android
Old 11-13-2010, 10:34 AM

Default MicroSD brands difference?

I've been looking for MicroSD cards for my Fuze and I read in a variety of places that the Fuze cuts down battery to half if it's a non-Sansa card, some cards have slow playback, are incompatible, etc etc. What's the validity of these claims? I'm not too worried about PC to card writing speed.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
I've been looking for MicroSD cards for my Fuze and I read in a variety of places that the Fuze cuts down battery to half if it's a non-Sansa card, some cards have slow playback, are incompatible, etc etc. What's the validity of these claims? I'm not too worried about PC to card writing speed.
Hmm....half the battery life with a non-SanDisk card, I really doubt that...then again, I've only had SanDisk cards. I've never heard of any card causing slow playback though.

I've read Kingston cards give people problems with Fuzes if they try to load videos on them, but I think they work OK with audio....but again, I haven't tried one myself.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Hmm....half the battery life with a non-SanDisk card, I really doubt that...then again, I've only had SanDisk cards. I've never heard of any card causing slow playback though.

I've read Kingston cards give people problems with Fuzes if they try to load videos on them, but I think they work OK with audio....but again, I haven't tried one myself.
I've used Kingston card with videos on the V2 Fuze with no problems. I've used just about every name and no-name card available. I've never seen any of the issues you list. There's a number of threads here like this one where others state a definite preference. I've never seen any of them cite any of the reasons you list.

Do you have any links to where you've read that?

EDIT: Other cards play video on my v1 Fuze. The Kingston card crashes the player.

Last edited by skip252; 11-13-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Added info about v2 version

Old 11-13-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
I've been looking for MicroSD cards for my Fuze and I read in a variety of places that the Fuze cuts down battery to half if it's a non-Sansa card, some cards have slow playback, are incompatible, etc etc. What's the validity of these claims?
So far I have not had any problems playing back music from my Transcend, Patriot, and SanDisk microSDHC cards.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I've used Kingston card with videos on the Fuze with no problems. I've used just about every name and no-name card available. I've never seen any of the issues you list. There's a number of threads here like this one where others state a definite preference. I've never seen any of them cite any of the reasons you list.

Do you have any links to where you've read that?
You would have to ask me that....it would have been the SanDisk forum, back before the refresh of it. That's why I added the "I haven't tried one myself", at the end, in case it was bunk. OK, here's one....http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Ki...sue/td-p/67310

Old 11-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Kind of thought so. That may have been before video4fuze I believe. That's all I've ever used for videos on the Fuze.

Tried that horror show that was the Sansa Media Converter back then and had worse problems than they did. The few things I could get to convert played horribly even with Sandisk cards. Everything I've done with video4 fuze has played nicely regardless of card type or location.

@Fool, do you have any more links to where others are having the problems you list? While I haven't had any problems with non-Sandisk cards it would be nice to check if there may be some I might want to avoid in the future.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Kind of thought so. That may have been before video4fuze I believe. That's all I've ever used for videos on the Fuze.

Tried that horror show that was the Sansa Media Converter back then and had worse problems than they did. The few things I could get to convert played horribly even with Sandisk cards. Everything I've done with video4 fuze has played nicely regardless of card type or location.
I didn't even think about the whole SMC/video4fuze thing....I tried a couple of videos on my first Fuze, a couple years ago, and the SMC took about 9 minutes to convert a 15 minute video podcast....that, plus the size of the screen, was enough for me to not ever bother with video again.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

+1 with video4Fuze - works great, tastes great, less filling... Threw a few test vids on Fuze just for kicks and played terrific.

Cards: I have had no issues with Kingston, Sandisk and Toshiba. Not so great luck with Polaroid and Memorex so I avoid those but others have been fine with them. PNY is OK as well....
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 PM

Well I'm looking at some what I assume are "no-name" MicroSD brands:

http://factorydirect.ca/catalog/prod...p?pcode=TF4000

http://factorydirect.ca/catalog/prod...p?pcode=TF8000

I'll to find the threads I looked at previously.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:21 PM

Is there a Canadacomputers near you Fool? I don't know about the factorydirect near your place, but the one in Hamilton's pretty sketchy.

It may be better to buy from other places, especially when they're about the same price or cheaper in some cases.

Example.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=020549

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=021157

Old 11-15-2010, 06:35 PM

I wouldn't worry about buying flash from factorydirect, i have a dozen flash drives and sd/microsd cards from there when i worked there and they all come sealed package.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 11-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyguy View Post
Is there a Canadacomputers near you
Thanks for asking this question. It looks like a canadacomputers store opened recently in St Catharines. Might have to check it out. At minimum, another option. Can't buy a Sansa there, but other stuff.

Steve