android
Old 11-23-2010, 02:27 AM
Administrator

The reason I brought up that there's a difference between(and I did misname the term, sorry) Select and long Select is that when you were at the point were you saw all the songs on your player that was exactly where you needed to be to start creating playlists. Select will start the song to playing. long Select will bring up the Context menu needed to create a playlist. Actually the same applies to any song on the player.

Pick a song from anywhere on the player. long Select it. You'll see a Context list that includes all the possible actions you can perform with that song. Choose Playlist Catalog=>Add To New Playlist. That will take you to the keyboard were you can name and save your playlist. Then check your Playlist Catalog. The name of the playlist you've just created should now appear there. If it doesn't it means you're not saving the list correctly.

You may find it a bit easier if you pre-make a set of playlists while the player is connected to the PC. Just open the Playlist folder and create a text file with the name of a playlist. Then save it with the extension .m3u8 instead of .txt. You can make as many as you want. There's a lot less fiddling around with the tiny virtual keyboard then.

Once you long Select a file you can choose Add To Playlist rather than Add to New Playlist. That will bring up the Playlist Catalog and you scroll to one of one of the playlists you've created and Select it. The resulting action is so quick that nothing appears to happen but that file has been added to that playlist. You'll see that either when you play the playlist or navigate to the Playlist folder and long Select it and choose View Playlist from the context menu.

Variations of these same ideas apply from wherever you are in a Rockbox menu. Select causes an action to occur and long Select brings up the context menu to modify the possibilities related to that action. Once you become familiar with the Context menu you'll find that it's very powerful and flexible. Part of the incredible usefulness of Rockbox is the connected to the Context menu. It opens a number of possibilities I've never found on any other media player.

What I've described here is just a few of the simpler ways I know to create and save a playlist. There are any number of variations possible. That includes making playlists with software while connected to your computer. At this point it's pretty rare that I make playlists on my players now. I just drag the song into the playlist window in XMPlay and save them to the external card. Then I play them from there and save them from the context menu in Rockbox. MediaMonkey, Winamp and even WMP lets you do the same thing.

No doubt you'll come up with a method that's convenient for you if you look around a bit. That's part of the beauty of Rockbox. It sets the table, it's up to you to serve yourself. Dig In!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-23-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Pick a song from anywhere on the player. long Select it. You'll see a Context list that includes all the possible actions you can perform with that song. Choose Playlist Catalog=>Add To New Playlist. That will take you to the keyboard were you can name and save your playlist. Then check your Playlist Catalog. The name of the playlist you've just created should now appear there. If it doesn't it means you're not saving the list correctly.

You may find it a bit easier if you pre-make a set of playlists while the player is connected to the PC. Just open the Playlist folder and create a text file with the name of a playlist. Then save it with the extension .m3u8 instead of .txt. You can make as many as you want. There's a lot less fiddling around with the tiny virtual keyboard then.

Once you long Select a file you can choose Add To Playlist rather than Add to New Playlist. That will bring up the Playlist Catalog and you scroll to one of one of the playlists you've created and Select it. The resulting action is so quick that nothing appears to happen but that file has been added to that playlist. You'll see that either when you play the playlist or navigate to the Playlist folder and long Select it and choose View Playlist from the context menu.
But you fail to see why I am so on the edge! I am aware of the long select and select button since I've installed it,but the method which I've described,and the method which you have just posted (both the same) nonetheless,don't seem to give me any results. I'm not sure what's the problem anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adclancer View Post
Anyway,since all the options for Option A failed,I went back one step, and proceeded on to the next category that appeared after holding select at the song,Playlist Catalog,right below Option A,Playlist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adclancer View Post
Went to database,then Tracks,then randomly went to any track and held down the select button.

Last edited by adclancer; 11-23-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Administrator

You can't really do anything wrong so there's no need to be on edge. There haven't been any recent reports of anyone being seriously injured while making a playlist on a Rockboxed Sansa. The developers worked out the bug that made them explode when it was done wrong quite a while ago.

You've opened the context menu.You seem to be stopping there. There are further options inside each of the items listed there. You have to scroll to the option you want and select the action you want to perform.

If you've created a few of the pre-made playlists I describe and you want to add a song to one the steps would be,

1) long Select a file, that should bring up the Context menu

2) scroll to Playlist Catalog, Select that

3) scroll to Add to Playlist , Select that, you should see a list of the pre-made playlists.

4) Scroll to the one you would like to add the file to, Select that.

You've now added that file to that playlist. When you open the Playlist folder and select that playlist the file you've just added should play.

The context menu may be different in the Database screen, WPS screen and the screens in the File browser but they each have the options I've listed to make a playlist. I believe at this point you need to dig them out and find how to use them. Run through the steps a few times and you should be putting together playlists in short order. Good Luck.