android
Old 11-05-2010, 05:55 AM

Default would you still buy a view?

Hi,

I'm trying to find an mp3 player that suits my needs: I want something simple (only for music), with large capacity and good battery life.
I've been looking at the Sansa Clip+, which looks very promising but has only very limited battery life; the Fuze, which has better battery life but apparently very irritating controls, and is also more expensive.
Then I came across a 16GB Sansa View for about 70€, which appears to have what I like in the Clip+ but with much better battery life and larger capacity, for a very cheap price.
On the other hand, the player is already pretty old; and does not have a lot of fans on this forum.
What do you think, does it make sense to buy this View? Or do you have better suggestions for the same price range?

Thanks,

Peter

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Do not buy the View. It is a piece of crap, which is why it is so cheap now, they are just trying to sell off remaining stock. If you can give us a list of what else is available in your price range where you live, we'll be able to give you an idea which ones to consider.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:54 AM

To expand on Marvin’s statement, it’s an outdated player that was abandoned by sandisk and is unsupported (no firmware updates). On the other hand you mention the Clip+ which is one of their more recent releases, is affordable, good UI, good build quality, expansion slot and can be rockboxed, IMHO that would be the better choice … it’s a no brainer.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterv View Post
I've been looking at the Sansa Clip+, which looks very promising but has only very limited battery life; the Fuze, which has better battery life but apparently very irritating controls, and is also more expensive.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that the Fuze has irritating controls. The only thing wrong with them from my POV is that I have trouble setting the volume precisely when listening in a very quiet environment (mostly bedtime).

Some folks very down on the controls of the new touch screen Fuze+ (which I have not tried).

Regardless the Clip+ is a great little player (as is the older Clip). If worried about battery life, get two. (Says a guy with too many mp3 players.)

Steve

Old 11-26-2010, 11:23 PM

Having been an owner of a 16GB View for over 2,5 year, I can say that it has served me well. It sounds okay, the UI is far from good, and sometimes it can behave strangely. I have not had any big problems, though.

However, I would not now, in 2010, recommend it for someone who wants a new player and who will use it as the only player. If you had a main player and wanted a backup or if you had a big music library and wanted a second player, I would say "sure, get a View". It does it's job of playing music and videos and not much more.

If you could think of getting both a Clip+ and a View, you could get a 2GB or 4GB Clip+ and then you would have close to 20GB capacity in total. If the View decides to stop working (others have reported this, I have not noticed anything like that...), you would still have the Clip+ and then you could get a MicroSD card as well.

If you do not want to go over 70 Euro, perhaps a 8GB Clip+ might be the best choice. Then you can get a 8GB MicroSD card.
DAP collection:Cowon S9; Cowon X5V; Creative Zen Vision M; Creative Zen Touch; iRiver H120; JVC XA-HD500; Kenwood HD20GA7; Rio Carbon; Rio Karma; Samsung YH-J70; Sansa Clip+; Sansa View; Sony HD5; Toshiba Gigabeat F20
Earphones:too many to mention...