android
Old 11-18-2010, 07:04 AM

Default Figuring out Rockbox on my Clip+.

Well,I finally rockboxed my clip+ since it turned stable,but there are many things that I've yet to figure. For one,only about 1/8 of my song folders show up in 'Database'(the one accessed from the main menu). No matter which category,Artist,Album Artist,Album,Genre,Composer etc etc I click,it shows that same set of songs,despite the fact that there are many more folders of songs. I can though,access them from 'Files' from the main menu,but that would mean that I wouldn't be able to play all my songs at one go,but only play them either by SD slot or internal memory. What gives? I'm not sure why but for some reason only that select few folders are showing up,but the rest aren't.

Also,I can't seem to be able to work my way aroung making playlists. Many questions on this,but I'll post that up either here or in a separate thread so that they can be answered individually.

Cheers and thanks alot!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-18-2010, 07:21 AM

you can go to the settings menu initialize and update and then you should see all the current songs.

you can also set it up that it does that automatically.

hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLipster View Post
you can go to the settings menu initialize and update and then you should see all the current songs.

you can also set it up that it does that automatically.

hope this helps.
That helped,and now I can see all my songs in database,but because setting it to automatic update seemed like the one in OF where the database would update everytime I added in new songs,I went ahead and switched it to Yes. But the player is updating it over and over,reboot after reboot,and now I have 3 copies of each song displayed when I select a folder. Omg?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adclancer View Post
That helped,and now I can see all my songs in database,but because setting it to automatic update seemed like the one in OF where the database would update everytime I added in new songs,I went ahead and switched it to Yes. But the player is updating it over and over,reboot after reboot,and now I have 3 copies of each song displayed when I select a folder. Omg?
Okay scratch this,I just set auto update to off and re-initialized and re-updated again for the last time,and the copies went back to one. Although,because most of my songs are in korean,the titles appear as squares instead of the texts itself. Is the player not able to display Korean text?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Although,because most of my songs are in korean,the titles appear as squares instead of the texts itself. Is the player not able to display Korean text?
Install an unicode-capable font from the font pack: http://download.rockbox.org/daily/fo...kbox-fonts.zip

And/or an unicode WPS theme: http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?...=sansaclipplus

Old 11-18-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Okay scratch this,I just set auto update to off and re-initialized and re-updated again for the last time,and the copies went back to one. Although,because most of my songs are in korean,the titles appear as squares instead of the texts itself. Is the player not able to display Korean text?
Use the 14-Rockbox-Mix font (use the Rockbox Installer to install the font package). Because this will make the main menu go awry, you'll want to turn the Status Bar off, and use my base theme font file you can find here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=59179. Just save that file as a .sbs file in your .rockbox/wps folder, then select it as the base theme (make sure Status Bar is set to off!).

For the actual WPS you'll want to use http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?...=sansaclipplus (either install with the official utility or download by clicking the screenshots).

Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Install an unicode-capable font from the font pack: http://download.rockbox.org/daily/fo...kbox-fonts.zip

And/or an unicode WPS theme: http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?...=sansaclipplus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmix View Post
Use the 14-Rockbox-Mix font (use the Rockbox Installer to install the font package). Because this will make the main menu go awry, you'll want to turn the Status Bar off, and use my base theme font file you can find here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=59179. Just save that file as a .sbs file in your .rockbox/wps folder, then select it as the base theme (make sure Status Bar is set to off!).

For the actual WPS you'll want to use http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?...=sansaclipplus (either install with the official utility or download by clicking the screenshots).

Pardon me for my stupidity,but I'm not sure how to go about installing a unicode-capable font. Do I use the rockbox installer? I'm not familiar with the terms for alot of stuff at the rockbox website as well as their instructions as most of the time,no matter how many times I read a line I'm trying to figure out,I end up frustrated because of my lack of understanding.

Thanks and cheers again!

Last edited by adclancer; 11-20-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Pardon me for my stupidity,but I'm not sure how to go about installing a unicode-capable font. Do I use the rockbox installer?
You can, or you can download it from the link dfkt provided.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Once you have the font downloaded to your Clip, you simply select/"play" the file to change the display font to it.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
You can, or you can download it from the link dfkt provided.
Well,I opened the Rockbox Utility and clicked Extras,then clicked Fonts Package,and clicked yes when they asked me to install,although something tells me this was too easy and I'm missing something,since my Korean text still appear in sqaures. Also,I went to click Install themes too,but nothing seems to have changed. So I thought of this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Once you have the font downloaded to your Clip, you simply select/"play" the file to change the display font to it.
but I went to Files and could not find a file to select.

