android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio

Old 11-22-2010, 02:24 AM

Unhappy Cowon, sweetheart: I think we should see other people.

Cowon, honey, sit down. We have to talk.

Don't cry! Please don't cry. But yes, it is that conversation.

Look, it's not you, it's me. No no, it's true. You haven't changed in years and I guess that's the problem. I have loved you since I heard you all those years ago. I have five pieces of your artwork. I carry at least one of them everywhere I go, every single day of our lives. But I don't know how much longer I can do it.

What's wrong? In a word, you're boring. You have been for years, and I've tried my best to overlook it.

Oh sure, an AMOLED screen here, a new case color there, but you have done nothing innovative, nothing cutting-edge, since the initial batch of design brilliance that made me fall in love with you in the first place.

Why am I bringing this up now? The X7. Same same, same same. HEY don't get mad at me, it's true. Be mad at yourself. Why you even bothered kind-of highlighted just how much we've grown apart, I guess.

No, honey, no... don't try that with me. No you haven't been concentrating on audio and video quality. I'm sorry babe, but I know. I've listened to my FLACs. I've encoded hundreds of video clips. It's bad enough when the specs of your last 6 or so players seem identical; from quality to codec support to the intentionally corrupted files that will lock your units up.

But? Yes. But - when my ears cannot tell a difference large enough that I can't be sure it's just not me hoping, wanting something to be different. Yes. YES! Look, there's no denying it. You're not trying. I don't know why. Maybe you're lazy. Maybe the only intelligent design engineer left you and you can't replace him/her. Maybe it's greed and low costs. I don't know. YOU DO. For all I know it's something as simple as your first design engineer over-estimated the quantity of those Wolfson DACs by hundreds of thousands, so you put them in every unit until you run out?

All these touch-screens and you never once took advantage of it. I mean, a handwriting transcription app? Since you've never bothered to license a Java machine to give us at least the apps of a '00 cell phone, but this Flash Lite that, let's face it, no one uses. Thanks, babe.

Your lack of drive is what frustrates me the most. You know, you could spend a few hours on re-designing the analog output, I mean those Wolfson's can let you sing out some nice Class-A DAC sweetness, but you keep feeding me the direct output from what's probably the circuitry implementation from Wolfson's own reference design in the damn datasheet! With a couple select components and choice layout, you could improve the SNR, lower the noise floor, increase the usable power... be *the* top player in SQ again!

Or if you're in a software mood, maybe finally add chapters and multi-bookmarking for audiobook tracks, compilation tagging, return to previous shuffle states, save states for each file so you can change video tracks without having to seek, and on and on and on. No, no. Don't pretend I've never mentioned these things before. Playing innocent won't work.

You have the power, the ability. And it's not even cutting edge thinking, at this point it's just keeping up! And you can't bother to do even that. You do your makeup and hair, and yes I love the way you recreate your body and sometimes your UI, but I know you, I know it's the same you underneath, and I would love you if you no matter how your rectangular body looks, but that's not the point.

I'm sorry, Angel. I love you. I'll always love you. But you have given up and I don't know if I can continue our relationship. You're beginning to... well... as I said, bore me.

Look, I'm sorry, I got to go... Remember what I said, yes? And take care of yourself.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-22-2010, 02:56 AM

Interesting way to express things.
And I find lots of irony in your username :] haha
All I interpret from this post is:
-possible improvements of J3 (?)
-X7 sucks

Old 12-24-2010, 06:02 AM

It does seem bizarre that they're happy to let the bass rolloff be a standard iAudio 'feature'. There are no alternatives that I know of though. I prefer hard drive players, there's Archos and Apple, but that's about it really. Archos are 'meh' and Apple will shackle me to the misery of iTunes, no thanks. Then there's the battery life, nothing even comes close to the X7 there.

