Windows' own format tool (backing everything up beforehand, of course), but that didn't fix the problem either.

I'm 80% sure it happened because I moved too many files without giving the device a chance to update. When I move files in 14gb batches and disconnect & update it every time it seems to be fine, but when I moved a folder with 30gb's of music it locked up twice (tried it out since I now know how to fix this particular problem). Either that or I have some corrupt files, but this is highly unlikely -- but not impossible.

I just finished moving another 14gb batch and I'm now about 50% through and all seems well.

I'll post another update later when I finish moving everything.