I tried finding a way to somewhat ''put'' what I downloaded from dfkt into the rockbox utility,but couldn't find a way.

Sorry for the trouble,I'm really amateur at this kinda stuff,and this is my first time meddling into a DAP's software.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Well,I opened the Rockbox Utility and clicked Extras,then clicked Fonts Package,and clicked yes when they asked me to install,although something tells me this was too easy and I'm missing something,since my Korean text still appear in sqaures. Also,I went to click Install themes too,but nothing seems to have changed. So I thought of this :

I tried finding a way to somewhat ''put'' what I downloaded from dfkt into the rockbox utility,but couldn't find a way.

Sorry for the trouble,I'm really amateur at this kinda stuff,and this is my first time meddling into a DAP's software.
I've actually converted my mini-effort into a full theme with Unicode capabilities. In your Rockbox Utility, in Extras, install the Fonts Package (answer "Yes" to "Do you really want to install?"), then click Install Themes, and install the "asian clip+" theme that I made. After it has been installed, boot your Clip+ in Rockbox and go to Settings -> Theme Settings -> Theme Settings -> Browse Theme Files -> asianclip, and all your Korean text should show up. The Korean music in my Clip+ show up properly.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The font files are not stored in the same place as your content files. They are stored separately in their own folder, along with your Rockbox operation files. Did you look there?

Old 11-21-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
The font files are not stored in the same place as your content files. They are stored separately in their own folder, along with your Rockbox operation files. Did you look there?
I think what he meant to as was where to select them.

Settings -> Theme Settings -> Font

I still recommend my theme for the cleaned-up base theme though.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks. That helped alot,and the theme looks great!

On to the next big question,playlists. After broswing all the threads pertaining to creating playlists and the like,I've come up with no results. I've tried possibly everything,and there just isn't an easy way,one click hold method (or any method at all) to add something to a playlist.

Went to database,then Tracks,then randomly went to any track and held down the select button. This is where all the b/s starts. Two options that have anything to do with playlists catch attention,first one at the top of the screen being the obvious choice anyone would select,'Playlist'.(Option A from now on.) After that,one gets View Current Playlist,Search in Playlist,Save Current Playlist and finally,Reshuffle. Bear in mind now,I'm playing 1 out of 1.2k songs that I've selected from my Database,so after clicking the first option,View Current Playlist,the screen changes to a list with a highlight of the current song that is playing,and the other 1999 songs in the same list. Obviously not what I want,so back we go. The next option,Search in Playlist,obviously means a search of the current 1.2k songs you are listening to,so that's out. Save current playlist would just save the 1.2k songs into a playlist,which is not what we want right now,furthermore,this playlist is merely the same as going to Database > Track. I'm not absolutely sure what Reshuffle does,but when I clicked it the order of all the songs were,need less to say,reshuffled,so I guess it's for the lazy beings who refuse to turn Shuffle on? I'm not sure.

Anyway,since all the options for Option A failed,I went back one step, and proceeded on to the next category that appeared after holding select at the song,Playlist Catalog,right below Option A,Playlist.

Playlist Catalog (Option B) has 3 subcategories,View Catalog,Add to Playlist,and Add To New Playlist. View Catalog,from my understanding of clicking it and achieving a pop up message,is to view all the playlists you have created thus far. With my difficulty in even creating one,the message that showed up when I selected it was of course,'No Playlists'. On to the next sub category,Add To Playlist. This option I assume,is to add the currently playing song into one of the playlists you have in your catalog,which,if you have read from the start of this paragraph,I have failed to do so. Thus,the same message that says 'No Playlists' appears. On to the last and final sub category,Add to New Playlist. This looked promising enough at first glance,but I've had nothing but failure trying to create a playlist from this categroy as well. After selecting add to new playlist,the letter input system shows up,as well as /Playlist/. I randomly renamed it and,after comfirming,held down the select button to finish what I thought was a creation of a new playlist,with the song that was currently playing right now as the only song inside the playlist.

