android
Old 11-24-2010, 04:27 AM

Default Random WP7 Question: Static IP

Hi Guys!

I was wondering if WP7 could switch between Wi-Fi spots with and without static IP addresses. So I looked on Wikipedia and it said
Quote:
Windows Phone 7 does not support the ability to connect to hidden wireless (Wi-Fi) hotspots,[60] hotspots with a static IP address
At home I use static IP addresses for all my devices. But would this mean I have to use my 3G connection to use the internet at home on the WP7-phone?
Can someone please verify this for me? This would be a dealbreaker for me. So I would like to be sure on this.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

If the router is assigning a specific IP address to each device, then that should work. No way for me to test it though. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:11 AM

Ah sucks. This Guy had the same problem.

And Medion thanks for helping, my router doesn't do that. We give our pc's the numbers ourselves. It's the reason my zune HD can't use my wireless network either.

Dave, do you have any idea if static ip support will ever be implemented?

Old 11-25-2010, 05:55 AM

Can't your router do static DHCP? That's how I configure my network. The end devices are all set to DHCP, but the router assigns them always the same IP based on their MAC address. So I don't have to change anything when I connect them to another network.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:18 AM

It can. However I discussed it with my father and brother and it seems that has a lot of cons. So that isn't really an option.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:42 AM

I'm genuinely curious what cons static DHCP has, if you care to elaborate (since I haven't found any so far, myself).

Old 11-25-2010, 12:56 PM

Sure, I'll try my best. (I must say, "a lot of problems" was an overstatement. I meant "big" problems in our eyes)

If I'm correct, the router will use totally new addresses for each device. Which is kinda a big problem for the port forwarding. It would be a lot of work to set all the ports correctly again. Although you wont have to do this again and again, it still is a one time lot to do.
Secondly, our router isn't the most stable. So if it crashes I have to set all the ports again. And since the ip adresses are now dependent on the mac adresses, it isnt just that easy to set them like "192.168.100.x" but they're totally different, this sucks when you have to do it everytime.

And I thought my brother had another con, something with connection or something within in the network. I'll have to ask him about that again.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:37 PM

I see - thanks for your exhaustive answer. (Well, only thing to recommend would be to get a better router, one with DD-WRT support, but that's certainly not what you want to hear. )

Old 11-26-2010, 12:52 PM

Haha no, not at all. As long as it works, it stays.
Hopefully microsoft will release an update which will implement this. And I think they'll do that, since my brother's iphone and my other brother's android device can do it too. For now, I just have to wait and use my motorola e770v for a little longer.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Buddy

So I'm not on the WP7 team, but if the phone doesn't support static IP addresses (ie: setting static IPs on the phone itself), then I really don't know if/when this support is coming.

What I can suggest is you do what dfkt and I both do - DHCP with static issued IP addresses. Yes, you have to invest a few minutes reconfiguring your port forwarding - but then save your firmware configuration externally, and then just reload it whenever your router dies and you need to reset. That will absolutely be the easiest.

Or just get a new router. They're cheap these days and you might value not having to reboot it all the time.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 PM

I noticed a lovely phone called the Omnia 7 without a simlock and it was lower than 500 euro. So I ordered it. Now my brother and father changed something in the router and I can use the internet with still the same ipadresses. I think you Dave mentioned it as issued ip adresses.
It's a lovely device, now i just need to configure it a little bit and I need to get use to the back button. The Zune HD doesnt need one because of the broken words on top and im still trying that.
I installed an app to learn how to type on a touchscreen, something with zombies, and its fun and im getting better!

O and, can anybody recommend some fun free games? Im in the Netherlands and WP7 wont be released officially until late 2011 so I cant buy anything.

(and this is probably a question to Strider_Aus, is there a topic where you can put your questions if you have them? ;D)

Old 01-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

Hey Broodbeleg,

Thanks for your question. I don't actually admin or mod here - so Medion is your best bet for any questions in that regard. I'm jut posting to try and give this section of abi a kickstart. I have my Samsung Focus - and are loving WP7, so as a abi reader of over 12m (for ZuneHD) I thought I'd give some back....

As far as I see it, if there is no specific section here - or existing relevant post, then just create a new thread with anything you have to ask or add.

All contributions welcome.

Cheers.
S.

(PS Married into an Aussie Dutch family myself....won't embarrass myself and try and post anything basic in Dutch though! lol)

Tags
static ip, wi-fi, wifi, windows phone 7