I quite liked the look of that Colorfly C4 thing but the reviews suggest it's .. dodgy at best.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:43 PM

hey Cowon, do you have any plans for tonight?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:06 AM

I'll gladly continue my relationship with Cowon if I can continue to push it's buttons rather than be all touchy feely with a touch screen. Nowadays devices makers all fall prey to the touch screen trend. You have to caress, rub, tilt, shake, bump things to make them work... Just give me buttons. I'll be faithful to you Cowon.

Just give me buttons.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ This. Heck yeah, but guys like us are definitely swimming upstream these days...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm w/you guys when it comes to buttons vs touchscreen. For me it's buttons all the way!!!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup. Touchscreen is all well and good chilling around the house, but buttons are preferred in any kind of real-world use.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Well, this probably isn't the ideal forum to say it, but if you're looking for a large capacity player with a decent battery life and real controls, buy a used 80GB iPod Gen5.5 and rockbox it. Pretty damn close to my ideal player.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectortone View Post
Well, this probably isn't the ideal forum to say it, but if you're looking for a large capacity player with a decent battery life and real controls, buy a used 80GB iPod Gen5.5 and rockbox it. Pretty damn close to my ideal player.
How's the battery life on them once Rockboxed? I remember looking up specs on my sisters 30GB and seeing that the original battery life was only like 15 hours or so. I tried talking her out of it at one point and she never would go for it.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Take a look at the iPod port runtimes page Marv. Too many results with different builds and conditions for me to want to characterize the results.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Take a look at the iPod port runtimes page Marv. Too many results with different builds and conditions for me to want to characterize the results.
Well most of them don't apply to how I would be using one(never used musepack format), but I can still gather that I most likely wouldn't be impressed. Clip+ with microsdhc would be my preference for Rockbox, and I already have one of those.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
How's the battery life on them once Rockboxed? I remember looking up specs on my sisters 30GB and seeing that the original battery life was only like 15 hours or so. I tried talking her out of it at one point and she never would go for it.
I got 23 hours out of mine the one time I did a battery test. That was on shuffle with 192VBR mp3s. The 80GB iPod Videos (gen 5.5) have a larger capacity battery than the 30GB version.

I love my Clip+ too but I like having my complete music library with me when I travel. J3 isn't rockbox-able and I need crossfeed, D2+ even with 32GB card is too small. So 'the-DAP-whose-name-we-dare-not-speak' has become the one for me. Horses for courses :-)

edit: and of course, with rockbox, no iTunes.

Last edited by selectortone; 06-22-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectortone View Post
I got 23 hours out of mine the one time I did a battery test. That was on shuffle with 192VBR mp3s. The 80GB iPod Videos (gen 5.5) have a larger capacity battery.

I love my Clip+ too but I like having my complete music library with me when I travel.
23 hours is decent, especially for all that capacity. I didn't know there was a battery difference between the 30GB and 80GB.

I remember my sister being royally pissed because she bought it and six weeks later they came out with the 80GB for the same price she paid for the 30GB...lol. That's why I research (some would say over-think) all my purchases.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 PM

I may switch to Creative Zen after my Iaudio 7 gives out. They seem to still understand the value of buttons...

Old 12-05-2011, 07:50 AM

Woah, wait - this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowonFTW View Post
intentionally corrupted files that will lock your units up.
Can someone elaborate please?

Cos I think this is one of the things that bricked my X5...

Old 01-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Very good post, addressing many of the more relevant issues Cowon are presently plagued by (instead of the usual 'make an iPod Touch clone you Korean idiots' pseudocritique we most often get around here). I don't fully agree with you, though, because several of Cowon's present players are actually very very good, such as the i10 and the J3, and personally I feel they're heading in the right direction with devices such as the i10 and the upcoming Z2 (1.2 GHz gentlemen) and Android tablet.
You can bash the X7 all you want but the facts speak for themselves: It's the ONLY high-capacity alternative to the iPod Classic, and it does more or less everything better than the latter. Although it could have been a lot better, it definitely fills a niche.
What worries me is the persistent bass roll-off, the identical codec support between most players (with a few notable exceptions such as the D3, which is nothing short of stellar on this front) and the fact that they keep using the same DACs.