android
Old 11-19-2010, 06:08 AM

Default album art on X7

Album art which worked perfectly well on S9 and J3 look terrible on X7. The album cover is resized to be larger than the screen and you can't see the full cover. It is amazing Cowon can't check these simple problems before releasing new products. Anyone with an idea how I can fix this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-19-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
Album art which worked perfectly well on S9 and J3 look terrible on X7. The album cover is resized to be larger than the screen and you can't see the full cover. It is amazing Cowon can't check these simple problems before releasing new products. Anyone with an idea how I can fix this?
And here I was thinking it was only me. It's a cool effect on some albums and looks hideous on others and at the end of the day you are not seeing the full deal.

Here's what I'd try:

Update FW, are you using 2.05 already? If that doesn't fix it email COWON and JetAudio. When I receive my replacement device I can look into this if you don't find a fix and now that more people are buying this I'm sure an X7 bug thread will shortly follow.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:54 AM

I got the X7 yesterday and it came with update 2.05. I have emailed Cowon about this but they always come up with incomprehensible questions which usually I can't answer. At least they will be aware of this problem.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:27 PM

that is not a glitch or a problem! its a new feature! whats worryin is why some album arts wont even show up!! now if anyone knows how to sort that, am all ears!

Old 12-24-2010, 03:00 PM

All my album covers show but only the centre...stretched out to fill the screen. Can't see the full cover but I can move it left or right by touch to see the edges. If this is what it is supposed to, its crazy.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:21 AM

What's the best way to contact Cowon if you want to report bugs or suggest feature changes?

Old 12-29-2010, 03:29 AM

Go to http://www.cowonglobal.com/, then "support", then "Q&A". You can write your stuff in the box headed "post a new article". I have written to them quite a few times and my last question was about this very subject...album art not showing fully. I received a reply and here it is....

"Thank you for using COWON X7.

We do appreciate a suggestion you submitted. Your suggestion has been reported to our research team. They will try to refer to your suggestion as much as possible, however, we're not able to know when or whether it will be supported. If it is possible, it will be noticed on our website."

It seems they were not even aware of the problem.....which is really peculiar. Did nobody at Cowon try out their own player??

Old 12-29-2010, 04:42 AM

Doesn't look like it - playlist support isn't working properly, the wallpaper function seems random at best, and the UI has too many instances of small things on the far side of the screen which isn't best for finger navigation. If you go to the picture browser it browses all your pictures AND all the cover.jpgs on the entire machine, which is also crazy.

Business as usual at Cowon basically - they could really do with some form of user testing before finalising interfaces and firmware.

Last edited by system11; 12-29-2010 at 05:23 AM.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:09 AM

I managed to get playlists working okay using winamp. I never did solve the playlist problem on the J3 and have given in. I think the problem on the J3 is the external sd card.
On your IU, when you mention little bits at the edges, it could be that they haven't been fully moved to the next page. There are separate screen pages for icons. You get to the next page by dragging it in with your finger.
With album covers, I have each track embedded with its relevant album cover, using tag&rename so I don't have your problem. However, your problem may be solved if you put your other photographs in folders and so separate them from album covers.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:36 AM

Well they're already in other folders, they all live in the directory for each album, but the X7 trawls the entire filesystem for anything with a picture format suffix. Since the X7 does seem to behave properly with embedded tags (D2 seemed hit & miss) I might just delete all the cover.jpg instances, but it's not a good solution - the picture browser should only show things in the Pictures directory. That's what the directory is for after all.

How did you create and copy playlists to it? I've been using Mediamonkey mainly because it's the only one I know and on a sync it can force file layouts like this: Music/A/Aband/Some_album - can winamp do syncs/etc like that or have you just been copying things into place manually (which I'm also just fine with).

Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 AM

I have never done it the way I think you have...that is put each album in its own folder and include the album cover. It must be a nightmare when you want to see all your music files on the PC using explorer. I don't know how many albums you have but for the future when you buy a new player with a different system, that may cause a problem. Depending how many albums you have, I would take the time to use tag&rename (it costs) or for free with iTunes to embed each album with its own cover. Depends on preference I guess. If you have your personal photographs in folders, the folders will show up at the top, which will separate them from album covers.
Using winamp, I create playlists and transfer them to the X7..manually I suppose! Don't use sync...I basically prefer to know exactly what is going and in control.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 AM

