android
Old 11-15-2010, 06:11 AM

Default Howz Transcend MP860?

Howz Transcend MP860? It does have line-in, but what about the SQ, resolution of screen, video quality. Anyone?
In fact, I expected a complete subforum dedicated to Transcend, but was surprised to see none!

Last edited by eggyhed; 11-16-2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: No answer yet from anybody.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-18-2010, 09:01 AM
General Audio Moderator

Transcend does not actually make its mp3 players in house , they tend to be low quality Chinese designed mp4 players and such.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuki View Post
Transcend does not actually make its mp3 players in house , they tend to be low quality Chinese designed mp4 players and such.
i see. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:07 PM

I had the 850 for a while, and it was pretty decent. The sound quality was actually pretty good, with good headphones. The video quality was nothing special.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:00 AM

Yeah, even my P3, like most stuff, says "Made in China" !

Old 12-20-2010, 03:13 PM

Transcend MP860 is actually a very good mp3 player.Its sound quality is eqivalent to sansa clip and even better in terms of bass response.Not only it has line in recording but also lyrics sync.multi playlist builder,variable playback speed,srs wow,flv and avi video support,option to cut copy delete songs within player,microSDHC support upto 16gb,e book reader with variable font size,and photo viiewer with slideshow.On downside it cannot sort songs on basis of album,artist,genre.It has only folder view option.Transcend mp3 player is not like cheap chinease crap,it is very durable and also they frequently release firmware.They manufacture mp3 player in their plant located in china(even compony like dell or dell manufacture product in china)

Old 01-28-2011, 07:50 PM

hello
are you still satisfied with your Transcend mp860 player.
how is the battery life, how many hours.
The quality of music that you can correct with the EC or need to be with each song set EQ.
I found it for 60EUR
can it be compared to the sansa clip plus
I currently have Sony ericsson w950 and Creative Zen Stone

Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 PM

There seems to be one in stock in my local store. I had a fuze beforehand, but sadly, it has passed.

I'm probably going to take a bite at this and hope that it's not too bad.

The reason why I said probably is because I do hope someone in the Hamilton Ontario area can sell me a fuze or clip for about 30 dollars.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyguy View Post
The reason why I said probably is because I do hope someone in the Hamilton Ontario area can sell me a fuze or clip for about 30 dollars.
Refurbished Fuze and Clip players at Factory Direct. I don't know how to interpret this but the Hamilton store is not showing up on the inventory checks that I just did.

The inventory check shows that Niagara Falls has stock of the following..
black 2GB Clip $30 (http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/...p?pcode=SA1270)
black 4GB Clip $40
black 4GB Fuze $40 (low stock)
black 8GB Fuze $60

Steve

Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 PM

Thanks freez5 for the headsup. Hamilton's Factorydirect has usually been quite a mess in terms of stock and storage. Their main store area has little room to walk through last time I checked becuase of all the miscellaneous products that didn't all fit in the back I presume.

Now, please don't feel offended that I didn't take your suggestion, but I ended up getting the Transcend anyway. I was just too curious and it was on my way to McMaster.

Off the top I can say this right now.

To sum it all up quickly, here's the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The good: loads of features, free silicone case and landyard, microsd card slot, 2 years warranty (1 year LCD, 6 months battery) seems like it's built pretty nicely

The bad: UI's a bit clumsy, no tagging ordering or library organization, Scrolling doesn't have acceleration, volume is in it's own pseudo menu screen. It doesn't integrate the sd card that well, as far as I know, feels hollow, like the S9.

The ugly: The hiss. It's quite noticeable and it doesn't help that my main earphone sets are the PL-30's. The other set I used were my meelect M9's.

I have lived with my yp-T9 for quite some time before the rockboxed fuze and it feels like, UI wise, I headed back to the T9.

In conclusion, I can't really say I'd recommend this at 60 CDN, But I'm still keeping it over the fuze. I'm going to put a bit of faith in Transcend's firmware updates. Their most recent update was actually the 4th of january.

It's a great platform for Rockbox, in my opinion, but the popularity of the device will be its downfall in terms of development.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:41 PM

Tanuj, You seem like a pretty active forum poster in the Transcend forums. Maybe you can convince the firmware developers into releasing some knowledge into how the firmwares are set up?

Also, Do you know the differences between the MP860 and the MP870, hardware wise? To me, it seems like a slight firmware change to enable more video formats to be played, but Im probably wrong.

