android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 11-23-2010, 10:20 PM

Default Sansa Fuze 2GB with 32GB microsdhc - file or folder limit?

Hello,

I have a 2GB Sansa Fuze with a 32 GB SanDisk microsdhc (authentic), and I've recently encountered what seems to be a file or folder limit.

The total number of songs on the Fuze display won't budge past 5996, however, when I open with My Computer and check the properties, it shows 7149 files and 997 folders. That said, the artists and albums I just added don't show up under artist or album when I scroll through on the Fuze, although they do show up when looking through the folder in My Computer, and the recently added total seems stuck on 50. I just updated the firmware and it is and always has been set to MSC.

All the files are music files and virtually all are 128 kb/s wma.

Does anyone know if I've reached a limit, and if so, if there is anything I can do to get around the limit?

There are sub folders within each folder for each artist, e.g. The Beatles (main folder) Abbey Road (sub folder), which are all stored in a main folder titled "Music", and although I haven't tried it yet, principallly because of the effort involved, perhaps if I removed all of the sub folders and placed the files under the main folder for each artist that would help?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Lee Be

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It sounds like you have reached a limit. With later firmware, the Fuze is said to have around an 8,000 song limit. It can be less than this though if you have long filenames, long tags, or long folder names. Are you using the latest firmware?

I don't know if using WMA is a factor, and if tagging under wma uses up more space than for mp3. Using fewer folders will probably help.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:13 AM

rockbox is the answer

Old 11-24-2010, 01:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonella View Post
rockbox is the answer
+1

Old 11-24-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Be View Post
Does anyone know if I've reached a limit, and if so, if there is anything I can do to get around the limit?
Formatting the internal memory might help. Before formatting, make sure you have a backup copy of all your files. The best solution, however, as already mentioned, is to use Rockbox.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:38 PM

Thank you very much for the replies JK98, Solomonella, Marvin the Martian and Enigmatic.

Since I'm a bit behind technologically, I'm going to try and clean up my folders first, since that will be the most straightforward for me. I have also e-mailed SanDisk to determine if there is some sort of intrinsic limit, either with folders or files.

I checked out the Rockbox site and it seems intriguing, and although I can't find a reference anywhere as to whether it will allow for a greater number of files on the Fuze, your strong recommendations suggest to me that it likely does.

I'll post my results, if any, when they're in.

Thanks, again.

Lee Be

Old 11-24-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Be View Post
I checked out the Rockbox site and it seems intriguing, and although I can't find a reference anywhere as to whether it will allow for a greater number of files on the Fuze, your strong recommendations suggest to me that it likely does.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...53&postcount=2.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 PM

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...53&postcount=2.

And there's my answer - thank you Enigmatic, for the link. Lee