I don't think I'd ever want to see *all* my music files at once in explorer, that's why I broke them into A-Z/Artist/Album in the first place There are 4,500 songs on there at the moment.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
All my album covers show but only the centre...stretched out to fill the screen. Can't see the full cover but I can move it left or right by touch to see the edges. If this is what it is supposed to, its crazy.
I think the covers show up the way they were intended to do. I mean, I don't think it's a bug. X7 has a rectangular screen and its longer side is a very long one. If they had chosen to show the artwork in full, then either the artwork had to be compressed from the sides distorting the image, or the artwork would only take half the screen preserving their square shape, so either the bottom or the top of the screen would be left empty. In the end, I think, Cowon chose to do it this way. For me it's a minor issue, as long as the more important stuff (sound quality, codec support, screen responsiveness etc.) function well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're making a big issue out of a minor thing, I'm just saying that it's a choice of design I'm not totally in favour of, but still don't care much about...

Old 12-29-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by system11 View Post
Well they're already in other folders, they all live in the directory for each album, but the X7 trawls the entire filesystem for anything with a picture format suffix. Since the X7 does seem to behave properly with embedded tags (D2 seemed hit & miss) I might just delete all the cover.jpg instances, but it's not a good solution - the picture browser should only show things in the Pictures directory. That's what the directory is for after all.

How did you create and copy playlists to it? I've been using Mediamonkey mainly because it's the only one I know and on a sync it can force file layouts like this: Music/A/Aband/Some_album - can winamp do syncs/etc like that or have you just been copying things into place manually (which I'm also just fine with).
I noticed the same problem with the album covers being automatically transferred to the picture viewer. I noticed it's making the picture viewer too crowded and sluggish, I decided to embed all artwork into the files like Resiak suggested. This is a bug in my view. Another bug is that you are taken back to the top of the page after viewing an image, no matter what the place of that particular image was. You keep going back to the top instead of where you had previously been before viewing the picture.

I use mp3tag for tagging my files including embedding cover art to the files. It has many great features. And it is free.

As for the playlist files... I don't use playlist files, though I wish we could have a "play next" feature or the ability to create playlists on the player itself. But we don't... I think the playlist files might function properly if you
1. Connect X7 to your PC
2. Add the files to Winamp
3. Create your playlist by "save playlist" option (must be something like that)
4. Choose the X7 hdd as the location for saving the playlist file...

I'm just guessing here... I have not tried it... Please report back...

Old 12-29-2010, 04:50 PM

Well I submitted a question to them containing some bug reports and suggestions. The more people do that the better.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 PM

the full screen album art isnt a bug, its a feature!!!

the issue i have is the album art not always showing up, for example i might not have the spice girls album art showing, then if i add say, some Beach Boys Music tracks, then sometimes the SpiceGirls album art starts displaying!!

also the playlist really doesnt work!!

Old 12-30-2010, 01:27 PM

I found something strange out with album art today - if you have multiple bits of art tagged to a file, it cycles them as a background. It was driving me crazy, the music I was playing had 2 identical covers tagged on them, and the screen kept 'jumping' for no reason. I'd started to think it was RMA time.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by system11 View Post
I found something strange out with album art today - if you have multiple bits of art tagged to a file, it cycles them as a background. It was driving me crazy, the music I was playing had 2 identical covers tagged on them, and the screen kept 'jumping' for no reason. I'd started to think it was RMA time.
I'll tag a few files with multiple images and see how it functions... It might be nice...But then again, it might drive me crazy...

Old 01-01-2011, 09:47 AM

does anyone know a guaranteed way of transfering files using MediaMonkey so the album arts always work? ive noticed that MTP usually works, but has difficulty transfering Flac files but using msc flac files get trasnfered and the album art works too, heck if u have 3album arts on a file, the arts switch between em too!

but i cant seem to get a guaranteed method of transfering all album arts most of them work. but at the mo i'm trying to get the player to switch between the album arts for each track!!

Old 01-01-2011, 12:18 PM

I have two ways for this and they both are guaranteed to work.

a.
1. Embed the album art to the files using mp3tag (You can select all the files at once and embed the image to them at once)
2. Drag and drop the album folder into the music folder on the X7 hdd

b.
1. Place the artwork in the album folder along with the music files and name the image "cover.jpg"
2. Drag and drop the album folder into the music folder on the X7 hdd

If you want different images to be displayed while playing different tracks in one album, you will have to embed different images to music files individually.

I don't see why you would want to prefer the hassle of syncing via the moderation of a third party software to the ease of drag and drop in windows explorer... but it's your music files, your time and your player, so you call the shots...

Tags
album art, x7