Oh, and after a few hours with the device, I'm learning to accept and adapt to the hiss (with an E5 attached to the device playing at full volume)

I feel like the device has a reduced lateral soundstage. It just doesn't seem as airy to me as the Fuze.

The screen's also very nice, but I'm coming from the T9 and Fuze, so take these words with a grain of salt.

It comes with a preapplied screen protector too. It actually has a printed plastic screen sticker over the protector, but you can actually peel the printed layer off.

The LCD color shifting isn't so bad horizontally, but it's noticeable vertically.

I have difficulty organizing thoughts, so... Sorry if you have been confused by my frantic posting.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:22 AM

For me it is OK
I bought philips 9500 headphoes, and by my opinion they are better than sennheiser cx150 which have to much bass.
With preloaded EQ settings, it is not as good as clip+ but be frank with your selves, a lot depends on subjective feeling of sound.
I like to heard small nice instrument, and not to much bass.
And finaly .
By my opinion, 70% of SQ are headphones and just 30% are PMP and its EQ settings.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:18 PM

I am really undecided myself!

There aren't really many opinions of the Transcend MP860.

And almost none? of people who had both devices (the MP860 and the Clip+).

What about the battery life?
As i have read so far, the Clip+ without MSD-card really manages up to 15 hours of music play.

What about the MP860?

Also after an email to the Transcend support, i got to know that the only difference between the MP860 and its updated version is that the MP870 supports rmbv files...nothing more.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:33 PM

I realy dont know.
I just bought it.
Information which i have is 9-13 hours, of real life use, not playback.
I think that sansa clip+ have much more less, than 15 hours.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:52 AM

I had the Fuze before, and I'd have to say, there are the little things that bother me with the MP860.

the music gets clipped at the beginning, the soundstage sounds a lot more closed, the hissing is annoying (if you're using IEM's, partially fixed with the E5), the video skips with the given converter, it's not gapless, delays in switching music, UI isn't as intuitive as I would like, and the SD card doesnt integrate with the library. Those are the first few things that come to mind.

The good though, the external speakers get fairly loud, the line in may come in handy, the battery life seems like it's around 20 hours (haven't really timed it) and the screen pixel pitch is a nice change from the Fuze. If you care for such gimmicky things, their GIF viewer actually views motion GIF's, but the jpegs that are not put into native resolution or lower of the screen will be rendered by the player to a lower resolution making zooming fairly useless if you want to see more details. You can also change the images to wallpapers for the background of your device.

I still miss my Rockboxed Fuze though for its sound, UI, and database and be warned that EQ effects usually diminish battery life quicker than normal playback.

The mp870 is probably just some firmware changes. I am tempted to just flash it over, to say the least. I may attempt that some day on my reading week.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 AM

where in canada did yall buy these? factorydirect? seems the transcend doesn't meet my requirements, though i have no desire to buy one or any more players but if i did, this would be skipped over. thanks for the lil review of it phatt

Old 02-07-2011, 10:51 PM

I actually bought mine at Canadacomputers.

Yes, they had them fancy Cowon's behind the glass cabinets, but I couldn't afford those.

I've actually grown somewhat attached to the device now. Kind of like finding out that the brat child in the family never actually had any friends, so you try to warm up to him/her.

@splashback
No problem. One of the main reasons why I bought the device was so I could do a proper review on it. I'll probably do this some time during the reading week.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyguy View Post
I actually bought mine at Canadacomputers.

Yes, they had them fancy Cowon's behind the glass cabinets, but I couldn't afford those.

I've actually grown somewhat attached to the device now. Kind of like finding out that the brat child in the family never actually had any friends, so you try to warm up to him/her.

@splashback
No problem. One of the main reasons why I bought the device was so I could do a proper review on it. I'll probably do this some time during the reading week.
I have same feeling.
I even test battery duration.12 h playback, with EQ settings something HD, philips headphones, 192kb music, and 50% volume.
I am not satisfied 100% but for this price i cant get any better.

Which EQ settings you use.
I have problem, always want something better, and screen drains my battery.
I should find best universal EQ settings, and leave it.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 AM

i know its sometimes acting on impulse and not best decision but i've been checking out brands that are not so popular, easily available here or known in general. i want to be different and to help others who are want info on it to have at least online somewhere to find an opinion on it. more than likely it will never have a review cause they're off brands so just trying to help a little.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 PM

Hm. I don't know if i should start a new thread, but holding the return and play key to turn the device on bricks it. It actually gets stuck on the startup screen.

Maybe it's just my device.