But nothing happened.

Since I thought I had sucessfully created a playlist,I pressed the Home button,which lead me back to the main menu,went to Playlist,and clicked View Catalog,but the same message that popped up befire came up again to my disappointment,'No Playlists'. I've tried everything. When going into Database > Track and highlighting a song and repeating the last step in Option B,I come up with the same result.

When I go to the main menu and click Playlist,then go on to click Create Playlist,'Recursively?' shows up,and that just 'creates' a playlist of the folder or song highlighted in Files. And even then,this playlist also does not show up in View Catalog.

After repeated circles and rounds of trial and error,I have only been able to create a playlist once named A,and managed to add songs individually thru Option B's 2nd category,'Add To Playlist',but after the deletion of that test playlist,I have failed to repeat this with the same outcome,having the 'No Playlists' crap shoved to my face once again. I'm sure I did exactly the steps I did in the previous few paragraphs,but I'm not sure why after that success,I wasn't able to recreate it again.

I'm really at a loss on what to do anymore. As always,thanks and cheers.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Administrator

The manual is here. The section "Working with Playlists" is here. Before you frustrate yourself entirely I'd do some reading and keep a copy handy. The time you spend expressing what doesn't work could be spent investigating how to make it work.

When you first start with Rockbox having a copy of the manual to refer to is invaluable. It's easy to get lost in all the menus and sub-menus and not be sure what the results of a particular button press might be. The best example I can think of off hand is what you get from "Enter" vs. "long Enter" is almost always different.

Rockbox is not especially intuitive IMO but it is very logical. Once you've worked through how to create a playlist once or twice with the aid of the manual it becomes fairly easy.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

+1 with skip252 - he gave me similar advice when I RB'd my first Fuze and it was completely on the money. It will be time well spent and the ability to make/manage playlists on the fly in RB is awesome.

btw skip252, congrats on your new status here Long overdue!
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-21-2010, 04:26 PM

Thought you didn't like playlists les.

Amp: PA2V2, Fiio E3, FiiO E7, FiiO E5, FiiO E11, FiiO E6, FiiO E10

Old 11-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Yeah, that "status" and a buck will get me a cup of coffee. As long as I go to McDonalds.

lestatar, you know like I do the easiest people to help are the ones who have done their due diligence. The times I had to lend you a hand were when you had read the manual, downloaded and tried the software and the results weren't what was expected. You didn't just say, "How do I make a playlist?"

Everybody jumps in then. IIRC funman, the Rockbox developer, came around with some info that helped us both because he saw we had tried and just needed that little bit to get over the hump. The people at Rockbox are rightfully proud of a great free software. If we help them by doing our homework before we say "It's buggy, busted, whatever..." and present them with solid facts to work with when we have a problem I think there's no limits to what they can accomplish.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Viking View Post
Thought you didn't like playlists les.
Nope, that was me that said I didn't use playlists. lestatar can't live without them.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The manual is here. The section "Working with Playlists" is here. Before you frustrate yourself entirely I'd do some reading and keep a copy handy. The time you spend expressing what doesn't work could be spent investigating how to make it work.

When you first start with Rockbox having a copy of the manual to refer to is invaluable. It's easy to get lost in all the menus and sub-menus and not be sure what the results of a particular button press might be. The best example I can think of off hand is what you get from "Enter" vs. "long Enter" is almost always different.

Rockbox is not especially intuitive IMO but it is very logical. Once you've worked through how to create a playlist once or twice with the aid of the manual it becomes fairly easy.
In my defence,I did read the manual beforehand,and did exactly what I did,but the outcome still failed.

By using the Playlist catalog
The Playlist catalog makes it possible to modify and create playlists that are not currently playing. To do this select Playlist catalog in the Context Menu. There you will have two choices, Add to playlist adds the selected track or directory to an existing playlist and Add to a new playlist creates a new playlist containing the selected track or directory.

Note: All playlists in the Playlist catalog are stored by default in the /Playlists directory in the root of your player’s disk and playlists stored in other locations are not included in the catalog. It is however possible to move existing playlists there (see section 4.1.2).

I have tried this,as seen by my explanation above,and still have not been able to create a playlist.