android
Old 12-19-2010, 05:59 PM

Default AAC+ stereo from new tablets?

Can anyone confirm that these new tablets can play AAC+ audio files? That is about the only way I can make an 8GB device work so I want to make sure before I order a 32 (yes I'm breaking down waiting for the 43). I can link files for testing if someone is willing to test for me. They say aac+ 5.1 which is a blueray standard but I want to confirm that stereo files work. I normally do the encoding from Winamp aac+v1 at 64kbps with an mp4 extension and wrapper.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If I had a file to try I'd be happy to test it for you. Until then the Archos.com Spec page for the 32 does list AAC+ 5.1, so long as it is not copy protected (DRMed). There is no way to get 5.1 out of the 32 though as it doesn't have digital-out in any form. The 43, on the other hand, has HDMI-out which might send 5.1 out via the HDMI cable.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:53 PM

I will send you a private message with some links.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks, Greg_E. I'm listening to them now on my friends 43. Every file you sent plays. No cover art shows up if that matters.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:04 PM

I don't think I put cover art in with any of them. Winamp doesn't really believe in coverart, you have to go fetch them for each album and save them into the folder. Then some players require that the art be encoded into the header of each file... I didn't get very far with album art because I had nothing that was decent to play the files on and it was such a chore.

Thanks for testing, now I either need to commit to the 32 or continue to wait for the 43. I wonder how hard it would be to hack in a micro SD card slot...

Old 12-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

With the right cable, a USB card reader could be attached to the 32. It won't be pretty. I also have a J3, and although its a standout media player, I don't pick it up anymore as my 32 has become my preferred pocket companion. Despite the limited memory, I can play unlimited media from my home server. When not in the mood for music, I can check my email or play a game. When I get bored with any game on my 32 I uninistall it and go find another from the Market. The 43 would obviously better than the 32, but a J3 isn't in the same category.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:50 PM

I was reading about the Winamp app for Android it is suggests that it will sync the PMP with my computer (winamp there too) over the wireless connection which might make life a lot easier to push files back and forth. I may wait until after Christmas and see what happens to the prices though maybe not. I was sitting in my office at work fixing things on the bench and then unloading some shelves to make room for new equipment and thinking it would be nice to have music playing again so I may not last that long.